Outclassing in a system

Username: Wildman10387

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 8
I currently have a H/K 445 hooked up to two Boston Acoustics CR75 (6.5" inch bookies) and a Boston Sub. The receiver seems to outclass the speakers for example it sounds as if the speakers are trying to be pushed past there sound quality level. I'm not sure if this can be true or not. It just might be that my ear is not used to this set up. I previously had these same speakers hooked up to an old (late 90's early 00's) pioneer entry level receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11368

" ... it sounds as if the speakers are trying to be pushed past there sound quality level."

I think you'll have to be more specific about what you are hearing.

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 9
It feels/sounds like the single woofer is not enough to handle all the sound that the receiver is trying to disperse. Almost as if there needs to be two drivers to help distribute the sound. A bottle neck affect of sorts, to much being pumped out the receiver which is all trying to squeeze out the speakers... Or could it simply be that I do not like the sound that the new receiver speaker combo is creating. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1340
There is nothing wrong with the Boston Acoustics CR series, they are very capable.

I listened to the CR67 paired with a Marantz, an NAD, an NAD Master Series, and finally a McIntosh this past weekend, and they sounded wonderful, so I doubt the HK would push your CR75 beyond their sound quality level.

like Jan said, be more specific, what are you hearing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
What are you listening to? What is your source?

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 10
Radiohead, Alt rock... the source is analog coming from my computer MP3 192 kps

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5394
MP3....

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2604
The culprit..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
umm-humm

Bronze Member

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 11
is there anything i can do to enhance the sound quality, I have a laptop that I am playing music from. Occasionally, i will use CD through my dvd player hooked up via a digital optical cord, will that give me the best sound I can get, although I may not have the best equipment in terms of DVD player (samsung).

Bronze Member

Holden, Massachusetts

Post Number: 12
P.S Do any of you have any opinions on the Infinity Beta series in terms of the floorstanding speakers from that line or would it be wiser to stick with the Boston lineup for floorstanding speakers or is there anything else. I heard mixed reviews of the Paradigm monitor line with and H/K hooked-up to them, plus they are hard to find online.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11369

What big city are you close to? Have you auditioned anything better than the Bostons?

I kinda think everyone here feels it's impossible for MP3 driven/DVD playing CD speakers to ever sound like what's in front of them is too good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1347
I would suggest you audition them for yourself, but the Infinity Beta is one of the best budget-minded series on the market today, IMHO.

I own the Beta 20.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1348
But don't take my word for it:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/805infinity/

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/infinity_beta50_betac360_betaes250_sw1 2.htm

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/infinity-beta-speakers-2-2005-part-1. html

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 324
Chris, if you're intent on listening to MP3's and want to squeeze a bit more sound quality out of your rig, I would suggest using an outboard DAC instead of streaming from your PC's soundcard.

I recently added one of these to my PC based system, and it made a huge difference:

http://www.audiomagus.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,25/fly page,shop.flypage_modern/product_id,31/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2606
Bah! I just hook my Pc's digital audio out to my receiver's digital audio in! Of course, not all computers have standard digital audio connections.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11371

All well and good, Andre. But you are mainly concerned about high volume levels and just recently asked about the low quality of sound from your components.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 325
Exactly...

Username: Grooveyguy

Chilliwack, Bc Canada

Post Number: 6
I own the same receiver and everything sounds fine from my PC using analog. I use an auzentech x meridian with LM 4652 opamps and it actually sounds better than the optical output. Have you set up your speakers and subs xover properly?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2608
High volume is secondary to the sound quality since you can't do much without sound quality.

I'd think sound quality is even more important at higher sound levels.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11375

Higher sound levels are not that important to everyone.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11376

Andre - There's a lot to be said for a system that sounds very good when it's played at low levels. A system that has to be turned up to sound decent is lacking in many areas. When you can hear all that's there to be heard at low levels, it will probably sound good at high levels.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2609
Um not to hijack...new thread.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1007
I wouldn't underestimate what is possible from a PC these days Jan.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11377

I didn't think I was. The comment above has to do with the entire system not just the source. Of course, the source must be right before the above comments have any significance.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 739
Back to Andre on this thread as the thread he started doesn't cater to this point.

I have recently calmed down my pre-amp. It sounded fine before I did anything, but after I did something, which improved the SQ, I was able to dial up the volumes to levels even I could not stay in the room with, and my MACs never even flickered in any protection mode.

The point is the better the SQ the louder you can bring it.

Having said that I prefer Jan's point, if it sounds clean and detailed at low volume you have really got something going.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1009
Just makin sure Jan. Of course, last night is a bit of a blur now, so I'm not entirely sure why I said that; but ohh well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us