NAD C541i: What makes it so good?

Anonymous

What is all the hype? Is it warmer than most in it's price range? Does it provide more detail from the discs played? Is it just another good NAD "Bang for Buck" product"? Not that this last question is a bad thing, I just want to know what noticeable differences I will HEAR. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 601
Anon:

I think the answer to all three of your questions is "yes." I have listened to quite a few CD players and the NAD definitely has a warmer sound than most. Additionally, it has more detail than most CD players currently available. Now, it does not equal the very best, but it is quite close. Certainly, it has a lot more detail than the usual $300-500 CD players from the usual mass market companies.

But the biggest yes is to the question about NAD delivering the best bang for the buck. It has much more detail than any other CD player I have heard in its price class--in fact, as I said earlier, it approaches the detail and clarity of the very best players, but does so at a near budget price. Given the fact I have seen two retailers offering this unit for $299, it is an absolutely killer unit for the money. It's DACs are good enough that they are probably better than what is in most receivers.

So, in terms of what you can hear, when compared to other $300 to $500 players, it will likely sound both warmer and have greater clarity, with a more clearly defined soundstage. With a good recording, you should be able to tell where the different mucicians are on the stage, unlike the usual mass market player which will sound ill-defined and imprecise by comparison.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1196
Not wishing to change the question, and derail a good train; if you spend the $500 on an NAD T533 DVD/CD/etc player, it will play CDs OK. I can't comment on how well in comparison with the C541i. But you can also play DVD-Audio discs, from which you will be able to tell exactly where the musicians are on the stage, how far away each one is, which of them is playing what, and how well, how big the hall is, what its walls are made of, and how many other people are there listening with you. Of each sex. Plus whether the air conditioning is on, or the windows are open. Just ignore this if it is off topic.

Unregistered guest
Hawk,

You prefer the C541i over your Music Hall?

Unregistered guest
P.S. Hi there John A. There just like clockwork!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1238
Marc,

No, no clockwork; I just could not resist lobbing in the grenade. I now have to run for cover. That is not cowardice, just lack of time.

Username: Dgb100

PA

Post Number: 2
I have the NAD 541i, great sound. A big feature is that the it upsamples regular 16bit CDs to 20bit. Unfortunately I'm having problems with my drawer getting stuck and it's a pain in the buttocks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us