Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8364
is this a 12 step program, MR?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5256
I read that earlier and enjoyed it...thanks for sharing for the folks who don't get Stereophile.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 645
M.R. I think you really nailed it with that.

I have spent over 5 years working on my sound, the MAC I just bought pretty much got me home. NMyTree gave me another tweak, pulling the Rogue pre-amp out of the Panamax and plugging it directly into the wall. That tweak will have me listening critically for a few more days. Once done with that I am done.

What I mean by that is that I no longer have to listen for the echo off of Gilmore's microphone, or whether Elvis sniffed or snorted between the chorus and verse 2 of a particular song.

I have my system set up to where it will all be there if I want to listen for that. Even though I have been feverishly listening for that forever it absolutely wasn't my destination only my journey. I was on this path, not for hi-fi snobbery as some suggest. I was on this path, my journey, to get my system dialed in the best I possibly could, with a sound I truly love.

Having done that, I now chose to, simply, just listen to the music. For me, it is the best it can be. I know that. I worked to make it that. I no longer have to listen to prove that to myself.

I can simply just sit back and enjoy the music.

Occasional tweaks notwithstanding.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 205
So you like Stereophile? What others? I read a bunch of mags when I am shopping and forget them otherwise. Lately I have read them all. Are some magazines or authors recommended?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4721
This topic calls back to the thread "Do you listen".

Listen to music.
On the hi-fi.

How about...
Listen to music.
Through the hi-fi.

The ideal hi-fi is transparent - it is medium to which we do not have to pay attention.

When we get into hi-fi, we are trying to find out, and remove, all the things that get in the way of the music.

Isn't that the point?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4722
Just now the next thread above this one is called "Music selections for the speaker guys..."

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1513
How about...
Listen to music.
Through the hi-fi.

If we're going to be picky:

How about...
Listen to music
From the hi-fi.

When we get into hi-fi, we are trying to find out, and remove, all the things that get in the way of the music.

Isn't that the point?

Exactly the point John.

Or replace all things that get in the way maybe.

Mike - it is good that you have arrived at your journey's end as many others have. Some, like Jan got there a long time ago. Unfortunately, for some of us who had career paths other than audio, that journey can be a bit more arduous and expensive. And whether we admit it or not, listening to the hi-fi is part and partial to reaching the journey's end. That does't mean there are no long periods along the way when we:

Listen to music.
Through the hi-fi.

Maybe I'm still on that journey, who knows, but let me tell you - I'm really cruising :-)

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1514
Kevin, I don't buy the audio mags, except for only a few in the past couple of years. Usually I read their on-line aricles. Much Cheaper and way less garbage to wade through.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 435
I like your assessment, M.R.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us