Planar guys, need help on this one please.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 877
I am going to be moving shortly, and have a slight problem...

I have room for my maggies, but am going to have an issue with the placement. The left speaker will be about 3-4 feet from a corner, while the right speaker will not be near a corner, but still the recommended distance from the wall.

The side wall will for all intents and purposes be in the null point of the speaker. But being they are a dipolar design, I belive that sound will be reflected off the wall, into the corner, and back to me from the left side.

I am afraid this will not work to my advantage to put it mildly.

I have never tried an arrangement in a room like this, and do not want to end up with a sonically worthless sound system.

I called Magnepan, but the tech support team is at a trade show this week.

This does not need to be resolved for several weeks, but am just looking for some good advice..

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5316
You'll need to try it to see if you really have a problem. The first room I had Maggies in was much like you describe and I had no problems at all.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11219

No sense anticipating problems until you're certain they exist.

Move along, everybody, move along. Nothing to see here, nothing at all. Let's all just move along. Nothing to see, nothing to see. Move along.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 193
'problem' may be a non-starter.
I have a pair of MG-1s which are positioned almost exactly as you describe.
LH speaker 2ft from side wall and 2ft from backwall.
RH speaker not near a corner, but a hall entry with 2ft to backwall, as the other speaker.
Careful positioning is, as usual, the key to making these things work.

Jan's rite. Don't worry until you actually HAVE a problem. Worst case will be some room treatment to straighten up the asymetry.

I once had mine in a room so small I had to swap the Left for Right speakers to get them to sound good. The room couldn't have been more than 1000ft3. likely less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us