NAD Success Story

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 91
The NAD T763 arrived yesterday and, so far, no problems at all. No hisses, pops or hums to report - even after getting the surrounds and sub plugged in. And, this is even without a power center/line conditioner, which hasn't arrived yet - and - with a less than optimal rack configuration. The interface cables and power cords are all bunched together through a too small hole in the back of my cabinet. Hopefully, this weekend, we'll modify the cabinet to have a bigger cutout for the cables and will get the power center installed.

There was one brief scare when the receiver switched off after starting the play of a multichannel SACD. I did a reset of the power button on the back and then powered everything back on and started the SACD again. Same thing. The receiver switched off (the Standby light turned red.) After another reset, I played a stereo CD without any problems. But, afte switching back to SACD, the receiver again shut off. At this point, I realized that I had not plugged the cables into the center speaker. It was connected at the receiver but not to the speaker. Once I plugged the cables into the speaker, the receiver was fine and the SACD playback was flawless.

If any anomolies pop up, I'll post them. But, so far, this is a NAD success story!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 323
Ghia,

Great to hear of your successes!!! I wish more like you would post as it seems that people only come to the forum when they have a problem with their NAD.

Good luck and I wish you many years of listening enjoyment!!

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 90
Ghia,

Glad to hear it. It sounds like a wonderful setup. I'll be interested in your take on the SACD vs. DVD-A "debate" once you've had a chance to do some critical listening of both.

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 38
It is almost impossible to do a true SACD VS DVDA comparison. On the rare chance that you can get the same album on both SACD and DVDA, often times the mastering process and person that mixed this disc is completely different so you aren't just comparing the two formats, you are comparing what the producer did to the master.

In the end you will most likely be happy with both formats. You need to be happy with both if you want to get any sort of decent selection of music.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 94
Johnny and Sem,

It was precisely because of the negative posts that I decided to post the good side. I'd be lying if I said the number of negative posts didn't make me a little nervous about getting a NAD receiver. But, I have a NAD c350 integrated amp and had never had any problems with it and loved the sound so I decided to stick with NAD despite some of the negative feedback here.

I don't want to discount anyone else's experience with NAD. But, if someone is researching NAD they might miss out on some really great sound if they don't have a chance to get both sides of the story.

I'll post an update in a month or so.

Sem,

Right now, I have a handful of SACD's and one DVD-A. As I get more titles and get to do some meaningful comparisons I'll post feedback in the DVD thread of the board. I can say without question, SACD sounds better than the original CD in regards to Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space" and "Bachelor No2" - that's the only direct comparison I've been able to do so far.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 29
Just curious but you made reference to a power line conditioner... What do they do and are they worth the money? I looked at a monster cable product with a "clean power" circuit. I wonder if it would help quiet the small amount of noise I have on my Nad T752 (see post nad t752 arrived... back it goes)

I would think it would be worth 75 bucks or so if I new that it would make everything dead quiet but I have my sub as the culprit in my sights so I don't know if its power related.

Lemme know guys and gals.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 96
OknessaD,

I ended up getting a Monster Power Center HT2500 for around $175 new. My main concern is protection from spikes and surges. The reading I did also suggests that the "noise filtering" has a noticeable improvement in video. I like the aesthetics of this particular model and like that I can put it in the equipment rack and get some of the cords and cables off the floor to reduce the clutter under/behind my cabinet.

Here are two threads that have good information about line conditioners:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/16614.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/21231.html

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 91
Ghia,

Thanks. It is, indeed, nice to hear an NAD success story. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for NAD to get back with me on a noise issue I'm having. But I remain hopeful. You are correct about the NAD's great sound also.

Kevin,

I agree 100% about the mix being very imortant to the end product. As I have mentioned on other threads, there are many factors which can make or break a surround mix. As far as a direct comparison between the same two discs, in the two formats, you are of course correct in saying that in most cases its impossible make. I was, however, speaking in more general terms, as well as looking for particular recommendations for each type. I own a few DVD-A's but, so far, haven't picked up any SACD's.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 105
Just thought I would post to this thread to get it back in play. It seems there is a "new" poster called Numerous Abnormalities Detected whose sole purpose appears to be to stir up negativity.

My T763 has been flawless. The sound is incredible, it is easy to setup and operate, there have been no hums, pops, hisses,etc, and the remote control works great (first remote I've had that's been able to learn all the other remotes).

I'm happy to have stayed with NAD despite reading about some of the problems reported on this forum. My decision was based on having No Abnormalities Detected with my previous NAD unit and feedback from the dealer that he had not seen a higher rate of problems for NAD vs other brands.

Ultimately, it is your decision on whether you believe there is a a higher "risk" going with NAD but it would be a shame if you bypassed it solely based on some of the negative feedback reported here, especially since no quantifiable evidence has been provided that proves NAD has a higher rate of problems than other brands.

Username: Yshuaw

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 4
It is great to read success stories for thr NAD... I am about to buy one for my new home theater setup, and the reviews I have seen here begged the question:

Is buying a refurbished 762 from DMC (I am local, so I can deal with them in store) for $699 as wise as spending $1,080 for a new 763? Both dealers are authorized by NAD, both fall within my price range (although the less I spend here, the happier the wife). In other words, is the reliability/new features of the 763 worth $400?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 53
Well I'd say go for the refurb to save money but that is only my personal opinion. I don't know if the added features to me add up to 400 bucks worth of stuff. I am not sure about the reliability issues but I would imagine either choice would be fine. Especially since you are close to both possible dealers.

Let me know what you decide.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 136
Joshua,

That's probably for you to decide what your comfort level is. For me, I'm a little leery about anything that has the word "refurbished" in it. It is my understanding that refurb can mean the unit was sent in for a firmware upgrade and may not have been used before so it may not necessarily be a unit that was defective and/or returned by another person. It might be a good idea to ask if the dealer has any history on what the refurbishment was.

If it were my decision and either unit was within the budget, I'd go with the T763. Actually, in my recent purchase, I ended up going beyond my original budget because I got the T763 instead of my original target, T753 and I got a set of speakers (Monitor Audio GR10) I hadn't originally planned for. But, $400 is still a substantial amount and, if you can save that much and are comfortable with the refurbished unit and if the refurbished unit has the same warranty, then maybe the 762 would be a better deal.

Good luck with your decision!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 39
ghia - how do you like the NAD/MA combination? i am considering nad 773 with MA S8.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixster

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 18
Hey Guys,
I received my T752 from DMC yesterday. Hooked it up last night and it sounds great....considering the speakers it's playing through :-) I have to give props to David and DMC. They are great to deal with and I'm personally happy that I bought refurb over a new 753.

Now I just need to find some speakers....I'm looking at MA Silver S6, Dynaudio, PSB, and NHT right now. The Monitor Audio is the only one I've had the opportunity to hear so far.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1341
Tahoe,

What a great place to live. Consider KEF speakers, too. I do not think I will ever move from some sort of NAD/KEF combination. But all those speaker brands are good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
Tahoe,

What a great place to live. Consider KEF speakers, too. I do not think I will ever move from some sort of NAD/KEF combination. But all those speaker brands are good.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 19
John A.,

It is an awesome place to live. We've only been here about 2 months. We are truly blessed :-)

I'll add KEF to my short list. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Mick

Gold Member

Post Number: 1351
Mick,

The best view over the lake is from the Nevada side, if I recall correctly. Speaker brand loyalty is individual. I posted recently about a very good experience with KEF:
KEF. A short tale of value, service, customer satisfaction.
I do not own shares or have any vested interest, I promise. There are some strong and knowledgable enthusiasts for Magnepan speakers on this forum, I know.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 21
John,
Yea, you can't beat the views :-)
What KEF models do you recommend for <1200 or, more likely, <1000??
I've considered the Magnepan but I think the bride would freak :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
Mick,

I depends whether you are spending that much on two speakers or five, the size of the room etc. See if they have a dealer/distributor in your area. You can find that from the web site
http://www.kefamerica.com/ I can't help with specifics and am not doing a sales job. I have older KEF models, except for one of the KHT 2005 "eggs" which makes a great center speaker, and you can get those all round in 5.1 for about those prices, I think.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 22
Thanks for your help John.

Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 6
Tahoe- All of the speakers you are looking at have a neutral sound to them except for the monitor audios. In my auditioning the MA's were a little more emphasized on the high end and in the mid bass regions compared to the other speakers. The high end was still smooth but can be fatiguing over time. Some people prefere a more emphasized high end or more detailed as some may say.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 25
James,

I ended up getting a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2's. In the end, I was impressed by the value. I guess I'm on that likes detail.....hopefully it doesn't wear me out. Oh well, I'll listen to them alot in the coming weeks and if it does wear me out, I'll take them back.

Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 8
Tahoe- I did like the sound of the MA's myself. The MA's are a good buy. The mid bass rocks. I was just a tad bit more on the neutral side of the line when deciding to with Studio 20's as mains. The Studio 20's with the NAD just presented such a transparent and non fatiguing sound and the same time very detailed.

Also, congradulations on your NAD. Unfortunately I had to send mine back to DMC but David is shipping another one back today. Hopefully, I will be getting it sometime this weekend or maybe Monday. David said he would test it out before shipping so it should be ok.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 26
Thanks James. The NAD has such a clean and pure sound compared to my old Denon. I'm not bashing Denon.....after all, my Denon was probably 8 yrs old. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us