Creek Evo vs. Rega Brio3

Username: Montalti

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

As you can see post #1! I've reading these forums for a while and below has spurred me into writing.

At the moment Superfi has the Creek Evo amplifier for £300 and you can buy the Rega Brio3 for £330.

Which represents the better deal?

I will be listening on Dynaudio 42's (or 52's if there's a good deal around) with my computer as the source (don't worry - through an EMU 0404 PCI sound card and with completely lossless codecs).

If I do ever buy a CDP I know the Apollo is hard to go past, but should I let the whole 'one-brand Amp + CDP' thing get to me?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1612
Michael, in answer to your last question, the answer is 'not really' imho. But while synergy in brands is usually a good thing it isn't necessarilly the be-all to end-all. As far as comparison between the two very good amps on your list - the answer lies with your ears and which will drive those (hungry) speakers well for the levels you require.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5408
Yep.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2398
Michael,

MR and Art are on the money. Regarding which presentation of amp you'll prefer, only you can tell. I just wanted to mention something. If you went with the Brio which I know well (I haven't used the EVO), I would not buy 52s, irrespective of price. The Brio can drive 42s happily and will make a good job of driving them, but 52s are a different kettle of fish and the minimum you need to drive them properly is a Mira in the Rega range. If you want3ed a more expensive speaker, make sure that the impedance characteristics are an easy load. Things that come to mind are Rega's own speakers (up to the R5), B&W's new 68x series, Focal's latest Chorus 700V range and Naim nSats or Arivas (good deals going around on the latter since it is now discontinued).

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us