Sound card straight into a power amp?

Username: Stefan534

Post Number: 1
I've got a professional sound card with -10 and +4 1/4" outputs.

Seeing as have equalizer, etc on board with software, can't i just plug the sound card straight into a power amplifier without needing a preamp - and therefore get more bang for my buck!

Post Number: 2
The full story is, I've just landed some quad 12Ls and need something in between my computer and my speakers that will do them justice. I'm on a budget:say $400-650.

Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 580
I use an integrated amp with my professional sound card and it works fine, with some quite similiar speakers. Thats what your 'supposed' to do. Although I do know that using just a power amp works, but I dont think the sound is as loud or as good.

What soundcard is it?

Post Number: 3
echoaudio MIA.

hmm, now why wouldn't it sound as good? I thought a preamps role was just to add the right mix of treble/bass ets. as well as take in all the different inputs from your hifi gear.

Post Number: 4
just from looking online a decent 2nd hand p. amp is 500-700 and a preamp is a bit less.

it's going to be hard to beat the hi-end Quad amps that i heard in the store but i would like to try.

May i ask what amp you are using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
Wouldnt you rather have the option to control bass and treble from an amp aswell. Unless your echo audio has hardware accelerated effects/eq.

I mean, I use my amp for both audio from my pc and from television so it might suit me more than you.

Im using a cambridge audio 540a. Its really quite a good amp for the money. I wanted an arcam but I couldnt afford it.

My emu0404 sound card manual shows a picture of different applications the card can be used in. One of which is soundcard>>intregrated amp>>speakers. It actually says integrated.

Its the same prinipal as using a separate power and pre amp. Everybody knows there will be benefits. I think of my soundcard as like the processor of a seperates cd player. Its that component in the chain. In a sense, thats what it is, only with versitility to record, sample etc.

Post Number: 5
yeah,I've heard about the cambriges. Interesting. I'll check them out too.

well at least i know a power amp will work! My concern was that, you needed to amplify the source signal first, with a pre-amp, before the signal was powerful enough for the power amp to use. Are you 100% sure I can just plug it in without a preamp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
I'd not risk it. I do reccon you'll require a pre-amp too. It wont be that loud with just a power amp I dont think. As you said, the source signal needs amplifying. Im not sure a hifi dealer would know because they dont deal with soundcards, but you could always ask.

Post Number: 6
Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 227
I've done this with my system for playing music outside on the deck - I have a PC with the soundcard plugged directly into an old NAD 2150 power amp. I control the volume using Winamp. Works fine for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us