Amplifier Power

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2591
I was at school the other day and my friend was talking about how awesome his new stereo was and how powerful it was. I asked him what model it was and just looked it up.

Amplifier Total Peak Power : 1000 watts
Low: 200 watts/channel (1khz, 1 ohm, 30% THD)
High: 200 watts/channel (10khz, 1 ohm, 30% THD)
Subwoofer: 200 watts (100hz, 1 ohm, 30% THD)

Frequency Response 30hz-24khz (-23dB)

Speakers: 5" Woofer, 2" Tweeter, Piezo Supertweeter

Input Power 10w

Subwoofer 6" Woofer Input Power 50w

These ratings don't even make sense! It's a good thing he bought it at a garage sale for like $10, if it's even worth that.

E-Gads, my receiver is less powerful than his stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 116
andre... he overpaid! that sounds like one of those home theater in a box junk. and your receiver isnt anywhere near less powerfull than his, I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about my man. have fun with what you got cause you got a quality unit.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2592
No can't you see the pure AWESOMENESS of his HTiB

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 446
Someone couldn't pay me 10 dollars to take a HTiB.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
I have heard some damn good HTiB's. played one against a H/K, NAD, rotel, no comparison! the HTiB won in everyway, oh did I mention It was a sony! lol

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11349

Andre - It's not nice to make fun of what someone else owns. Invite him over to hear a good system and be humble. If he still believes his is better because it's more "powerful", that's his loss. You can only lead someone in the right direction, you can't make them think.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 559
Wow Andre did you really mean 30% distortion which would be unbearable, your average receiver into 8 Ohms would be about .05-.5%

I have heard some damn good HTiB's. played one against a H/K, NAD, rotel, no comparison! the HTiB won in everyway, oh did I mention It was a sony! lol

Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your perception of good audio. Although not as good as higher-end audio, An HK, NAD or Rotel receiver with a decent speaker setup will blow the snot out of any HTIB,(especially Sony) system in terms of sound and build quality. Take a look at the units power consumption numbers,not power output Andre and report back, the figures above are meaningless.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8739
Oh sure, just throw in polite reason on the kid, JV.
Andre, I thought your Sunday School teaher learned you better.

The Nuns, the nuns

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2594
Wow I hate it when no one understands me lol

I guess I can't tell you what happened at school one day without getting bashed about making fun of someone when I wasn't.

I guess I should at least try and tell you what I was trying to say.

1. He was bragging about the awesomeness of his stereo.

2. I looked it up.

3. The specs are horrible.

4. I do not intend to say anything about it.

5. I normally do not say much at school. I may average 20 words a day after marching band practice.

Note: Why are people trying to tell me to re-evaluate my perception when I already know all this stuff and I'm just joking around a little. You know, power consumption isn't the only thing to look at. You have to know efficiency and amp type along with many other things (specifically with the innards of the amp along with sources and every other little detail).

Thanks for reading. No, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone. I now know to stay away from the amp section! Thanks..

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8754
Don't get all huffy Andre, just posting in response to the words that you put on my screen.
If you shy away we will be denied the chance to bring up a young engineer just the way we need you to be.
Relax, man.
We need you to head a team that makes the next best amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 561
No Andre I wasn't telling you to re-evaluate your perception, I was talking about shawnboy who seems to have had a Jekkyl and Hyde episode where in his first post he bashes HTIB systems then in his next post he says that there performance is better than the best recievers (HK, NAD, Rotel) which even used with somewhat crappy speakers are still realms beyond a HTIB system. Just relax no one is making fun of you. 30% distortion would be absolutely awful,unlistenable really. Most HTIB systems I have seen are around 10% which is still 10X greater than even an entry model rec. which is about 1% or less. The power consumption figure is not a tell all about a piece of gears wattage output,true, but from what I know and have discussed with others in the electrical,electronic engineering field it is reasonable indication of the total power output(W) that an amp can produce and then figure on subtracting roughly 40-50% from this figure. And yes of course, it does not indicate how an amp will perform when connected to a speaker. The Pioneer Elite line of recievers have several upgrades over their regular lines,specifically in terms of amplifier build quality.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2596
Yes, you're right. I responded a bit harshly, although not THAT badly. The fact that I plan to be an engineer in audio doesn't mean I'm going to design something next-gen.

Eric, I think Shawn is just joking around.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
hey eric andre is right I was just kidding man! sarcasm is our friend, I own a H/K system and think it rocks, you gotta know when someone is being sarcastic and when they are not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
OK shawnboy just checking.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

UK

Post Number: 431
Frequency Response 30hz-24khz (-23dB) - Stunning!

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
LOL A.V that would mean that nearly the entire audio bandwith of the amplifiers output would be unhearable(-23dB)!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2382
HTiB's that would make most people's day:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_solo_movie_intro.cfm

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/n-vi.html

http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_g91.htm

And if you haven't heard this thing below, try to find a dealer somewhere - it's awesome, better than many a HiFi system I've played with in the past, fills large rooms easily and even provides a measure of surround sound on DVD:

http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_f80_frame.htm

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 750
Nice post Frank, if I ever decide to care about HT Meridian will be in my sights.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2392
Mike,

Actually, the little Meridian F80 is damn good at music. That's the surprising thing. It has this huge scale and fills large rooms easily with only 80w of power and a built-in 2.1 system. It's truly remarkable. Traditionally I haven't been a big fan of Meridian's musical presentation, but I admit that this little beast has me wondering about their latest stuff...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us