Basic amp/receiver questions

Bronze Member
Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 15
On another thread, i mentioned that I was interested in a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands. I currently am running a HK 445 and was told that I might need to upgrade my equipment to run these speakers. I believe they meant to get an amp/preamp however outside of the receiver and speaker world I am a novice. I was recently looking at the NAD C272, would this amp be enough? Would I be amp to us these speakers with a better receiver say from NAD or Rotel? Also if I got the amp would I be able to us the pre-outs on the HK to connect to the amp to power the Mozarts? Would the amp improve sound quality with the HK or would it be best to get and amp/pre-amp set up?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11511

I think the questions were similar. What answers did we provide on the other thread? We hate to contradict ourselves.

Bronze Member

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 16
I'm looking upgrading my speakers from my current one, that are being powered by a Harman Kardon AVR 445. I was looking at floorstanding speakers in the price range of 800-1200 per pair. I came up with Paradigm Monitor 9, Monitor Audio Silver rs6 Definitive Technologies BP 7006, Polk Lsi15, Revel Concerta F12, and either Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 or Opus I or II.

I also like Vienna Acoustics Mozart ( i know they are out of the price but if they are worth waiting a little longer then so be it.) The sound that I am trying to get is crisp, delicate, sweet, warm highs, something that would simply roll out acoustic guitars or make George Winston's December Album sound absolutely amazing. A speaker that creates a warming feeling when it is played. Besides that I sometimes listen to rock and live music. Do any of these speaker that I have listen describe what I am looking for or is there something else out there in this price range.

I later began to think that if it is the highs and mid range that I want to sound great in my system, would it make more sense to buy a really good pair of bookshelf speaker which cost less then there floorstanding counterparts, and match it up to a Hsu or a Velodyne.
For info though i have a 15x15 ish room and the source would be an sacd player, and the speakers would be used for music and that is what i really want to sound good.

That was the original post. (feel free to comment on it as well)

This was the response.

THe Paradigm Monitor 9's are the cream of the crop in the new line of Monitor Series (V5). That said, they shouldn't hold a candle compared to the Monitor Audio Silver 6's. They are an amazing speaker in that price range, and would be my pick out of the speakers listed.IMO. Of course this depends on what you are powering them with(The H/K should be fine). The 8's MW spoke of are also a great speaker for the money. If you go with the Mozarts, be prepared to upgrade your receiver to something more suitable.}}

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11514

I'd look for a pair of used Spendors or Rogers. A LS3/5a deriviative would be my first choice.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2157
The HK may struggle a bit with the Viennas. They're not an easy speaker to drive. That being said, your room is on the small side, so its not as bad. Not to bash the HK - its a good receiver for the money - but its really not in the same class as the Viennas are.

The NAD would more than likely power them sufficiently. I don't know how good they'd match up sonicly. The Viennas are a warm and smooth sounding speaker. NAD is also warm, tries to be smooth, and is soft at the top. It may be too much.

Viennas are very musical speakers, but they need the right electronics synergystically. I'm not a big fan of Primare, but they match very well with Viennas. Primare is a cooler and laidback sound.

Then again, B&K also matches up pretty well, and they can be warm and a little soft too.

Can you hear them together?

Bronze Member

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 17
Will my HK have any problems powering Wharfedale Diamond 9.6? I read some reviews, like to hear them at a dealer if I can find one. Seem to also be what I am looking for.

Username: Afj

Post Number: 1
i have a pair of jbl L890's. am thinking of powering them with the harman kardon hk 3480. i also have the option of using the yamaha ps 2000 as a separate power amp. is it a good option

also whats the difference between a receiver and an amplifier

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12165

You need only post this in one location, fj.

Username: Greco_98

Post Number: 1
I HAVE A HK AVR645 As well as a HK AVR 245. The sound from my 245 is louder than from my 645?? On the 245 Im running Bose 301's and on my 645 im running the Bose Lifestyle Acoustimass 10 series. Volume should be way louder. Max is +8db and it's unbareable. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us