Need help fixing a cartridge issue

Username: Berkleebassist

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 3
So, I replaced my stylus which had broken with a slightly nicer stylus that fit my Ortofon cartridge. However, it now seems that this new stylus has a lot more "give" than my old stylus did, and as such, the cartridge is laying against the vinyl once the needle settles into the groove. I've got a Pro-Ject Debut II turntable, all stock except for the stylus. What can I do to correct for this, as it affects not only the life of my vinyl, but the sound as well (the needle "hears" the rubbing of the cartridge against the vinyl.)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2080
Have you tried decreasing the tracking weight?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11167

I would suggest you recheck tonearm balance and adjust the tracking force accordingly. There is no reason I know of that a new stylus, if it is the correct model for your cartridge, should be any different than the stylus you removed. Are you certain it is the correct stylus? Or, are you confusing "stylus" with the entire cartridge? If you replaced the entire cartridge, we have issues to solve.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 4
Well, I guess I'll have to dig up the manual to figure out how to decrease the tracking weight; as for stylus v. cartridge, I only changed the stylus. Ortofon's cartridges can use a variety of stylii, so since I had to replace the stylus anyway, I decided to upgrade a little bit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11168

And you went from what to what?

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8436
Ya lost me a bit, Jeff.
Again, the before and after?

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 5
Ok, let's try again. I have a Pro-Ject Debut II. It came with an Ortofon OM-5 cartridge. The stylus was damaged by some carelessness on the part of a friend of mine, so I replaced it with a new stylus, but I decided to upgrade a little bit to the newer OM-5E stylus. Now it seems that this stylus has more "give" to it, and as such, the cartridge is dragging on the surface of the vinyl when I spin anything. So, summary:

• stock Pro-Ject Debut II turntable
• originally had an OM-5 cartridge & stylus
• now has a OM-5 cartridge w/ OM-5E stylus
• Is still factory setup for the stock OM-5 cartridge

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 112
it might be that some damage was done to the cartridge as well.or the tonearm was knocked out of balance.
i recently changed stylus(on pro-ject debut lll)
from OM-5 to OM-10,and have had no difficulty.
good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2323
Jeff,

As far as I know, an OM-5E stylus is actually an OM-5 replacement stylus. Nothing new or better. Higher up the range would be an OM-10 or OM-20 stylus which can fit any OM cartridge.

Since it's effectively the same stylus (and in fact, this would be true of any OM stylus give or take a smidgin), the combination should just work. Therefore there are two possibilities:

1. The suspension on your new stylus is broken (unlikely but possible).

2. When the damage was caused, the counterweight was moved and the arm is causing the stylus to flatten.

...unless, of course, your friend caused damage to the arm too...

Regards,
Frank.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 6
That's very useful, thanks Frank. :-) I moved the counterweight back a little bit & that seems to have corrected the problem, although I'm sure the whole thing needs to be setup. As for that, Jan, the link you posted is awesome, that'll help me out a lot with adjusting my setup. Thanks to all for such swift responses.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us