Matched Speaker for Jolida Tube Amp

Username: Anaudiophile

Post Number: 1
I have Jolida tube CD player and amplifier.
CD player is JD 100A with 12AX7A x 2 at its gain stage.
Tube amplifier is JD 801A. Output power 70W + 70W with output tube EH6550 x 4. Pre-amplifier is using 12AX7A x 1, power drivers are 6SN7GT x 2.
I am looking for speaker now. Any good recommendations? My budget for speaker is around USD 3000.
Please help to advise.
Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11103

Buy a speaker that is tube friendly and you'll be happy.

http://www.symphonysound.com/articles/tubefriendly.html

Take the time to read this article. It can save you lots of money. The LS3/5a mentioned in the article is still in production along with several clones from other companies. The 3/5a or similar speaker paired with a subwoofer is a terrific value oriented system that is competing with the best available in every way other than sheer volume. In a small to medium sized room this is a combination that should satisfy any music lover.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 880
I'll assume that you listened to the amplifier prior to purchase. If so, why didn't you get a complete system there? You would have been guaranteed a good match, instead of trying to bargain shop now and hope that you get something that matches up well.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your information, Jan Vigne.
I will study it before make any move.

Post Number: 3
Hi, Stephen.

It is a very long story....
I am very new to HIFI. I bought the Jolida CD player and amp after listened to my friend's system.

He is using same Jolida CD player and amp for long time. He matched it with Audio Physic New Tempo IV speaker (around GBP 2200). I think it is a nice system.

The shop where I bought Jolida CD player and amp matched it with BMW speaker, 705. It was very clear and bright sound but not so enough bass.
I think I prefer Audio Physic Tempo's sound compare to BMW. That's the reason I only bought the player and amp.

Now, I am trying to get some advices here before I decide to buy Audio Physic Tempo. I hope I can get a pair of speaker which sound better than Tempo. Sorry, hope you won't think that I am too greedy. :-)

My second question is about cable. My friend uses all cable from Siltech.
Siltech SPX-20 power cord for CD player and amp, Siltech New York series interconnect and speaker cable.
He invested quite a lot of money on cable. Is it worth to do that? What do you think? What is your recommendation about cable?

Hope to get some advices from experts like you all.
Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 194
I have the same CD Player, except I had it modified and changed out the tubes for different ones.

A good match would be the Soliloquy 5.0 monitor...if you can find any...

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 195
Wait--you want to spend more money....I use the CD Player with a sugden class A amp and Soliloquy 5.3i floorstanders. Other good choices might be the green mountain Europas, or the Callistos (also by Green Mountain). I think the Callistos would be a good match-- try and get a used pair on Audiogon and they might fit your budget. Audition first!!!!

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Marc Sherman.
I will search more information about those speakers you remendended to me. If have chance, of course I will audit it.

By the way, how did you modified your player? What kind of tube you have changed for it?

Post Number: 5
Does anyone know about Audio Physic Tempo IV?
Any comments about this speaker? Is it a tube friendly speaker?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us