Nad 7100 vs Nad 720Bee

Username: Ta2ude

Post Number: 1
Hi all, new to this forum so not sure what to expect here, but here it goes.
First off let me start by saying I in no way consider myself an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to "good" sounding music.
I have a Nad 7100 receiver that I bought around 1990 and have enjoyed it with absolutely NO problems ever since. I realize this isn't high end equipment but it is very "decent". I am looking for a receiver for my garage speakers(Paradigm Titans)that will also power a set of speakers for around the pool (Polk Audio Atrium 45's).
My 7100 is powering a set of Paradigm Esprit Monitors, I believe the receiver is a little under powered for these speakers but it does work fairly well.

So finally the question is how does the 720BEE compare to my 7100??? Which receiver should I use in the garage? I am not really sure if I understand all the specs to their fullest extent, so all of you audiophile elites please take it easy on me and my ignorance here :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8678
Tuck, have you seen the new range of receivers from NAD?
Put the old 7100 in the garage and start shopping!

Post Number: 2
Finally a response from someone. Thanks Nuck.
Can you direct me to any reviews on the 720bee, I haven't been able to find much. I have seen them going on e-bay brand new for about $350.00 CDN. seems like a good deal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8684
If the deal looks ggod Tuck, then go ahead. I do not put a lot of faith in reviews, cause they are up and down depending on who pays the bills, sorry.
The new 965, 975 receivers have gotten some press, I think you're oldie passed by the issues that NAD had, and now seems to have corrected.If you like the NAD presentation, you might like the new ones.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 403
mmmMmmMmmm NAD. Nuck is right check out the new line. I just heard their new stuff this weekend. Better than ever. And solid. New receivers are all 10-15 pounds heavier on average. The 720bee for 350 is a good deal, I would pick it up for that much, and if you dont like it re-sell it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8689
Nick, you missed a little frothy drool there.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2093
James,

I don't think there's a lot of reviews if any out there for the 720BEE. Have a look at the reviews for the 320BEE. Its the same amp with a tuner and a few others added. The 320BEE is a great amp for its price, as is the 720BEE.

I haven't heard the 7100 specifically, but the 720BEE should run circles around anything NAD produced around that time.

The only other stereo receiver I would consider is the Outlaw. I don't know the model number off the top of my head. I haven't heard it, but it gets great reviews and some people I respect have said it is very good.

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys.
I bought a 720BEE off e-bay on the weekend brand new for $355.00 CDN. should be here in a couple of days.

Now for another stupid question....can someone explain to me how the bridgeable amping works on the NAD units. If I were to buy say a C352 and "bridge" it with my reciever would this make a significant difference/be worthwhile? They are selling on e-bay for around the same price.
The reason I ask is my Paradigm Esprit Monitors seem to be a little power hungry and I have always felt my receiver wasn't quite up to the job of powering them. I really enjoy the speakers but always wondered if adding an amp would make much of a difference or not.

Post Number: 4
I just found some specs on my old and new receiver and was wondering if someone here could help me decifer them.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_7100.pdf
http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_720bee.pdf

About all I can tell is that my old receiver is actually more powerfull, the rest I honestly don't fully understand.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 406
I got some on my shirt Nuck.lol.

Jason, bridging a couple amps will douple your power output. I don't think the Espirit Monitors are all that hard to power, but im not sure on that. But if you feel they are hungry for more power, bridging two amps should solve your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us