B&W 803d's - Mac MA5900 or NAD M3

Username: Texguy222

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 1
I own a pair of B&W 803d's and am trying to find an amp that can power these watt hungry beasts. Several dealers are pushing me toward monoblocs but I would rather stick to an integrated amp to keep costs reasonable. My budget is up to $5,000, so I'm considering the NAD M3 or Mac MA5900. Any other good alternatives in that price range that would have the power AND quality I'm looking for? Many thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1499
Your neighbour should be along shortly to advise.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 265
Wow, I have only heard the M3, it was really really good. I heard it on a pair of Paradigm Signature S8's.

Have not heard the MAC. But I am sure it is just as good if not better. "Nothing is better than a Mac", as they say.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11130

Personally, I would pass on the NAD. I don't feel it would be a good pairing with the B&W's. The Mac integrated will do a much better job. However, you should be looking for an amplifier that can deliver a fair amount of current into a reasonable low impedance load. There are better options for that function than a Mac integrated. If you prefer the Mac sound (why would you consider NAD if that's the case?), you might look for a pre owned McIntosh power amplifier. With autoformer outputs, the bigger Macs can handle most anything you ask of them.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11132

What amplifiers do you currently own and what are the dealers suggesting?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 266
Jan- your a NAD hater.LOL. kidding.

Jan is right, although there are SOME people that do love their NAD/B&W combo, B&W will sound better with a more forward/ahhh sort of brighter integrate. AND..those B&W's sure could benefit, like JAN already said, by a huge Power Amp. Jan, maybe a nice big NAD power amp eh..lol jokes. Once you go MAC you wont go back Steve.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 2
I think you guys are talking me into the bigger Mac, perhaps the MC402. Most of the dealers I have talked to are pushing the big monoblocs from either Classe or Mac. They do sound incredible, but I was really hoping for a Porsche this year. Looks like it will be the Cayman instead of the 911!!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 420
Priorities, Dude.

Get the Mac

That other thing is just a car.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 639
Steve,

There are at least 3 dealers in the Dallas area which offer MACs. One in North Dallas, one in the Plano / Frisco area, and one in Ft. Worth. I also know of a NAD dealer in the North Dallas area. I have heard the M3 and was not at all impressed. I was auditioning a Saturn through an M3 and my Apollo at home sounded better to me.

I eventually had an audition of a Saturn with a more appropriate set up and bought it.

Send me a PM if you would like more input.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8353
But don't discount the Classe Omega monoblocks!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2314
Given that Classe has a very close relationship with B&W (owned by B&W?) they make for a good combination.

That said, I am somewhat concerned that your budget is really too low for these speakers and you should be looking at amps closer to $10k to provide the quality power you need to drive them properly. Furthermore, this should be fronted by an appropriate - and appropriately priced of course - source as in CD player, record deck which should be in the $6000 or better bracket.

There's little point in amplifying a crap signal and then ruthlessly revealing it for a crap signal via your very expensive high quality speakers!

Regards,
Frank.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help. I ended up going with the Mac MA5900. It was a horse race between Classe and Mac, and both were amazing. As you hear time and time again, when you listen to equipment of this caliber it comes down to the sound properties you like best. I guess I'm getting old, but the warmth of the Mac won me over.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8394
You may be getting older, Steve, but your hearing and musical appreciation is maturing as well.
Congrats on the Mac.

What is your primary musical interest?
Or more than one?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us