Speaker Wire

Username: Leted_82

Post Number: 1
I realize this is a VERY basic question, but I guess that is where my knowledge is at when it comes to this. I have a Sony 5.1 home theater system, and I am moving it into my basement. With the new placement the wires are not long enough. They are the very small (24 guage I believe) wires, with color coded plastic contectors that go into the rear of the DVD player/theater system.

With those connectors present, what is the best way to add length to the wires? Also, is there a way (and is it necessary) to upgrade to better grade wires? If so, how do I do that (with the plastic connectors)? Thanks alot for any help you can provide!!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8472
T, pick a gig ol' roll of 18g wire from Home Depot. It will be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Dl_spry

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 27
CAT 5 will also work well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8474
too messy. 18g speaker wire on the big honkin' roll.
Unless you like messy connections and blue cable.

If you are into connections, then go ahead, T.
There are some fun DIY's out there.

Won't matter a lick to the sound over regular runs.

Bronze Member
Username: Dl_spry

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 28
I use white CAT 5 and I am not sure of what you are talking about when you say "messy connections".

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11177

Unless RS and HD are selling their cables with RCA connectors attached, none of your advice is likely to help T.

T - If your plastic connectors look like these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector, you'll have to extend the cables with similar cables. You most likely cannot upgrade your cables since thin cables are what go with RCA connectors. Unless you're running over 50' in length to each speaker the cable gauge you have will be OK. How much too short are your speaker cables? 5 feet? 10 feet? Try Radio Shack. I think they still sell extension cables similar to what you own.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 552
Cat 5 sucks for speaker wire- capacitance is through the ceiling as compared to zip cord or better quality speaker wire. It's designed to work with telephone and computer networking systems. If you bundle many lengths of cat 5 to form Litz wire of suitable gauge for speaker wire then your left with a thick woven plastic rope thats much more of a mess than a traditional speaker wire. Is it worth the effort?

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
Forgot to add that it specifically designed for data transmissions which have a small amount of signal current as opposed to a speaker level signal which is much greater amount of current.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11180

ER - Try posting once without bashing Litz cabling.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8477
JV's first post with an emoticon.
A sign of the apoc, apoc... aw hell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
That probably won't happen Jan, but I will apoligize for diverting the subject of the thread..

Unfortunately he did not specify a model#, but if T's system is like this- http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/DAVHDX267W.p df
then he is in luck because the speakers have terminals instead of being 'hard-wired". The plugs and original wire to the rec/amp must stay since this is the only way to connect the speakers. So the only real solution is to splice(something I usually do not reccomend with a speaker wire) the factory wire to an additional length of wire, a larger gauge is in order because additional resistance is being added to the circuit,which may cause problems, and this should be kept as minimal as possible. 18AWG should be ok but If 16 will fit inside the speaker terminals I would go with it for "good measure". The proper way to do this would be to twist the wires together then crimp them with a small metal band together. Next apply a thin skin of solder with a low to no Pb content and about 3-4% Ag content,which in my experience works well for electronic applications at least with my Weller analog station. Next wrap tightly as possible with Teflon tape(you listening Randy W.-hehe) or electrical tape and the finally seal the whole thing in heat shrink wrap tubing. This is a very sturdy splice that should be servicable for many years to come. Since he may not be confident to do all this the he may skip the soldering and shrink tubing. Good to blog again with Jan and Nuck and I hope your able to work out a solution to your problem T.

ER

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 587
I dont understand the idea of using Cat5 cable! I bought some of that, infact Cat6 for networking into my room.
Probably got to agree with Eric on the use of Cat5 for speaker wire.

Talking of which my chord carnival classic has just come so I'll be hooking that up..right now!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8485
JJ, there are lots of DIY with cat5 and 6.
It drives some amps batty.

Post impressions of the Chord?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 588
Quite possibly the best thing I've ever bought!! My god its the perfect cable, this is what I've been looking for!

Comparing to my gale xl105 which is muddy, boring and too bass heavy. Comparing to the qed silver anni. xt which is detailed, a bit bright and metallic on female voices.
The chord carnival is all copper, and its stiff hard copper. The entire cable itself is THICK with the insulation!

It's a perfect combination of bass attack with depth and precision. The midrange is displayed very musically, far more musically than the other two cables imo. The treble IS NOT harsh which is what I've been complaining about for weeks.

The soundstage is immense, I can almost feel myself warping into stages of the music. If that makes sense.

To me, for £22 for a 2 X 4m pair with plugs, it is my bargain of the year. Detail, presense, engagement. Love it.

p.s with cambridge audio 540 amp, and wharfedale diamond 8.1 speakers.

(atacama nexus 6 stands coming next week)

(wharfedale evo2-10s coming in a month)

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2563
I personally use CAT5 because it's all I have and it does the job for me. I did use 14g insulated speaker wire for the mains though (there went $20 I guess).

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 253
I thought CAT5 cable was for ethernet wiring (at least that's what I've always used it for). How the heck do you use it for speaker cable?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 915
It's still just copper wire on the inside. I've got a few spools of it, but I prefer the simple dignity of using regular speaker wire, as "interesting" as some of the DIY experiments with CAT5 look.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us