NAD c 350 & KEF CODA 7

Username: Alexsoftwareltd

Post Number: 1
Have NAD C 350 with Kef Coda 7
I want to replace Kef speakers with new B&W s 601 one.

Is this lead to improving sound quality ?

Any advice?

Alex

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1132
You will be replacing a full-range speaker (Coda 7: 48Hz - 20kHz) with a smaller one (B&W 601.one: 70Hz -- 20kHz) with slightly lower efficiency (91 db down to 88 dB). So you will lose quite some bass and also just a little volume.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.backcatalogue/Label/Mode l%20DM601

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_1/coda/coda7.htm

I cannot really see any point in doing that, but you must have a special reason for asking. Those are both 10+ year old speaker models. None the worse for that!

B&W and KEF are old rivals. They are both make top-class speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 97
I'de change the amp for a Rotel, even an older one (much more detail and ambience), but the truth lies in the trying both, side by side, preferably at your place of listening (home or other).
Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 64
Yep, I'm with John A. on that one. The frequency range on those old B&W's is poor so I can't imagine they will sound "better" - haven't heard either by the way! Just going on the figures.

Post Number: 2
Sorry,
But i thought for the model:
B&W DM 601 S2
with technical characteristics
Frontspeaker / 2 Way/closed / 25 Watt / 48-42000 Hz / 8 Ohm

Who is wrong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1142
Aleksandar,

OK. You originally wrote "B&W s 601 one". I assumed that meant Series 1.

But "S2" is not "new"; it is discontinued. They are now on Series 3.

I do not know where you got that spec. It looks like the series 3, which is not what you are considering (...?)

If it is the series 3 spec, it is not much use, but also note that that frequency range is given - 6 dB.

±3 dB, it is 60Hz - 22kHz.

For the series 2, it is 70Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB

Those are all small speakers, whichever way you look at it.

I would prefer to stay with the KEF Coda 7, which is 48Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB.

You will have to listen to decide which you prefer, of course. Sun King and I are agreeing on specs on paper, I think we would also agree you have to decide which sounds better, to you, for your intended purpose. I would not expect any improvement, from my point of view.

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 69
My choice would still be the Coda 7's. In my opinion it would be a downgrade rather than an upgrade to swap and I suggest that if you're unsatisfied with your speakers you should look elsewhere. The specs favour the Kef quite substantially but at the end of the day as John A said, specs can mean nothing and the proof of the pudding's in the eating.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
Sun King,

Thanks. I think the only problem here is being clear about what the models are. At least with these two good manufacturers, we have published specs, even for discontinued models: they stand by their products.

joao,

"I'de change the amp for a Rotel"

You have been posting similar things on many threads. Aleksandar Talev has not told us anything about his amp, not on this thread.

Therefore you do not know that it is not, already, a Rotel.

Aleksander ask about speakers.

So, your point is....?

Post Number: 3
I wrote that I have amp : Nad c 350.
I don't intend to change it.
I thought that B&W are better solution.

In this case my budget is near 500eur.Is there maybe any better solution then Kef Coda 7

Aleksandar

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 113
500 Eur should buy you a budget set on the latest KEF series, better than coda.
Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us