Old cassettes

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 12
Hey guys...
I've recently bought a Technics TR 272, and i was wondering will my old cassettes harm the head and other parts ? reason being most of my cassettes are 10+ yrs old and being in India, i cannot fully prevent them from a little dust too !!
Would really appreciate ur advice....

thanks in advance

swampcat
Unregistered guest
I really dont see why. Tapes are still made in the same formulas for past 30 years except type 3 is no longer made and type 4 (metal) very hard to find Most tapes now are type 1 +2

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 23
Its not actually the type of tape which i am worried about, its the dust in them !!
cos i noticed that initially when i tried playing them, the head got dirty very quickly, although i have bought a head cleaner and i do make it a point to keep it clean, but then if they really do harm, then maybe i shd stop palying my older cassettes....

Anonymous

maybe better to make copies,but then why dont it align with wax or old 78s in they had this mirror of going in there and then you dont see nothing for dust..?But apparntly is "very religeous"apprant entity in lectures of bright dirt!!?"Olnan Homan"and "the lectures, properties of the seeence of grains of sand"fibre se?

Username: L20109

Post Number: 6
Make copies of your tapes, and stop using the originals, because old tapes often are consumed by player heads.

Username: Dunamus

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 1
I am trying to make cassette copies of cassettes that haven't been used for a while. some are kind of sticking instead of turning smoothly, is it possible to lubricate the tape spools with something so that they will turn better?

Barrie Cornell
Unregistered guest
Interesting. I must have 200+ cassette tapes many of which are 20-30 yrs old. Most musicassettes from that era sound rubbish if played on today's hi-fi with poor tape mechanics as well. However, I still record on blank tapes, BASF mainly, from the 70's & apart from the odd problem with tape transports they sound ok & don't leave oxide deposits on deck mechanisms. I would add that that I always place them in their boxes when not in use as I imagine some oxidisation must take place if left lying around loose which would impact on sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us