NAD T752 - repair or replace ?

Username: Joeubbu

Post Number: 1
I own an NAD T752 AVR with a dead/dying front left channel. Output to the front left channel is low volume and hissy. This problem persists regardless of the input source, input type (analog / digital), and listening mode (stereo, PL, PLII, ...). By swapping various inputs and outputs, I believe the problem is somewhere upstream of the front left pre-out. Strangely, the problem went away for about 2 days after playing with the pre-out / main in connections before spontaneously returning.

I have owned the unit for 3.5 years and already had the firmware upgrade under warranty (v1.22 A7). The unit had worked well after the firmware upgrade until the recent front left problems.

Based on posts here and elsewhere, it appears that NAD AVRs are plagued with quality problems. I have already contacted the Service Bench in Norwood, MA and Stereo Repair in Setauket, NY. Both advise this unit is not a good candidate for repair.

United Radio in Syracuse, NY is willing to take a look at the unit, but had not feedback on their track record with these units. UR will diagnose and automatically fix the problem if it can be done for under $150. If the repairs would cost more than $150 they offer the option to decline the repair, in which case I would only be charge for shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with similar problems / repairs with NAD AVRs? I would not mind spending some money (< $200) fixing the T752, but given all of the bad things I have read and heard about these units, I would be afraid this route would amount to throwing good money after bad. Option B would be to simply replace the unit, e.g. with a refurbed Marantz from acessories4less.com.

Many thanks,
Joe

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 373
JDS. I have to deal with NAD on one occasion on fixing my older T762. The 7X2 series, especially the T752 have their problems. Your repair should be a quick solder (just woke up cant spell) and should cost you less than 200 dollars. IMO at least see how much it is going to cost you. NAD claims they have worked out all the bugs since the T754 was released. They just released a whole new line as well. Time will tell. But anyway, see how much its going to cost you, I really dont think its going to be that much. Your Option B may be a disappointment to you. If you have lived and loved the sound of your NAD product, going to a refurbished Marantz may not be the answer.IMO.Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us