Help!!!!!!! NAD nightmare!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 52
Allright, I read all of the posts about NAD problems, and I bought one anyways because there were also alot of people saying they were great receivers. I received the T762 in the mail today, and it won't leave standby mode. I think I saw somebody else reporting a similar problem. Maybe it is something I can fix easily...I don't know. It doesn't respond to either the remote or the front buttons. I made sure the trigger switch was off...I have no idea what the problem is. I am especially steaming because the dealer promised me he would test it a full six hours before sending me the unit (since I am abroad). I now seriously doubt that he did, but I will let him answer the email I just sent him before I start trashing that particular dealer here. But...maybe there is something simple I am forgetting. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 92
So it powered on first right? Standby mode happens when you turn the reciever on fully then using the remote power button to put the reciever into standby mode. I assume thats how it went. Which "trigger switch" did you turn off?

I'd try re-setting the unit. It should be in the
manual.

Bronze Member
Username: Vulture99

Post Number: 22
This might be a dumb question, but is the AC power inlet voltage compatible with your location? I don't know what voltage you use there, but I'd be sure to check that since you bought it from someone overseas.

Username: Stevebansee

Post Number: 2
Sean,
I'm a newbie to hifi myself, so I don't know if this will help. But, did you make sure you don't have a short in your speaker connections? It could be your wires got crossed and the receiver goes in protection as soon as you try and turn it on. Maybe disconnect all speaker connections from the back of the receiver and then try and turn it on. If it comes on, then look at the connections.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1159
Sean,

On NAD - To be or not to be? you say the problem is solved, if I understand correctly. What did you do?!

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 59
John,
Once again, I apoligize for not getting back to this thread. As I noted on the other thread, the receiver suddenly began working normally after being shut off and unplugged for about one hour. I came back in the room later, plugged it back in and turned it on---no problem since.

It was not the AC voltage issue (I have a converter), it was not a speaker shortage...I am not sure what it was.

I mentioned the "trigger" issue because the manual says that the "trigger" (which is used to daisy chain the unit with other electronics to automatically turn it on from standby) will disable the remote and the unit's front buttons. This is exactly what had happened to me. The amber "standby" light was on when the unit was plugged in, but I could not get the green light to go on indicating that the unit was working. I kept turning it on and off, and occassionally the red light came on suggesting that there was a problem. At one point, the unit started, but it became frozen again in one command, and neither the remote nor the front buttons were responding. I unplugged it, left the room, and started doing web queries. I came back in an hour, and plugged it back in, and it started.

Now, knock on wood, no problem.

Maybe it needed to sit for awhile after travelling from California to Virginia to Kazakhstan. Or, maybe I will still have problems later. But, for now....it is ok.

I will note that the people at DCM electronics told me that I should try to reset it. The instructions were: "Try unplugging the power cord for about 10 minutes, then power it back up. If it turns on, press the "video" and "tone defeat" buttons simultaneously for about 5 second, then let go. It should show "AH RESET" on the display. Unplug the power cord for about 10 second, then power it back on." I did not do this yet, because it is working now, but I will try this if I have further problems.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity, and thank you for your interest. Also, sorry again for being a poor bulletin boarder. You guys are fantastic for helping all us newbies out!

SEAN
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us