New phono

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8413
Unfotunately, I never checked the Classe CP50 preamp for a phono stage, and have none. Not even a provision for a stage.
So I am looking at a phono stage and turntable within the next year or so.
As per a previous conversation, I am leaning towards a new P3 or a P5 with external power and a Dynavector 10x5 on a stock arm.

What phono kit would be about right?

The only reason I have narrowed this down is
A)quality
B)price/support
C)The knowledge that I have available here (large factor)

Merci

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2078
Dynavector makes a very good phono stage. Its actually more than I thought it is, because it was updated - $750

SimAudio also makes a very good stage for $500, the LP3.

The Naim Stageline is very good, but needs an outboard power supply, increasing the price. I think its not really the best value for the money, but very good none the less.

The Rega Fono is cheaper than the rest of these and very good for the price, but not as good as the others. It should be the very minimum in your setup IMO.

A few others that I haven't personally heard, but seem to have a very strong following are Creek, Graham Slee, and Lehmann.

I don't have enough experience with Classe to be able to theorize about synergy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5274
The Graham Slee is a real rocker and might suit your needs. The Rega Fono isn't up to the rest of your gear IMO. That Dynavector phono stage is a good all 'rounder. There are a plethora of very good phono stages so others will be along soon to help.

A real underdog yet killer phono stage is the Sonneteer Sedley...a little spendy but worth it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8417
Thanks, guys.
I am casting a fairley broad net to be sure.
I am not against an external power supply, but with the wedding next year, I cna't go nuts.
That said, I have a large window of time to work with, and likely 2k CDN t work with.

As usual, my mouth might be bigger'n me britches.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2079
2K CDN for just the phono stage, or for the whole analog setup?

Art,
I'd agree that on paper that it seems like the Rega Fono isn't up to the rest of the gear, but keep in mind its the same card you have built in to your Mira. I'm assuming you're getting very good results with it. I've heard your exact setup at my dealer and didn't think it had any issues.

Synergy aside, I think he should get very good results. While a better phono stage will be better, the Fono won't choke the system too much. But, its the very minimum IMO.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5280
Yep it is very nice with my Mira 3 Stu. However Nuck's gear is decidedly further up the high end ladder than mine. The Fono would sound good for starters but if one wants to avoid a quick trip to upgraditis it may not be a bad idea to start where you want to end up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8423
Thanks for the input, guys.
2k for the whole enchilada, with a push on the top end.
As for pairing the phono to match the quality of the gear, in all honesty, my ears ain't as good as the gear, the room less so.
It's a straight phono that I can show off a bit, and build a suspended stand, but I ain't a phile, so something that I can work with is best.

I would like to have a balanced output from the phono..am I nuts, or?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5284
Simple and cheap...Rega P3, external power supply, Dynavector 10x5, and Fono. Sounds good and stays in budget.....don't blame me when you start shopping the high end...lol!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8431
mental note...blame Art. check.

Did I say that out loud?

Thanks, mate.I am still a bit in the air about the balanced output.Is this likely/available?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 658
Nuck,

Maybe not nuts, just unbalanced.

One of the dealers here locally in Dallas has the last Mark Levinson Phono Stage built. Would probably deal on it. Then like Art suggested, you would never have to worry about upgrading.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8443
Ya think that is gonna fit the budget, Mike?
Certainly a statement piece.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 659
Er, ah, hmmm, ahem, in a word no.

I suppose I can lend you my Sony TT until you can once again afford to buy one.

But hey until then....

Gold Member

Post Number: 8444
So it has come to this...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8446
I looked around and found the Slee pretty cool.
The eps is a little scary.
The Era gold looks pretty good.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2324
The Dynavector P75MkII is a very good phono stage, MM/MC/DrT loadable and leaves many in the shade.

Have a look at Tom Evans Audio Design. The Microgroove is not as flexible as the Dynavector, but arguably better (and pisses over any Graham Slee in my view - although Graham's entry level is a lot lower priced). The thing most against the Microgroove is it's either MM or MC.

The Naim Stageline is overshadowed by these others in my opinion, and works best in a Naim system as a 2nd source.

A P5/RegaPS/10x5 into any of the above is a very good solution indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8475
Thank yo Frank.
Somehow I knew that I would end up at conclusion that I cannot afford a good setup for a while.
Your opinion agrees with that conclusion, and the 5 with a PS and Dynavector is exactly where I would end up.

Now for a few spare grand...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us