Some Speakers

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2589
I am not really looking for specific speaker recommendations here, unless you know they fit my descriptions.

I will admit my current speakers are a mix of JBL 4311 control monitors and KLH AV5001s and the JBLs are great, but the KLH seem to be lacking.

I recently upgraded my receiver, and the result was it sounds a whole lot better. The problem is not with the JBLs, since they sound so much better now and get a lot louder while actually sounding good. This is not so with KLH. They have improved sound, but their volume limit is still relatively the same. I have turned them up, but the tweeters start to ring at higher volumes and the woofers start hitting their limits while the midrange makes a distorted sound.

Here's what I currently own for a system:

KLH AV5001 Speakers for mains

JBL 4311s for surrounds

Pioneer Elite Vsx-91txh receiver

Straightwire interconnects, Standard Speaker Wire

Magnavox AV123 Dvd Player, Xbox

In slight specifics, here's what I want to improve.

1. Sound Quality! It sounds a lot better than it used to, but I want to improve it again, as it does not meet the SQ it should. One possible thing I might be having trouble with is the source. I might want to get a Universal DVD Player along with an SACD and DVD-Audio DVD or two to try out. ->>I'd like to know other things I might want to improve as well<<-

2. Volume - I'm not really sure what the capabilities of my amp are, so I might need to measure how much it's putting out and compare the corresponding volume to find out. I might find it's just my speakers only being able to take so much.

3. BASS ... Extension! I know they're only speakers and I am going to build a sub, but I'd like speakers with low-distortion, especially in the bass.

I think if I take care of some of these problems, specifically my source (the INTERNET!? low bitrates..ech) and speaker limitations, I'll be much happier with things.

Thanks for help or broad recommendations or tips. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 712
Switch the JBLs into the mains and the KLHs into the surrounds, see what that does.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2590
Hmm...is this viable?

I don't have stands for the JBLs; wouldn't that be a problem?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 714
Improvise, it is not about SQ it is about seeing if it is a speaker issue, connection issue, or the mains of your Pioneer.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2595
I'm just saying all of my sources are of low quality. I had the same problems with the old receiver, so I can rule out it being the Pioneer.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2597
Where's a GOOD guide for speaker setup?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2601
I have spent a couple hours doing some speaker movement and such. I recalibrated the system now there's a LOT more bass throughout (yet I moved the speakers away from the wall) and the depth and width seems more correct.

I will try this out for a couple days to see if I still think the same thing.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2102
A good speaker placement page -
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audio-topics/7
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us