Sub for Quad11L

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 170
I love the Quads but they have less bass than my Rogers L3/5A. Still I put the HsU power sub woofer VTF2 back with the Rogers because it is HUGE, but fits in my "vinyl" room.
So the wifes living room has the Quads alone. Looking at a sub to go with them. Size and look being a factor or I would simply get another HsU. Looking at the VTF1 in maple. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html
OK, I promise to post some pics today.
Almost as big as the ugly old VTF2 but looks much better in wood.
We don't need or want much bass, as this is not home theater, just 2 channel, and it is an apt.
So I started researching small compact subs but have not learned much except a few recommended brand names. Veladyne has been mentioned here and gets good reviews. Has compact models. I see on AudiogoN Monitor Audio 360. There are a lot of subs there and on ebay. The popularity of Home Theater seems to have given speaker makers a big boost.
For example, on ebay some cheapies: Psb Alpha Sub Zero i;
B&W ASW 300 Subwoofer Maple; Monitor Audio RADIUS 360;
Not a big investment so I would be willing to give any of them a try.
Ideas?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 171
Just looked at ebay again and see the B&W and Monitor have only 4 hrs left. Oh well, plenty passing by.
The truth is I am very tempted to stick with what I know, HsU.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 172
Does front speaker style transmit more into the room and less to other rooms than downfacing speaker? I would guess it is the same because it is vibration from the box, right?
I put my HsU up on 4" blue foam then 4" patio block. I think it helps keep sound in the room but am not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8331
KC, when the sub is integrated properly, the configuration really does not matter.
The firing position of the sub might make proper integration of the unit easier, but that is room dependant.
Your requirements, the rolloff, and rollin of the thing will decide for your ears.

With either Beethoven or Roll over Beethoven.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 173
"...Beethoven or Roll over Beethoven..." I like that. Right now I am playing Sultans of Swing LOUD on the Sultans of Swing. The mid base on the Quad is nice at that level but disappears on the quieter music.

Any thoughts on these cheap units, say Monitor http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D230160190803&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013
Giving up quality to get a smaller size?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 174
Ebay is wild. I had never looked at it before a month ago. That Monitor 360 sub was won by $10 with 6 seconds to go!
But that same thing happened to me already several times.
I missed a bunch of deals on AudiogoN too. Most recently a pair of Quad12L went as soon as they went online. I watched my nephew sell a Toyota Pickup in Seattle on Craigslist in 4 minutes! I could not believe it.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 175
"...Right now I am playing Sultans of Swing LOUD on the Sultans of Swing..."
Jeez! That was w/o alcohol too. Now playing Money for Nothin" LOUD on the Quad11L.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5240
Last I heard Quad makes a great sub....

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 177
I am sure they are good. There is a beauty on sale now in bird's eye maple but it is even bigger than my old Hsu.

Here is one like I have now: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1190924340

I see Quad Lite model is somewhat smaller but is not exactly small at 75 pounds.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5241
I had an Era that was quite small and weighed 70 lbs. Small and dense.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2068
I don't know your budget nor do I know the specs and sizes, but a few names to look into are -
ERA
REL
Totem
Martin Logan

I haven't heard Quad subs. Linn makes a very small and decor friendly sub - Komponent sub. I haven't heard it nor know how much it costs, but you may want to research it. If you've got some cash and space, Naim makes a killer sub. Its about $3K though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8338
For 3k I might consider the JLaudio 13" unit.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 186
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I guess I was checking if my first idea was good.I am pretty sure I will go for the Hsu mentioned at the top. Can't go wrong at the price!
The expensive ones don't compute for me because for that kind of money I would buy some speakers that don't need a sub.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 192
I made the order: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1191275075

It is small and black to match the monitors. That will keep her happy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8354
That one looks promising, Kevin.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5254
That's a very good litle sub Kevin. One of the higher end Velo's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8355
Art, you and Frank have commented on the lower Velo's being not so hot. Does this constitute a better quality of sub for a tighter(and higher volume) unit for a stereo?
Would you consider this Velo a step closer to a rel or such?
More music?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 200
I will let you know when it gets here! Truthfully, if it were for any other room than the living room I would have gone with another one, maybe the Hsu in wood or the Quad. I have no conflict with the boss on this stuff, but the Velo does match the glossy piano black monitors that she was so pleased with. I know, looks should not be the prime concern nor is it in "my" room. The Velo was a good price and is small and looks like a set.
It does bring up a question of hifi journalism. I have no real reason to trust HiFi Choice mag but admit that when I saw the "Product of the Year Award" in the July 07 issue and the sub on AudiogoN. I have been wanting to post the question of magazines here. In any case, it did influence me but I usually do hold critics esp music with a grain of salt.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5259
It's not like REL or ERA but different altogether. Very tight high power subs...good choice for music (I know I said that already).

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 202
I have not heard the REL or ERA. It is not easy to shop in the boon docks! Just have to give it a try.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5262
I think you'll be pleased....

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 206
I am getting nervous. Big flurry of emails while we cemented the deal Fri Aug 17 when I did the paypal order.

Now Mon eve Aug 20 and still no response from seller. I have requested a shipping date. He is observing silence.
When should I get really worried??

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 208
Yes, finally got the shipping notice Aug 21.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8385
Warm up the dogsled, Kevin.
Airport pickup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us