Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6857
Yep!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1874
Art: Your new(est) cables sound great - they're probably almost as good as my Blue Jeans/Beldens, I'll betcha! (double grin)
So - where do I go to see the new pics?

And yep, if we had any decent stereo-type places 'round here, I'd probably be spending some time and money with them - but I have to drive at least two hours to find a good store - which (sigh) I just don't have the gumption to do.

BTW - how much did those cables cost, Art?

Respectful-like. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4586
The new pics will be where the old ones were but not until at least next weekend.

I have over $2400 altogether into my cables.

The most recent aquisition for the XM were $229 for .8 meter set. I bought the demos for $125.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6862
Sounds about right.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1875
Art: looking forward to the pics!

As to the cables - uh - Gulp. . .know when I'm out-classed, for sure! Sigh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6873
I just arrived into the hotel here in Illinois, and am up to speed on the awful news here in the USA.

It is through tear filled eyes, and with the heaviest of hearts that I pray for the wounded children and support staff in Virginia.

These kids could be my own. In fact, they all are our kids.

When sense means no sense at all, what do you make of it?!?!

My tears may wet a blanket, but not the way a child's drool wets a mothers shirt.

My condolances to the Mothers and Fathers.

Lord, show us the way.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 662
Nuck, well said. What a horrible, horrible situation. We know three kids attending VT, one an engineering student. Thankfully all are safe. Our hearts ache for their classmates that weren't as fortunate.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4589
Lived in small college towns most of my life (Pocatello, Id 17 yrs and Corvallis, Oregon 20 yrs) and this kind of event hasn't even crossed my mind. These communities are usually such wonderful places to live that it makes it that much more difficult to conceptualize.

I now live in the College Green neighborhood in Albany, Oregon 2 blocks from the Linn Benton Community College campus and work in Corvallis. It was quiet in the office yesterday as the students (about 1/3 of our clients) were mostly staying home watching TV or sharing their thoughts with friends and family via the web. The ones I talked to yesterday were in shock and concerned about the how safe our (OSU) campus is.

My daughter works on campus at Oregon State University at the Linus Pauling Institute and typical of her (very strong woman) she is confident that the Oregon State Police have the situation in hand at OSU. She was emphatic that these things just happen and short of resrticting our freedom to an intolerable level there is simply very little we can do to stop someone who is hell bent on self destruction from harming others on the way.

Prayers and thoughts to all whom are affected.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1876
Art: Good thoughts all, sir.

Yes - no matter how high the walls and how strong a security presence, if a person is bent on a suicidal mission, he/she is nearly impossible to either predict or to stop.
Handguns easily hidden, body-worn explosives and the like are examples of what can quickly become deadly, especially when paired with an impaired mind.
To "seal off" any campus or town or neighborhood just won't work. And a person-by-person body search is, of course, out of the question.
I like your term, Art: "hell-bent on self destruction." For that's what it is in cases like the Virginia massacre.
Prayers and thoughts - indeed - with added hopes that the usual "copycat" maniac doesn't surface in this instance.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4605
RIP Andrew Hill...."Time Lines" His most recent release when he knew he was terminally ill is top notch, he will be missed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6952
http://video.sympatico.msn.com/v/en-ca/v.htm?g=1815d21a-bae9-4ef5-97ea-cdb92b6b7 a35&f=imbot_en-ca_m_3549&fg=rss

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10278

Bookmarked!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1343
That was great. What was it again?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10285

What was what? What are you talkin' about?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1344
Who was talkin'?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6969
Rantz, did you see the same thing that I did?
Old folks havin a great time and smashing guitars?
It's RnR night at the old folks home.
I thought it was great.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1345
What old folks? What smashing guitar? And yes Nuck, I'm having a great time. By the way who who are you?

Talkin' 'bout my generation baby. Why don't we all just f-f-fade away?

But did I see the same thing you did? I don't know. Don't we all have different eyes?

:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6975
A tad flummoxed here.
But I am Ok with it. Another mixed up day in the mixed up life of poor mixed up Fred Flintstone.

From the pilot.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1346
Nuck, when you get to my age you'll understand. Yes, I saw the old folks singing along to the Who's My Generation. Thankyou, it is a great clip.

Now, what was I doing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6980
D'oh!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10310

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?softothr&1177895260&1177732814

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4670
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2003001900_vinyl18m.html

At least as long as we older folk are around we should be able to enjoy that wealth of music that's still around on beautiful vinyl.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 173
Nice article, Art. Thanks for sharing.

Although I don't have a TT right now (it's in my Dad's system), the pops and hiss is where it's at.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7150
Vinyl will never die, that is a given.
Availability is subject to change, pricing may vary, certainly, but the old dawgs will keep it alive!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10364

One problem is those people who can afford to spend $10k plus for a turntable can also go into a second hand record shop and suck up plenty of desirable vinyl or drive prices up on what is out there. I don't know about the other Ol'Dogs, but I find it difficult, no, impossible, to lay down $35-50 for a B.B. King LP.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4671
Impossible indeed. Thank god for garage sales and the fact that I'm a morning person.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4670
Concerning downloading.....

Linn Records enters the Download Age

Three qualities;- MP3, CD Quality, "Studio Master".

About the last;-

"....This download is offered for those who desire the best sound possible. The quality is identical to that of an SACD. The format will be dependent on the actual recording method we used originally. No DSD files are offered as it is not possible to play them back on a PC so an equivalent PCM format is offered. These files offer true "studio quality" and are what was used by Linn to produce the production version of our CD releases. Be sure to check compatibility with your computer sound card etc before you download a file and note that large amounts of storage space are required for each track......

If absolute sound quality is what you want then this file is best for you.

Please note; these files are too large to burn on to a CD, so if you wish to back them up, you will need to burn them on to a DVD. You will not be able to play these files in your CD player. They can however be enjoyed on your digital media receiver or in windows media player. "

Now they've included FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) I am minded to try it.

Hi-Res, anyone?!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4674
RIP Mstislav Rostropovich (1927--2007)

http://www.stereophile.com/news/043007slava/

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4673
I second that, Art.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4679
Old Dog learns another New Trick.

Last weekend I bought the Linn Records download of Handel's Messiah, Dublin version, 1742.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-messiah-dublin-version-1742.aspx

I chose "Studio Master" which is 24 bit, 88.2 kHz. I got the FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) version and converted it to 24/88.2 aiff and Apple Lossless.

Very impressive recording and sound quality. The output from my G4 PowerBook sounded a little better than from CDs burned at 16/44.1 played on the Rega Apollo. And was free of the annoying pop that iTunes puts between burned CD tracks.

The PowerBook has a 24-bit, up to 48 kHz Texas Instruments DAC built-in.

Of course "audiophiles" like expensive external DACs. I am not inclined to go that route at present.

I still like CDs, but I am fairly sure, now, that "Audiophile" downloads are with us, if we want them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7270
neat trick, dog.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4682
Thanks, Nuck. I keep reading that iTunes will not do 5.1 or more than 16/44.1. It will do both.

R.I.P. Zola Taylor.

Obituary in the London Times

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4728
"R.I.P. Zola Taylor"

Indeed.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10419

"Nagra says they pondered long and hard when deciding which formats their digital front-end products should support. (There are also the CDC CD player-preamplifier, for $14,995, and the CDT transport, for $12,495.) They focused on CD for several reasons, chief among them that they felt universal players "accumulate solutions of compromise and cannot therefore excel in any of the three standards." Furthermore, they say, SACD and DVD-Audio never achieved "the intended success and one could question whether they will truly penetrate the market one day."

In addition to CD enjoying the lion's share of the market, Nagra feels the format has never stopped progressing throughout its 24-year lifespan. "Recordings, often themselves of excellent quality, cover all styles of music, and the number of available titles is always increasing, and represents an important factor in itself for format longevity."

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/507nag/

.}

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10420

http://www.stereophile.com/features/407upward/

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10421

http://www.stereophile.com/news/050707resale/

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4685
There's a lot to read there, Jan.

CD resale should be protected under the First Amendment of the US Constitution, since selling a CD could be considered an opinion on the content of the CD, and therefore, collecting identification information could be construed as a violation of the right to free expression.

This confirms what I have long thought about lawyers....

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 379
Yech! However they did not mention vinyl. Hehe.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10423

Nobody cares about vinyl resale, all the artists are dead and the record labels can't believe anyone would buy something they intentionally screwed up so horribly. That leaves a lot to buy but also a lot to put back in the bin.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4687
Interesting reviews, Jan, and back on-topic.

In the three years since we started this thread, SACD has definitely taken off in the classical sections of two major London record stores. One (Virg_in) still keeps a separate section for DVD-A and SACD. SACD takes about about 10 or 15 % of the floor space, DVD-A less than 0.1 %, I estimate.

I have no idea what proportion of customers buying 2-channel stereo CDs play them in surround, as discussed in the Keith Howard article.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7344
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2007/05/20/lennon-festival-durness.html

Road trip?

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 386
Clubs optional? All liquor purchased on premises to be consumed prior to departure?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1861
I came across an interesting article in my bathroom reader book. This seems like an appropriate place to post it (not because it came from my bathroom reader book) -

Introducing the CD

This article appeared in the New York Times, March 18, 1983.

Five years ago, the electronics industry brought out the video-disk, heralded as the future of home entertainment systems. This month, the digital compact disk audio system will make its way into American homes, making similar promises. But marketers of the audiodisk play down the kinship, with good cause; sales of videodisks have been dismal. The compact audiodisk system, meanwhile, is expected to replace stereo turntables and albums as the industry standard within the decade.

Some question whether the audiodisk will succeed. Players now cost $800-$900, and discs are $16-$20 each, far too expensive for a popular market.

Even if prices come down, some analystists doubt whether consumers will be willing to sacrifice substantial investments in turntables and stacks of traditional recordings.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4691
Really good, Stu.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4788
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/images/NAD_C555_big.jpg

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Hmm....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4789
Kind of interesting how similar the new P3 24 looks to the old NAD 533. Look at the edge of the plinth on both of them...hmm.

I'm sure the new P3 24 sounds great but in the looks department it renders my now renamed P3 2000 an instant classic.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1587

quote:

This article appeared in the New York Times, March 18, 1983.

Five years ago, the electronics industry brought out the video-disk, heralded as the future of home entertainment systems.

What "video-disk" system was that in 1978?
­

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1863
I have no idea. Possibly laser-disc?

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
A friend of mine had a laser disc player back in the early 80's. The player was huge and the movies were slightly smaller than an lp. He had mostly B list movies.....Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and the like. As I recall, the movies did have a better quality to them, (as shown on your standard console tv in a dark stanky basement). I remember thinking at the time that it seemed like such a good idea compared to vhs or beta because of the lack of "moving film" within the machine. They just seemed so damn bulky and difficult to store compared to vhs or beta.

My buddy swore that this was the way to go though. I think he still has some of the movies.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4790
Probably the Pioneer Laser Disc.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4791
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4792
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 387
Art, Thanks for the Rega info.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10449

Anyone want to buy a Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laserdisc player? The best LD player ever made. Seriously! It is big.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1877
Jan: good friend of mine out in Sedona, Arizona, has I believe 50 or so laserdiscs - and "might" be interested in your player? Simply asked: "how much?"
I'm thinking that the shipping would cost about as much as the player is worth these dayz? Hmm. . .
Aside from that - I've been house-painting and shower grout-restoring and getting ready for our Big Hurricane Season, as promised by all the "experts." Sigh.
Mer and I have been going to a lot of live concerts, and realize how, uh, "limited" the sound is from our humble stereo setup. Double sigh. . .
Two months to go until our Big Opera Trip out to Santa Fe - where we'll spend the last of our hardly-earned money. Triple sigh. . .
Some new CDs for us, but nearly all chamber music, which, I realize, is bottom-of-the-list for most of the Dawgs. So I'll not bore you with details.
Have not heard from SimplyMcIntosh for awhile, and hope she's doing well.
Art - sorry, we won't be coming to Portland this summer, after all. Wanted to meet you. . .
And that's about all I know at present. . .

respectful-like. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10451

Larry - If your friend is interested, I'll figure out a price and check on shipping costs to Arizona. The player was the best ever made, from the Elite line of Pioneer it originally retailed at $2k. It was considered class A gear by all the reviewers. So, I don't know if your friend is looking for something of that calibre even with the value of LD players today. This is a dual side player, so it does both sides without flipping the disc. It also has the Pioneer stable platter for CD's, though by today's standards this is no great shakes. The cosmetics alone are worth putting in a system, if you have room, considering the rosewood side panels and the Elite's glossy front. Check with your friend and if he's interested, I have no use for the unit, so the price will be reasonable. A dozen or so LD's included.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1588
­
I had thoought that the CD was the first commonly marketed laser-based storage system, but MCA/Philips' DiscoVision (later re-named LaserDisc) was viable in 1978.

I thought Stu's article was refering to RCA's Selectavision CED system. But that ill-fated invention wasn't available until 1981. I suppose RCA's plan was to market CED as the working man's LaserDisc.

CD players/discs were not marketed in the US until 1983.
­

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10453

Selectavision was an analog system where the audio and video was read by a stylus. You would have thought CD4 would have taught a lesson about styli and high frequency response. But, no ......

I never met anyone who owned a Selectavision unit. People are dumb but they aren't always stupid.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1878
Jan: Thanks for the reply. I've E-mailed my friend, but no response from him as of this hour.
I know he has a player, plus a "spare" for any parts he may need - but he still might be interested.
Will post his response as soon as I get it.
Many thanks - LR

Meanwhile, I'm busy. Celebrating (almost left out the R!) my 71st birthday - which makes me older than dirt, and about as attractive! (grin) Party tonight. . .if I stay awake. Hmm

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1869
Happy Birthday Larry!

Regarding getting older, I'm reminded on an old Chinese proverb that goes something like this -

Don't make fun of old age; far too many won't experience it themselves.

I can't recall the exact words, but we get the idea.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1879
Stu: Thanx for the greeting - and the adage. Yeah, the older I get the more friends I lose along the way. Sigh.
That, perhaps, is one of the hardest parts of "growing older."

It were evah thus. . .LR

Gold Member

Post Number: 7367
Larry, I should have remembered, it was about this time last year for a Happy Birthday.

So there it is!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10456

HB,LR.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Happy Birthday, Larry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7375
A bit of a stretch for anyone else to remember Uncle Bobby, but...

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2007/05/23/uncle-bobby-ash.html

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1589
­
So Uncle Bobby was the equivalent to our avuncular Captain Kangaroo?

"I never met anyone who owned a Selectavision unit. People are dumb but they aren't always stupid"

In the early eighties I worked for a big box electronics retailer. We set up an RCA CED unit playing M*A*S*H over and over. To my knowledge we never sold a player. But that was maybe because the disc was toast in ten days. At the time I thought it rather amazing that a stylus could read video off a disc spinning at 450rpm.

Happy B-Day Larry.
­

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 676
Happy Birthday Larry. Let me pour you a scotch.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10460

Scotch ... HMMMMMMMM ... I'll have a birthday someday ...

HMMMMMMMMM ... Scotch.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 390
Happy belated Larry

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Mr. R, happy birthday to you."

Sung in "Carver Classic, Magnetic Field Stereo with the Silver Seven Vacuum Tube Transfer Function" sound from Dallas.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4799
Happy B'day Larry! Wow...that happened fast. Seems like just yesterday....

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1880
All Dawgs: Thanks so much for the cheery greetings, and they are greatly appreciated! Youz guyz are the largest group of friends I've got left!

Jan: I doubt that my friend will cough up more than about $200 for the player. Please e-mail me if you want to contact the chap about it. . .that way I can put you in direct e-touch with him. I told him I thought $200 was not nearly enough - but he said he has two players already, one the Pioneer, the other a Sanyo.

Wow - four new CDs from Amazon - shipped yesterday, just delivered ten minutes ago! Now that was FAST! (chamber music, so I won't wax eloquent about it, OK?) grin. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1881
Michael W - Wowzer! That Carver sound still resonates around my studio! Thanks for the memories. . .

LR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4692
Happy birthday, Larry!!

No, don't wax eloquent about it, just give us the facts....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4800
Indeed Larry, John's got the idea...still some chamber music fans here.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1882
Some wax-free reviews. (grin)
As you know, I'm a big chamber music fan - Mer loves it because "it fits the room." Hmm. . .
anyway - we awayed to a couple of "live" concerts this past week - and as a result, I "had to have" CDs of several pieces.
Thus: we now have two superb CDs - Dohnanyi's Piano Quintets and Seranade for string trio by the Schubert Ensemble of London. Hyperion disc CDA 66786. Fine sound and very sensitive performance of all - but the string trio seranade is very special. Almost no compositions for string trios - but this one stands on its own, and very well.
Second, one of my favorite groups, the Florestan Trio, in Schubert's achingly difficult Piano Trio in E flat major, D929. The arpeggios and long, finger-killing runs are just amazing to hear. Also on Hyperion CDA 67347 - you can look up both on Amazon.com. Both very fine sound!

And then comes one of those "bargain bin" CDs that I accidentally found - a digitally re-mastered disc with two works: Shostakovich concerto for violin and orchestra with David Oistrakh and New York Philharmonic under Dimitri Mitropoulos. This is an old mono (gasp!) recording. Amazing technique and sound quality exceeding what I expected.
Also on the disc - and the main reason I bought it - Shostakovich concerto for cello and orchestra with Mstislav Rostropovich and Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra. this is at least in stereo - and a slightly better sound quality.
This I got for $7.95 on Amazon - a real bargain and a great recording of "historic significance." If you like Oistrakh and Rostropovich (who can't like these guyz?) this is a must-have bargain.
Sony re-did the old Columbia Masterworks LP, and it's on Sony Classical MHK 63327.

And now for the "kiddies." Although I have a fantastic CD of Mendelssohn's piano trios 1 and 2 with the Lanier Piano Trio, I bowed to pressure from younger friends, and bought the new, SACD version of it with the currently-in-vogue Julia Fischer on violin, Daniel Muller-Schott cello and Jonathan Gilad, piano. Although the "kids" play in sparkling good fashion, they just don't quite match the more mature and refined interpretation that the Lanier group sets forth. Maybe it's just my old age, but I still believe that maturity can create much deeper interpretations of standard works - as evident here.
But the new Pentatone disc 5186 085 has shimmering sonics and is quite good enough. I don't believe the Lanier disc is in general circulation - I bought it from the group at a concert in Sedona years ago.

Well - that's it. Hope no wax slipped through there, guyz - but I do get wrapped up in this music-stuff, doncha know. . .

On the SACD front - I note with some degree of satisfaction that classical issues continue in production, though how long this remains fact I do not know. I do know, however, that the SACD sound is much better on nearly all discs, and I try to find works of interest on SACD whenever possible.

However - I did copy one of my CDs onto my computer hard drive - and then onto one of my little flash drive thangs. Just plain amazing sound quality! I plug it in, it plays through Windows Media Player, and I swear it sounds smoother than the disc it came from. Maybe I'm just "hearing things?" Well. . .

And a good night was had. . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4693
Many thanks, Larry!

Are you playing the SACD or CD layer on Pentatone and other SACDiscs? If SACD, are you using mutichannel or two-channel stereo?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1884
Hi, John: Yes, I'm playing all my SACD discs on the SACD layer - but in two-channel, not surround, mode. Have the player set up so that it first accesses the 2-channel mode. Changing it out to multi-channel involves calling up an on-screen menu, and it a lot of bother.
As I don't listen to music in surround sound anyway - it's just fine.
Mer and I DO, however, watch DVD movies and other DVD-videos in full surround sound glory.

The Cambridge unit still gives me acceptable reproduction - excellent in DVD mode and SACD, and fairly good in redbook CD. I watch carefully to see if any new SACD/CD players are coming on the market - but see nothing that really excites me at the moment.
The Apollo would be great - but I DO need that SACD capability. . .I have 32 SACDs.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10468

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/507oppo/

Gold Member

Post Number: 7396
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/05/25/science-tone-vocal.html

Something of note?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1592
­
Nuck...

quote:

They say the results could help explain why some cultures prefer one kind of music to another, particularly if differences in vowel sounds found in the languages produce different resonances.

There's a joke in there somewhere.
­

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10471

Ciao.

Bosnian: ćao
Bulgarian чао (transliterated as chao; "goodbye")
Croatian: ćao
Czech: čau ("hello" or "goodbye")
English: ciao ("goodbye")
Esperanto: "ĉaŭ" ("goodbye", rarely "hello")
Estonian: "tsau" ("hello" or "goodbye")
French: ciao, sometimes tchao ("goodbye")
German: ciao, sometimes tschau ("goodbye")
Interlingua: ciao ("goodbye")
Italian: ciao ("hello" or "goodbye")
Latvian: čau ("hello" or "goodbye")
Macedonian: чао ("goodbye")
Maltese: ċaw ("goodbye"); also ċaw ċaw ("bye bye")
Portuguese,: tchau ("goodbye"); esp. in Brazil, also diminutive tchauzinho
Romanian: ciao or rarely ciau ("goodbye", less frequently "hello")
Serbian: ћао or ćao ("goodbye", frequently "hello") - (this developed into to ћаос оr ćaos).
Slovak: čau ("goodbye", less frequently "hello")
Slovene: čaw ("hello" or "goodbye"); also čaw čaw ("bye bye")
Spanish, esp. in Latin America: chau or chao ("goodbye")
Turkish, cav ("goodbye")
Venetian: ciao ("hello" or "goodbye")

Ciao.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1885
Jan, et al: Got the Oppo link. Yeah, from what I understand from several West Coast friends, the Oppo 970's audio "guts" are basically the same as the Cambridge innards. Don't know, but I keep a close tab on the Oppo (AKA BBK Electronics from China) as it goes from one design to another.
If/when Mer and I get our big-screen TV this coming autumn, we may well get the Oppo 981 player. Unless, of course, the good Chinese folk have a 991 or something like it by then. Sigh. Can't keep up!

I have no qualms at all with the Cambridge SACD and DVD-video sound - especially with my somewhat limited associated gear. But the red book CD sound still frustrates me (as it does so many other non-Apollo-owning folk).

Incidentally, my Laserdisc friend says no more LD gear - he has a local mope who will soon begin transferring his Laserdiscs to DVDs. Good move I'm thinking. . .if the quality holds up. Don't know.

The PentaTone folk, BTW, produce knockout sound on their SACDs - as John A surely knows. And for the surround-sound aficionados, sorry, guyz, but I just can't stay in your camp. Two-channel sound, even with the SACD format, is much more to our liking.

But I hear more and more from West Coast friends who are now hard disc and "Squeezebox" fans - and who tell me that this is the future of good stereo sound. I'm thinking that they're right, from my limited investigations.
So - when will the first "credit card", uh, "records?" come out? Verne and company are already using them in LA - and report impressive sound, no gear wear-out and overall excellent results. Hmm. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1363
Just back from a week's R&R at beautiful Byron Bay and I see the old dogs are wagging a few tales again. Larry, many happy returns for the 23rd and may you have many more, my friend.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1886
MR - thank you, my friend, and I guess "welcome back," though coming off vacation doesn't seem to be a cause for celebration! (grin)
Our best to you and Ms. Rantz who, I'm sure, is as glowing as ever. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1364
Thx Larry - Mrs Rantz was glowing until last night (early morning really) when, in the dark she walked into a concrete wall in our holiday apartment face first. Cut lip, very sore teeth and swollen nose - uhm well yes, perhaps glowing is appropriate - and bruised ego of course.

I may be the dinosaur here, but music downloads, credit card 'recordings' etc are not on my wish list. I do like to browse and read info and hold something tangible for my music money.

Speaking of which - was browsing a music store in B B (where they have the annual Blues and Roots Festival btw) and picked up Harry Connick's 'Oh My Nola' CD. A big band jazzy Naw'lins tribute. Great stuff, but not up your alley methinks. Not an SACD in sight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7402
Harry Connick's 'Oh My' is a beauty.
nother sniffle to how great Sinatra's performances were.
Not a knock on Harry, indeed a compliment, but Frank's recordings, the band, including Dorsey's greatest ones, with Buddy on the kit, they were fabulous.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1365
Sinatra, Frank, Dorsey, Buddy!

Who are these guys?

:-)

Actually, Frank lost me when I saw his concert here many, many moons ago when he had to read the words from a teleprompter and still lost the plot. Great music for sure - but Frank was no God.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4806
Frank was usually as close to God as you'll get. He was probably past his prime when you saw him because in his heyday his live performances were legendary...period.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1887
MR et al: Good grief! You jest kain't take some peeple anywhere without dem getting hurt, kan U? (Sigh)
Sorry to hear about Ms. Rantz's cementous encounter, and hope that the lady feels better immediately.

"Not a SACD in sight" is a common complaint - I hear it from many quarters. In our faire towne there are only two emporiums of silver-disc: Barnes & Noble and Border's bookstores. Neither gives SACD a nod, and you have to search them out - if there are any at all in the alphabetized bins. Sigh. I've only managed to snag three in the years we've been here in Swampville.
Needless to say, I get most of my discs from Amazon.com - a great place to shop!

As to reading about the contents of the CDs, etc., yeah, I really do miss the good old LP jackets - especially since my eyes get a bit weaker by the year.
Verne and his cohorts have some sort of method using I believe compact flash cards with a kind of lossless compression that they "claim" gives them true CD/DVD-video sound quality. They've got players that I've only heard described, but never seen.
A wooden box about six inches (15 cm) wide by about 4 inches ( 10 cm) high by about another six inches (15 cm) deep. On the front, they say, is a slot for the "card," and simple start/stop buttons.

I've tried to get Verne to send me one, but he refuses - at least so far. Claims "rights" and a lot of legal stuff at this point.

From what I gather, this is a new departure for them, and I guess they're trying for patents and acceptance by recording companies. He won't say more than that.

Sound suspiciously like a jacked-up iPod to me, but what do I know? (grin)

Difference is, I guess, that they're working toward hardware to replace the CD itself - sold as solid-state music that has no moving parts and, as they claim, sounds even more natural than the SACD discs. Hmm. . .

A lot of people - as y'all know - are already experiencing "better" sound from hard drives and such things as Simply McIntosh's "squeezebox" technology. Personally, I'm just starting into the hard drive experimentation - with my personal belief that the sound IS more natural there.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1366
If what they say about Frank is even half true, being as close to God as you'll get is a bit of a stretch imo. I'll give that he was getting on a bit when I saw him live, still you'd think he'd give up gracefully rather than make a fool of himself. There are plenty of legendary performers - it don't make them Gods. I liked much of what Frank sang (or crooned), the music was great, I just didn't think he was that 'great'. However, we all are entitled to our opinions.

Larry, yes on-line there are SACD's a plenty and they keep on coming. Although I'm certainly a hi-res surround fan, I must admit that having the Apollo has driven me to much more two channel listening and purchasing of late. The only thing I like about the direction of where your friend Verne is heading is having a virtually indestructable format - losing the need for error correction and delicate handling. Whether the sound is more natural, well that remains to be heard I guess.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4815
MR, you're a bit of a literalist...I'm pretty aware that Frank Sinatra or any other musician is not a god...

Oscar Peterson is still touring with just a fraction of his former prowess, yet I found his performance inspiring. To each his own...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1367
"MR, you're a bit of a literalist"

No Art, I'm not, I was making a generalization as were you and I'm sorry if you took my comment as otherwise. Oh and btw, I won a bet with myself except it was sooner than I thought before a Saturn came your way. You devil you!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1888
How strange is life: Here Art is getting a new Saturn, and my friend Jerry is losing his - along with a good chunk of everything else he owns.
Let me 'splain. . .

seems that last week, when his wife, Helen, was "out with the girls" at a dinner/movie thang friend Jerry decided to "entertain" a down-the-block blonde. Sigh.

I thought he was brighter than this, but what did I know?

Anyway, long about 9 p.m. Helen and a couple of her friends decide to "come home early and surprise Jerry" with a pizza from his favorite spot and some very nice wine.

Uh-huh - you dawgs know what's coming. . .

The ladies drive up to the house real sneaky-like, douse the car lights and tippy-toe up to the front door.

thinking that ole Jer is in his listening room, they open the door. No Jerry. . .

well, they hear some sounds from the guest bedroom - and all three women decide to just charge right in and yell: "surprise!"

Uh - - - they grab the pizza and the wine and yank open the door - but the surprise is on them.

There's good ole Jerry and the down-the-block blonde, nekked as Jaybirds and thrashing about on the big, comfy bed. . .

Screams emerge, and a whole lotta fighting apparently takes place. . .

Bottom line - - Jerry is in a motel, awaiting bigtime divorce proceedings - without his Saturn, his Krell or his Maggies.

So much for "good listening," eh? double sigh.

I asked him about his beloved audio stuff, and he just said that Helen's lawyer was "tying everything up" pending court hearings.

I knew that the marriage wasn't good, but this came as quite a surprise to me.

Give a little, take a little in life.

And BTW -

ART - congrats on the Saturn - from what I heard, it's a knockout machine!

Respectfully. . .(and happily married) LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 7416
One word from a man who has been there.

Motel

Another word from a man who has been there

Honesty

Last word from a man who has been there.

Fidelity

Paid the price, saw the damage, heavy of heart.

My last words on the topic.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4819
Well boy howdy Larry...that's a heck of a story. Thanks for the congrats. I left a few words over in cables for you relative to the van den Hul info you dropped. Ofcourse you know that this means I have and Apollo that I don't need...hint, hint. Sorry I have no infidelity stories to share...I've always been honest with my "wives" relative to everything except audio upgrades...lol!!! Why do you think the Saturn makes sense...think she can tell the difference? Just kiddin' I told her last night...picked her jaw up from the floor this morning!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1889
Art: As an old preacher-friend of mine often-times said: "get thee behind me, S atan!" Oh, the temptation - oh, the tingling feeling of anticipation - oh, the shock as Mer lets me have it with her killer left foot, right in my most sensitive spot! (grin)
An Apollo? Even a "pre-loved" one? Sigh. Wish I could, I wish I could, I wish I could. . . .double sigh.

Now, if it only played SACD.. . . . . . . .

With great respect. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4823
Lar it does...it sounds better with the cd layer on my sacds than my sacd player does with the sacd layer...Oh well, thought I'd ask.

Yeah, many are the temptations but too great are the consequences.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1890
Art: Sure that your middle name ain' S. . . .n? (double grin)
Yeah - temptation -but as 15 of my 32 SACDs are NOT hybrids, they wouldn't play on the Apollo.

Anyway - the old bugaboo, "money", is the ever-present deterrent to upgrading in this household. . .(grin)

respctful-like. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4825
That ain't the temptation I was speakin' of Larry...keep your eye on the ball. Remember your story..lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7418
oh, the shock as Mer lets me have it with her killer left foot, right in my most sensitive spot! (grin)

Mer is going to kick you in the wallet???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us