Should I Repair CD In Good Sony Micro System?

Hi there -- I live in Wash DC, and recently bought a used Sony CMT ED1 for child's bedroom. Sounds and looks great, but the CD is finicky, at best. I hear a mechanical sound when trying to play most discs, so assume something's out of alignment. Saw the following from a reviewer on Eopinions: "My CD holding mechanism required replacing ... the glue holding the 'lock' becoming unstuck, CDs were not being held in a horizontal position and ended up spinning tilted."

I got a good price on this used (now I know part of the reason why), so am willing to spend a reasonable amt if that's possible and this will be fixed effectively. (We also have two Sony boomboxes with CDs that mostly don't work anymore. B/c they were no more than $50 new, I'm not planning on fixing them unless someone can suggest a cost-effective way to do so.)

Glad to see eCoustics around again. I found your site to be fantastic a few years ago when I invested in some higher end equipment. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some advice.

Ugh ... called Sony, and they said they'd charge $115 to fix it. Called an electronics shop in suburban MD that guessed $130. Am I out of luck? I'll hold on in the hope that one someone can propose a (much) less expensive alternative.

Again, thanks in advance.

Did you try cleaning the laser with some spirit (or vodka) on a some cotton? It has fixed some CD-players for me before...

Tom Dickinson
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I own a Sony F510 boombox, combination CD/Cassette/AM-FM radio. Recently, the cassette mechanism started malfunctioning: the auto-stop mechanism engages immediately after pushing either the play or the fast-forward key; thus dis-engaging the play mechanism and going to stop mode. I've taken it apart, but can't seem to determine what is causing the tape auto-stop function to engage prematurely.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Tom Dickinson

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony CFD-S38 combination boombox that works great except for the CD player part. When a CD is placed in the holder and you press play, the message says "No disk"....changing disks don't matter. Any ideas? I don't think the CD spins at all. After seeing repair costs here, should I just assume it's not going to work or is there something I can try?

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 30
Repairing cd players isn't unsually cost-effective. It's a shame on the midi-sized ones because they belong to a system and you can't just go out and buy a matching one. The alternatives are to buy a cheap full-size separate and place it underneath the midi system....or pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed - and that's providing they can fix it.Might be worth taking it to your local cheap electronics repair man to see if it's something simple, if not then ditch it.

Username: Cpickers

Post Number: 1
The Sony CMT-ED1 comes with a a silver disc about 3" across which you have to put on top of the CD to weight it otherwise you get problems when it plays. If you haven't got this item then that is your problem, and you should be able to get a replacement from Sony.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us