Receiver - Seeking opinions/advice

Username: Eckhore

Dunlap, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Currently am using an old Yamaha DSP 3090 for my home theater. Have Boston Acoustic VR20's at the front and Infinity Micro II's in the rear. I am also going to be auditioning a set of Radiient Calypso's (whole set was on sale for $199, thought I'd check em out). The plan is to upgrade all of the speakers in the future. Most likely will stick with Bostons but will audition many. What I am looking for is a receiver. The three I have in my price range and with the features I need are:

HK AVR 247
Onkyo TXSR505
Outlaw 970

I have an Onkyo running music and am pleased with the sound I get. I have not had an HK but have heard many and feel the sound is neutral which I like. Just not sure how the Outlaw stacks up or if there are other units I am missing.

Any thoughts or advice?

Dunlap, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Sorry, not the outlaw 970. Took too many notes today. The budget wouldn't allow for the power am. I was also looking at the Yamaha 661.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 650
For that budget, I would stick with the H/K's and the Onkyo's. Im reading very good things about the new line of Onkyo, and how they are back and doing what they do best. Budget receivers that can perform and bring the functionality to boot.

Dunlap, IL USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Nick. I had heard really good things about the Onkyo as well, but had also heard better things about the sound from the HK. While the bells and whistles are important. I am more concerned with sound. However my 3090 still works and is a power house so I may use it as an amp and the new receiver just as a pre-amp. Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us