Klipsch RB-35 opinions

Username: Mikearbia

Post Number: 1
I am in the market for a new pair of speakers and have been considering the Klipsch RB-35. For those of you not familiar with Klipsch, the RB-35's are a large bookshelf with an 8" woofer and a horn type tweeter. I listen to music 75% and movies 25% of the time. I am using the following equipment.
1. HK AVR 340
2. Klipsch Sub KSW 12
3. Klipsch B-2 as mains. (These speakers will be used as rears once new speakers are
purchased)
4. Klipsch SC 1 (center speaker)
5. Marantz 6300 Turntable

I would like some opinions in regards to pairing the RB-35's with Synergy series speakers. I would like to stay within the Klipsch line since all my other speakers are Klipsch, and I do not want to replace all my speakers. Space is of the essence and that is why I have chosen to go with Bookshelf speakers.

Most of the music that I listen to is on Vinyl and I feel that the RB-35 may be a great addition to my setup.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11570

You apparently like the speaker and want to stay with Klipsch. I see no reason to think the various Klipsch speakers will not perform well together in the system you describe. Unless you think this might need more consideration, I would say go ahead and buy the speakers. Certainly, any decent shop will allow a reasonable return/exchange if you decide the pairs don't work well with each other. Of course, if the shop would allow an audition period, that would be advisable.

Do you have any reason to think you really don't want this pair of speakers?

Post Number: 2
Jan

Thanks for your response; you always provide very interesting info.

Unfortunately these speakers have been discontinued by Klipsch, and I can not audition them, however I have auditioned the newer replacement version (RB-81) and really enjoyed listening to them.

There are quite a few reputable online stores selling the RB-35 at a reasonable discount below the RB-81. It is my opinion that there can't be much of a difference between an older model of the same speaker and that is why I have chose to buy the discontinued item.

The RB-81 http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-81.aspx has a lower high crossover frequency of 1800 Hz as opposed to the RB-35 http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/rb-35.aspx crossover at 2350 Hz

There are other very slight differences between the 2; the RB-81 weighs about 6 lbs more.

My main concern is that the Klipsch Reference RB-35 speakers may not blend so well with the somewhat inferior sounding Synergy series speakers that I am looking to integrate them with

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11571

You have to start improving the system somewhere then; don't you? I doubt you'll have any serious problems but, if you do, you'll have an incentive to upgrade from the cheaper speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8967
Mike, since you are 75% music, I would focus on the mains as the musical part of the speakers, so buy what you like for tunes.
The 25% movies?
The center channel is the most important here, that may be a rub.
But with individual channel control from a good receiver, the differences will be negated pretty much, especially in the same Klipch horn delivery.

Post Number: 3
I came across this article that explains the proper way to biwire and biamp speakers that have two sets of binding posts.
http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm

I will not have the capability to biamp, however I will be able to biwire these speakers.

The article gives a good explanation of why biwiring would make a difference. Does anyone know if this would be beneficial? I would imagine that if the speakers have the capability of being biwired I should at least try it.

Thanks

Mike

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11576

So you've purchased the speakers?

Post Number: 4
I have ordered the speakers and they are set to arrive early next week.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8983
Mike, bi-wiring makes a very subtle difference with good ears.
Last thing you need to worry about, unless you want to buy wire.
Get it?
Buy Wire?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11578

Bi-wiring can be as much a marketing tool as a simple path to an audible improvement. Listen to the speakers and get to know what you're hearing. Most shops will loan some cables if you decide to experiment. Do understand bi-wiring is not held in high regard by some high end designers who feel a well designed crossover shouldn't require additional cables to operate properly. On the other hand, there are valid reasons why bi-wiring can improve the system's performance.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2133
An advantage of bi-wiring is that it reduces the effective gauge of the wire (increases the diameter); e.g. if you tied two 16-gauge wires in parallel, that would be equivalent to a single 13-gauge wire. There's a bit more to it, because the wire running to the high frequency driver doesn't see the same circuit as the wire running to the low frequency driver. There should be less current running through the high-frequency wire than in the other one, and that's a reason for potential sonic benefit to occur. But in practice, it likely won't make a bit of difference.

If you like fancy wire, then it might look good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8986
Right, PG, and I think MA has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2134
Right. I wouldn't bother with it either. But I can understand the temptation; the unused terminals make a new buyer feel that they paid for something that they are not using, or to think that they are misusing their new equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8990
Mike was fine till he got to here.
Mike...move on!

More important things to be learned, man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us