Marantz 5400, 6300, 7400, 8400, or ??? for B&W 602

Username: Silentfool

Post Number: 1
I'm looking at getting a pair of B&W 602 s3's to start my home theater system, but i'm trying to decide on a reciever to go with them.

I've already purchased a marantz 5 disc dvd player and i would like to match my components if I can. I was originally thinking of going with the 6300 model, but after reading reviews and message boards i hear more and more about the 5400 and the 7400. Ultimately, I'm thinking that I would like to upgrade to a Rotel reciever and amp or the Marantz 8400 perhaps.

What should I do? buy the 5400 to hold me over until I can upgrade or hold off a while and just go for something bigger like the 7400-8400? there's another post that talks about the 5400 vs the 6300 and i'm still not sure on that one either since they are practically the same price. any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 605
Dave:

I definitely like the Rotel receiver right nowas they are closing them out for new models. I the RSX-1055 at my local dealer marked down to $999, which is a very good price. If you can get an RSX-1055 for under $1K, I think that would be the best match, but the marantz is also a very good match. I would suggest the 7400, though, as I think its additional power will open up the B+Ws more than the 5400 will.

I have an even better idea I just remembered--get the Marantz 7300ose, their special edition. They are being closed out for $750 and they are the equal of the 8400. Here is the link--only two left, so you need to act if you want it:

http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/items.asp?CartId=1380964-EVEREST-2JULAY89&Cc =RECEIVER&tpc=

Good luck!

Username: Silentfool

Post Number: 2
I have it down to 3 options now- the SR5400, SR6400, and 7300ose. I realize that the obvious choice is to go with the 7300ose, but my wife doesn't like the $200 difference, no matter how much better it sounds. I've leaned away from the other x300 models mainly because of component switching capabilities. I guess it's mostly a matter of personal opinion at this point and how long it will be before I can upgrade to seperates. I'll likely end up with the 6400 I think, due to fears about underpowering the B&W 602's.

thanks for the input Hawk, eventhough i maynot follow it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us