Problem while testing tone on onkyo receiver

Username: Drkm_4_us

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I got an onkyo tx-sr304 receiver a couple of months back and so far its playing fine. Recently i moved my receiver to a new room and was setting up my system and after that i noticed that i am not getting surround sound. While testing with the "test tone", i'm able to get sound from all channels except rear left and rear right. I checked my wiring and it also looks correct. In SP config, "surround" is set to "small".

First i thought it as a problem with the rear speakers; if i change the connections (make the rear speakers as front ones) and test again it works, so it's not problem with the speakers or connections i think.

I have only speakers 'A' enabled where i can get 5.1.

I'm absolutely clueless on this. Can anybody help me out with this?????

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11619

Go into the set up menu and check that the rear speakers are switched on.

Username: Drkm_4_us

Post Number: 2
Yes, in SP config the surround speakers are set to small. Is there any other place where i need to change?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11638

Sorry to sound stupid but what's SP configuration?

If I understand your original post correctly, you ascertained the rear speakers/cables do work. Have you checked the front speakers connected as rears to find out whether the rear speaker outputs are producing any signal? If the rear speakers/cables work properly when connected to the front channel outputs and the front speakers do not work at all when connected to the rear channel outputs, I would have to say you have a problem that will require a service tech and a visit to a repair shop.

However, if you feel you've done everything properly and you still have no rear channel sound, before you head to the repair shop you might try posting this same question in the "Home Theater" section of the forum. Apparently, there's no one in this section that owns this receiver. You might have better luck posting in the HT section.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 655
Raj- call Onkyo and get the hard reset button configuration off them. Do a hard reset to set the thing back to default settings it was shipped in. If that still doesn't work, double check your polarity to your back speakers(positive, and negative wires are not crossed). If that doesn't work, take it back and get a new one.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 488
Just curious for future info.
Nick, what would the polarity have to do with it?
It may be out of phase, but surely (I think) it wouldnt stop the rears from producing a signal no?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us