Old Onkoyo-Polk Rti4-Klipsch sub configuration

Username: Mikerod007

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have an very old Onkoyo (TX-SV414pro) 60watts per channel in stereo mode. My setup is used mainly for watching movies. I only have two fronts. I have a old klipsch sub SW12 II. I have the speaker wire from receiver to sub then sub to new front Rti4. The Rti4's sound great. However, my Onkoyo has a bass knob and my sub has a knob that also controls bass. The sub knob does not say bass. Its says something else, however, when I turn it, there is a bass difference. How should I set these two bass knobs? I want the Rti4 to provide highs. I want to be able to turn up the volume and not worry about too must bass going to the Rti4's. I have the bass knob on the Onkoyo turned one quarter. I have the knob on the sub turn so that all the bass goes to the sub. Does tuning the knob one quarter the way on the Onkoyo rob the sub of extra bass? It seems like the Onkoyo has enough power. However I have to turn the volume passed half way to get nice yet somewhat loud sound. I have been thinking of getting a HK 3485 2x120 stereo receiver. Will I get an improvement in sound? I have also been considering buying an integrated amp and tuner. Would this be too much power? In the future I might get some nice floor standers that might require the power. Another thing that sucks is the wiring from receiver to sub to Rti4's. I guess I am stuck with configuration due to the old sub I have. I do have RCA connections on the sub. However I tried it once and sounded terible. Help

Bronze Member
Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 18
In terms of the old Onkyo can't say much. But the HK that you are looking at is a solid stereo receiver and Polk's usually match well with any HK. If you do get the HK you can connect the speakers to the line level on the receiver and the sub to the pre-out and have the receiver manage the cut off point. (which is whatever sounds best to you). Also if your sub has a crossover knob on it (it will say some thing like 40Hz-120Hz) or something similar to that then you could you line level on the sub if you want to go that route. Either works. Here is a great site to find Hk stuff cheap. It is the factory store direct from HK on Ebay... all products have a 1 year warranty.

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Receivers_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ10225970 QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8996
Michael, using the sub the way you are now, with the sub sending the power to the polks, you are using the subs high pass filter and the Polks are getting cut at 120Hz.
Thats pretty high, but the sub is not adjustable.
Check out a nice new sub first.

Post Number: 7
"Michael, using the sub the way you are now, with the sub sending the power to the polks, you are using the subs high pass filter and the Polks are getting cut at 120Hz. Thats pretty high, but the sub is not adjustable. Check out a nice new sub first."

Nuck,
I do not understand what you mean by the Polks are getting cut at 120Hz. I did not realise the sub was sending the power. I thought my receiver was sending the power and the sub was filtering the frequency. Nuck, I think I understand. By setting the sub to keep frequencies below 120Hz causes the Polks to receive everything above 120Hz. The reason I set it that way is because if I give more bass via sub filter or the bass knob on the old Onkyo and I turn the volume up, the little woofers in the Rti4's might rattle. Hopefully, when I get my HK3485, I can specify what frequency to send to the Polks and the sub in "bass management"...right? No more bass knob?I think I should be able to do one wire sub out from receiver to sub and separate wires directly from receiver to Polks right? Then configure from bass management. Polks set to small and sub set to large...is that right? or is the configuration numerical for frequency?
Nuck, how should I distributed the frequencies if above 120Hz is too high for Polks. Whatever your recommendation should I do the same when I get the HK3485? I know I am asking a lot of questions. It is much appreciated!

Post Number: 9
I just realize that the HK3485 might not have a bass management feature since it is a stereo receiver. Planning sub configuration seems to require a bit of research. Polk says:

"Subwoofer Hook-Up - This is another common stumbling block when setting up home theater systems. The subwoofer output jack of a processor or receiver may not be the best place to hook up your subwoofer. Why?

Many receivers or processors only direct bass to that output jack when in a surround mode and not in the stereo mode. That means you'll lose the benefit of the subwoofer when playing a stereo source. Your receiver or processor may not do this, check the manual or experiment.
Many receiver and processor subwoofer output jacks are low-pass filtered. That means that there is an internal filter that removes midrange and high frequencies from that output jack. But all powered subwoofers also have a built-in low pass filter. The two filters can interact with each other and degrade the sound. Some receivers and processors allow you to turn off the filter. A very few have subwoofer outputs that are not filtered at all. Check the instruction book and specs to learn what type you have.

If your electronics allow an unfiltered signal to go the subwoofer output jack and if the subwoofer plays in all modes, go ahead and use the subwoofer output jack. Otherwise, there are better ways to hook up your subwoofer."

Anybody agree?

Post Number: 10
"Thats pretty high, but the sub is not adjustable."

Nuck,
I can adjust the crossover knob.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9012
Mike, does the adjustment affect the sub or the outboard speakers?
The factory page states 120 Hz cutoff for the speaker outs.
And 80 Hz for input.
The page seems in a bit of disarray, in fact.

If your mains cannot handle what you are demanding of them, then maybe rethink your expectations?
A nice new sub offers a lot more options, and a lot of them are pretty good, for cheap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The filter on the sub does not affects the outboard speakers. I know it affects the sub for sure. The bass knob on the receiver affects both. I have the bass knob on the receiver turned 1/4. If the bass knob on the receiver affect the sub, it seems like the sub is being robbed of bass. How will a new sub benefit me? I like the auto turn off/on feature. Lets say when I get the HK3485 and use the sub-out on the receiver. If have the bass knob turned 1/4 on the HK, this will affect the sub-out frequency?
Will the same happen if I use the pre-outs to sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Have I put myself in a difficult position by buying the HK3485? It seems like the HK AVR series allows for frequency configuration for each set of speakers. Therefore one can turn up the volume and not worry about speaker getting wrong frequency. Right?

Username: Shahinps

Dubai, U.a.e U.a.e

Post Number: 1
i have a av onkoyo hk sr505e series which home theter system sutable for my av could you ecomend
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us