Audioquest type 4 any good?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 571
Hello. Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable as I think my current cable colours the sound and makes the bass sound conjested.

Has anybody had any experience with audioquest type 4.

p.s. it's a potential upgrade from Gale Xl105 stranded speaker wire

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Forget it. I just tried my QED silver anniversary XT again after I dismissed it for being too bright. I realised I much prefer it to the Gale. The sound is crisper and more detailed only this time im using it with the jumper plates removed and replaced for copper wire.

Theres a much more open soundstage then the Gale. And the bass conjestion/boominess has gone.

Maybe somebody will find this useful..

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11137

The AudioQuest you mention is a very nice budget cable. But you don't say what components or speakers you own or how you believe your current cable is wrong. If you're trying to find a cable that solves a problem elsewhere in the system, buying a speaker cable that does that is probably the wrong choice.

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 153
I would second the Type 4 and even better type 6 but both are quite similar.
What equipment would it be associated with, i had very good results with B&W 600 series with NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio.

By itself its a very nice cable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
I did say how I think my current cable is wrong.
Theres parts of both cables I like and dislike. Im looking for a medium where I get a cable with both these good characterstics.

"Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable as I think my current cable colours the sound and makes the bass sound conjested." Thats what I initially said.

"buying a speaker cable that does that is probably the wrong choice." I've also come to conclude this may be the reason.

Simply the gale is a neutral(which I like) but a bit boring and unrefined like the qed.

Now the qed I've noticed is a brilliantly detailed and cable, tight and accurate with the bass, exciting, but there is something harsh about it which is clearly evident to me with female voices.
Is this down to the aircore of the cable or the silver strands do you know?

Equipment is cambridge amp. Wharfedale bookshelfs. (check the profile).
Its funny how one can move back and forth between equipment and like it again.

Im going for a demo at sevenoaks in around a week to see what some Monitor Audio BR2s are like. Also I'll check out the new B&W 685/686s just for curiousity.

But there are a couple of other factors which I have thought of for this harshness I hear..

-My speakers being a small room
-The size of the tweeter in comparison to the woofer (5inch and 1 inch). Im not sure this matters??
Reason I mention this is because when you consider big floor standers with the same size tweeter, or bookshelfs with a 6.5inch woofer.

On ebay I have on watch the audioquest type 4, some chord carnival classic (any input on this one please?) and carnival and some odyssey.
My aim is to get a small cut for cheap to try it out.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11138

So why do you think the cable is to blame? How about room problems causing the harshness. That would be my first guess rather than cable. Have you tried placing a double fold album or a piece of newspaper behind your head to listen for room reflections that could be causing problems?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8344
And posting a pic of that?
Sorry, I could not resist.

Using an angular guide as Jan points out is a great way of localizing reflections and getting the rear of the room out of the picture for focus.
I borrowed an album to do this.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 640
I had the Audioquest 6 Plus wire generations ago in speaker wire life. They were solid copper of different gauges. I have improved over them about 3 times now. I have heard good things about the chords.

I agree that you should consider what your room's contributions are to your harshness. Silver wire has extended the treble in my set-up, but not harshly so. Try walking through your room, slowly, while clapping your hands, listen for the echo. If and when you hear it look left and right, that will be a source of harshness. Auralex or similar acoustic paneling may abet that situation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 574
I think the cables to blame because by changing it, it can such a large effect on the sound. But then again, so would changing any other component. Good point Jan.
I'll tell you something interesting about room refelctions which ive observed. When I listen from the side of the speakers the harshness is less evident. When I listen from my primary position (my bed) my head can be up against a wall and the sound does change. When I lay down there is a lower bass boost which is actually quite favourable. Also, everything else seems clearer. But when my heads against the wall, the sound is echoey (must be the hollow walls).
I still have to place my speakers properly.

I've not tried the newspaper idea, I shall do later.
I tried clapping. The echo is comes from the very corner I listen from, where theres two walls. One with nothing on. One with a picture but its got a plastic cover so wouldnt damp anything.

Is Auralex affordable Michael? Also heard a lot of people prefer the chord to the qed.

Nuck, I may infact post a picture sometime if it helps you to help me..

Gold Member

Post Number: 8350
Sure, JJ, go ahead.
It would let everyone help out and share ideas.

I am going to do just that in the near future.

But don't post a pic of you clapping near the one wall with nothing on.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 643
Guitar Center has it for ~$30 USD for 2 4X2 panels here in the states, to me that is affordable. I would check out music (instrument) shops in your local area. They may offer something else. It is dense foam rubber one side flat the other side looks like

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

A poor example but I hope you get the idea.

This will probably be more useful to you;

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&cat=2783&cat2=3525

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5252
I had Chord Rumour (between the Carnival and Odyssey in the line) and it was very good speaker cable. I like the van den Hul that I presently have much better...also look at Gutwire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
Im not that daring Nuck. Yet.

Yes MW, I'd agree with you that it is affordable at that. But Im from the UK, so I'll check out a few music shops I know, one is where I got my soundcard from.

Here's some pictures of my room.
Its never usually this messy btw.

[URL=http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34257_DSC00687_122_719lo.JPG][IMG][URL=http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34264_DSC00686_122_615lo.JPG][IMG][URL=http://img7.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34270_DSC00684_122_740lo.JPG][IMG][URL=http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34276_DSC00685_122_945lo.JPG][IMG]

And would somebody please tell me how to upload a file so it just shows up without having to click on it!
Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
Art, any experience with Van Dan Hul Cleartrack?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1508
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS BY J.JARVIS ABOVE UNLESS YOU WANT INTERFERENCE FROM UNWANTED ADS THAT MAY CAUSE ANTIVIRUS ACTIONS.

J.J

See below the posting box (or directly under the preview/post message button) for the image/attachment upload button. You may need to resize them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8352
600 x 600 max

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Cheers, Yes forget the original links.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I best get this tidied before the girlfriend comes round later!

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 38
Hurry! Clean man.....Clean!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8358
Hurry hard!
The room is ahh, well damped.
Lift the speaker 2', place the stands on bricks.
Place a voodoo wall covering on the bare wall and suspend a flag across the ceiling.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11142

I don't think I'd be spending much for speaker cable right now. There would appear to be bigger fish to fry.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 644
J.J., clearly you are making due with the most out of the least in terms of space and for that I congratulate you.

Do what Nuck suggested, don't buy new speaker cable as Jan advised. Perhaps 2' by 4' Auralex or similar material on both walls the bed sits against.

You have a real opportunity to elevate your listening experience in an inexpensive manner.

Persist and good luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
It's all clean and tidy now, Im proud of myself. I had literally less than a minute to spair.

I titled my speaker upwards a bit more, its a touch better. I dont think placing my stands when I do get them will be an option. I'll use spikes instead and get some spike shoes.

Thanks Michael, I'll certainly look into something to put on my walls. I think I'll do this at uni as I leave end of September. I dont think Jan advised to get some new cable though he advised against it.

Gotta say Nuck was you serious about the flag idea? Another uni possibility I think there :P

Gold Member

Post Number: 8375
Yes, to prevent reflections from the ceiling.
A flag is cheap, light and potentially patriotic.
Loop it in 3 or so pleats, not tight.

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
Loop it in 3 or so pleats, not tight.

Whats that mean?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us