Do I need an amp????

Username: Srlollar

Post Number: 2
have an older Onkyo receiver (TX-DS656)which is currently just powering an energy Take 5.2 surround sound package. I am installing ceiling and wall speakers throughout my house--a total of 3 pair. My question is would i be better off buying a 6-channel amp to power the ceiling speakers with my current receiver or if I purchased a new Onkyo receiver (TX-SR701) would this receiver alone be enough to power all the speakers including my home theater with just using a speaker selector?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Depends on whether you will want to run all the speakers at the same time. If so go for the separate amplifer. If you will want no more than two pair on at the same time you can get the new reciever.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 585
shane:

Yes, you need an external amp because your receiver only has one set of multi-channel outputs. Same is true of an Onkyo 701, so if you want to power both the Takes and the ceiling speakers, you need more amplifiers (BTW, how many ceiling speakers are we talking about?).

The first question is whether your older Onkyo has a 12v trigger for an external amp (that sends the signal to turn on the remote amp). Not all receivers have this and you will have to have one to make this work, so check that out and report back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us