Onkyo TX-SR502 v/s Onkyo TX-SR601

Anonymous

hi,
i'm looking to set up my system. how do these two receivers compare
Onkyo TX-SR502 - Onkyo TX-SR601.
the output (10 W) less in 502 is not that big a deal for me. how helpful is the "video display of receiver audio settings" feature (601)? is it too difficult to do the set up by yourself considering i'm a newbie(in SR502)? also i checked up circuit city's web site and did a comparison on these two models.
it shows 502 as being able to do A+B speaker switching and has 9 DSP modes both of which are not present in the 601. what difference does that make?
is spending a couple of hundred bucks more (601) really worth the features??
kindly post your reviews considering that i'm more into music than home theater and currently am just going to get the floor speakers. surround speakers will come later.

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 166
The sound quality of the 6xx Onkyos is clearly better than that of the 5xx models. The 6xx sounds fuller, a bit warmer and a lot more detailed. DSP modes are worth nothing and A+B speakers are found in 601. Check the details from Onkyo homepage.

Anonymous

thanks landroval.

MAC12
Unregistered guest
I agree with landroval and I actually have experience with both. Earlier this year, I bought the 501, replaced it with 601 (after reading better reviews), and then returned it to buy the 701 (for $500 at a Circuit City store closing). After realizing that the 701 is superb for movie playback and less than ideal for music, I was back in the market and bought the 501 to save a buck. Quickly, realized that it was much less robust, full, or detailed as the 601. So much so that I basically set up the system and, just as quick, took it down and returned to repurchase the 601. The down side is I had to start from scratch with my "tinkering". But, to make a long story short, the 601 is clearly the better choice.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 577
Anon:

I agre about the power of the 601 being worth the difference. However, you will also want the "video display of audio settings." This is commonly referred to as the OSD ("On Screen Display") and it makes setting up your receiver much easier, so I highly recommend the 601 over the 502.

The extra DSP modes of the 502 are purely garbage--you will never use them on a regular basis once you have experimented by trying them. They add nothing to the audio experience, particularly if you are more into music than HT.

However, if yo are seriously into music (good sound in general, for that matter), you should consider an NAD T742, which can be had for $399 (about the same price as the 601). It is a much better receiver all the way around with a much richer, fuller sound, that is also much cleaner sounding, as well. Check it out at DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) or Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com).

Good luck!

Anonymous

thanks all for replying. i'm going ahead with onkyo tx-sr601. ordering it from J&R (friday special for only $299.99). now i need speakers for it. any recommendations??

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 592
Yes.

Consider the Polk 7200 package.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us