existing 56" 16x9 sony and panasonic dvd player. So far, I've
narrowed it down to the following:

Left & Right: Klipsch RCR 5 (in wall)
Center: Klipsch SC.5
Surround: CS 650-R (in-wall)
Sub: Polk PSW202
Receiver: hk avr 325.

From what I've read, klipsch speakers and hk receivers are the way to
go but before I commit on anything, I'd like get some independent reviews/comments on my selections. If you think I'm making a big
mistake, please feel free to rip my selection to shreds (if possible, please recommend replacement). Thanks for much for your time.

james.

timn8ter
I'm assuming that because you're choosing in-wall speakers you're more concerned with how it looks than how it sounds. Is that true? The reason I say that is as a general rule speakers sound better out in the room than they do against (or in) a wall.

Anonymous
I'm thinking of going with the in-ceilings only because I don't have any space in the living room. Do you think it sounds that much worse? I mean will it be noticeable? Thanks for your help.

james.

TDK
From what I read in recent issue of Sound&Vision, mounting speakers in the ceiling is the way for a future to come.

timn8ter
Hmm. If the idea behind audio reproduction is to create the illusion of "being there" how does sound coming from the ceiling do that? Has someone figured out how to make soundwaves perform a 90 degree turn? As for in-wall speakers; if they didn't sound different why would Seigfried Linkwitz design his "ultimate" loudspeaker system with an open back that is meant to be placed at least 4 feet from the wall? I don't see "ultimate" loudspeaker designs coming from anybody that are in-wall. Yes, they do indeed sound different. Unfortunately, in the real world, we don't always have the option of putting our loudspeakers where they will sound the best. If your best option is what you're proposing then the Klipsch are fine. They have an adjustable horn which helps.

Anonymous
timn8ter & tdk

Thanks for your insightful comments!

G-Man
In wall speakers as a rule are much worse than comparably priced bookshelf speakers or tower speakers. The reasons are obvious---your walls aren't damped and made with very dense wood or other materials to control the vibrations and get predictable performance.

Of course, if you don't have other options then you get in wall speakers. But they will never sound like a great surround system because there is no speaker cabinet to "tune them in" optimally. They are sitting in various size enclosures between wall studs. But they will sound better than tv speakers by far and if you aren't that concerned about precise imaging and soundstage and some added distortion--they will do.

The in wall speakers that are the best have complete cabinetry around them and then you install them in the wall. This ameliorates many of the problems with just sticking a plain speaker in the wall.

Hawk
I have never heard the Klipsch in-wall speakers, but generally speaking, you are correct that Klipsch mated with a good H/K receiver are a good combination. Have you heard these in-wall speakers? If you have and you like the sound, go for it. However, don't underestimate the problem of wiring in-wall speakers--it can be a difficult task.

Knowing you have space limitations, you may look into speakers that are meant to hang on the wall. NHT's bookshelf model are all made to mount to the wall (SB-1, SB-2 and SB-3). Also, Aperion Audio makes their speakers to hang on the wall and there is a very fine system from JMlab called the "sib/cub" (leave it to the French for a really stupid name). The sib/cub sounds great for about the same amount of money you are going to spend and it comes with wall mount brackets that swivel included in their price. It has also has a nice sub included in the system that is much better than the Polk, IMO.

Assuming you proceed with the Klipsches, my only suggestion revolves around your choice of subwoofer. The Polk sub is rather weak and colored. I know it can be had rather cheaply, but I think you can do much better for the $200 range. Check out the PSB Subzero-i at DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com). They have refurbs for $199 and it is a much better subwoofer. You may also want to step up a bit and look at the Phase technology Power 8 from One Call (www.onecall.com). It lists for $325, but they often have it on sale for much less. Or, look into a Paradigm PR-12 (12" woofer) which lists for $419, but can be had for about $325.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
I've decided to stay with the inwalls and take Hawk's recommendation of changing out the Polk sub. Thanks everyone!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us