Seeking advice on Infinity Reference speakers

Username: Wiredcon

Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, and have to say that it is awesome that there are many expereinced audiophiles that are willing to help newbies like myself here. I just wanted to thank you all in advance for any advice that you might have for me.

Ok, here's the question. I've been looking to purchase a decent pair of speakers that I can run on Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX, which I got it free from one of my friends. As a grad student, I'm financially limited and wanted to look into used market for my speakers.

My budget is $500-700, and here's what I've found and wanted to get some advice on what would be the best choice for my situation.

1. My budget is $500-700 (for speakers)
2. My room is 10x10x8 with two windows
3. I have Pioneer elite vsx-35tx to run with
3. I listen to Jazz, instruments, and vocals.
4. I found the following deals to choose from

1) Paradim studio 60 v.1 w/ cc450 for $500
2) Infinity Reference 2000.6(2) front/
2000.1 (2)back w/ stands/ CC3 center/
KHL 10' downfirng sub. 5.1 package for $160

I want to know if infinity speakers are good enough for novice like myself? Or, should I go with Paradigm for future reference when I'm able to upgrade my power source? If it's possible, I'd like to know the compatibility and synergy issues associated with those speakers with my receiver. I know my receiver is most likely cheaper than what you paid for your cables ^_^.

Once again, It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can give me any advice.

Thanks,

Ryan

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 511
WOHH hold up. Where are these Paradigm Studio 60's with the cc450 for 500 dollars?lol If you dont buy them I want to know where I can.

Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Both deals are local in Greater Phoenix area. I met this guy from local dealer on the other night. Both deals are coming from the same guy.

He even offered to listen to those speakers, but he will be driving those speakers with something out of my reach. So, I just wanted to know If I can utilize these speakers with my receiver until I get something more appropriate.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 950
personally, I would never drive any paradigm with a pioneer. Warm speakers with a warm receiver does not really make a good combination.

How soon are you looking to change your receiver?

On second thought, I really don't recommend powering the studio series with a receiver at all, unless it is a high current design.

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
Gavin has a good point. If it was me, for the price of the Paradigm's I would get those. But I would start saving fast to upgrade your receiver to something more suitable. IMO, get the Paradigms. I couldn't pass up that deal.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1358
Ryan Ryan,

Can you please post the name & number of that local dealer, I'm sure there are several memebers, including myself, that would like to get a quote.

Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Those deals are not from a local dealer. I met a guy who happened to be at the same store while I was there. I moved to Phoenix from Miami and so did this gentleman who was at the store. Instead of talking about speakers, we ended up talking about miami hurricanes on that afternoon. I guess the fact that we went to the same college kinda help that he offered me such great deals on both sets of speakers. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

To be honest, I picked up a copy of TAS at the bookstore to kill some time, and there I got into this almost disease-like industry ever since.It was less than a month ago. ::sigh::

One of my friends who happened to be a self-claiming "audiophile" and he gave me his old pioneer receiver to lure me into deeper "darkness." I guess it worked. There I was with a receiver without any speakers! He tried to steer me over to "klipsch" and "Mirage" HT packahge deals, but they were out of my budget and HT was not my interest at all.

I just want to be able to listen to my music collections and "rediscover my music collection," so they say.

Anyway, I decided to be a bit greedy and go for both sets of speakers (these deals are too cheap to pass up). And worry about the rest later. I think I will be just happy to looking at those speakers in my room (for now at least). Well, I feel like a kid at the candy store.

I'll be able to come up with some extra funds within few months (once I start working in Nov again).

Ok, here's another set of questions. If you guys think that there's no way that pioneer can drive paradigm speakers, what would be my options? What routes are available for me?

Is pioneer bad even for the infinity set?

Any input will be grealty appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
I almost forgot to ask about this "warm" seapker and "warm" receiver.

When they refer something to be "warm", is that mean that either that speaker, or receiver is tend to produce warm sounds?

If so, warm+ warm combination is considered to be a bad thing? Should I try to match "bright+warm"? Or, is it entirely depends on personal taste?

Once again, I thank you all of you who replied with kind comments.

Regards,
Ryan

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1359
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but my brother has a Pioneer VSX-D514/Infinity Alpha 20 set-up, and it's a bit edgy, leaning towards bright. However, the HT pseudo-surround modes are pretty good, if you're into that sort of stuff.

Considering your budget, consider Marantz, Harman-Kardon, or for just a few bucks more NAD. These manufacturers tend to make more musically inclined receivers.

The term "warm" generally describes a comforting balance to the sound, with a seamless blend between clear highs, accurate mids, and tight bass.

Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your input C.M. My budget for speaker was around 500-700, and I can come up with another $1500-2000 within next few months that I can spend on an amp.

I'll just stick with infinity set with pioneer until I get enough money to buy an amp for paradigm speakers.

Within $2000, what kind of options do I have in power amp? Or, should I consider an int amp?

Ah, one more thing. I got some monster ICs and I was wondering if there's any noticeable difference between audioquest ICs and Monster? I just can't seem to get over the fact that it would cost rougly $100 a meter on cables. Is it really worth it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
Ryan- For now you can still use the Pioneer receiver, just dont crank it, and it probably wont sound the best. Paradigm are a very Neutral speaker, and will represent the sound of the source/amp very well. I have NAD hooked up to all paradigm, and to me it sounds great. NAD is warm, and therefore my overall sound is quit warm. You have a great speaker coming your way. I really do like your Paradigm's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us