Floorstanding vs. Bookshelf's and a Sub

Bronze Member
Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 13
I'm looking upgrading my speakers from my current one, that are being powered by a Harman Kardon AVR 445. I was looking at floorstanding speakers in the price range of 800-1200 per pair. I came up with Paradigm Monitor 9, Monitor Audio Silver rs6 Definitive Technologies BP 7006, Polk Lsi15, Revel Concerta F12, and either Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 or Opus I or II. I also like Vienna Acoustics Mozart ( i know they are out of the price but if they are worth waiting a little longer then so be it.) The sound that I am trying to get is crisp, delicate, sweet, warm highs, something that would simply roll out acoustic guitars or make George Winston's December Album sound absolutely amazing. A speaker that creates a warming feeling when it is played. Besides that I sometimes listen to rock and live music. Do any of these speaker that I have listen describe what I am looking for or is there something else out there in this price range.
I later began to think that if it is the highs and mid range that I want to sound great in my system, would it make more sense to buy a really good pair of bookshelf speaker which cost less then there floorstanding counterparts, and match it up to a Hsu or a Velodyne.
For info though i have a 15x15 ish room and the source would be an sacd player, and the speakers would be used for music and that is what i really want to sound best.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 751
See if you can find a pair on Monitor Audio Silver 8is used. I am not familiar with HK but Nuck and others will follow shortly with input on them. Somehow I am thinking you will hear more about Paradigms and Wharfdales. The Mozarts are probably in a different league than HK.

How much SACD versus CD will you be listening to?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 513
THe Paradigm Monitor 9's are the cream of the crop in the new line of Monitor Series (V5). That said, they shouldn't hold a candle compared to the Monitor Audio Silver 6's. They are an amazing speaker in that price range, and would be my pick out of the speakers listed.IMO. Of course this depends on what you are powering them with(The H/K should be fine). The 8's MW spoke of are also a great speaker for the money. If you go with the Mozarts, be prepared to upgrade your receiver to something more suitable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us