Bookshelf Speaker recommendations

Username: Silvannone

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the market for a set of bookshelf speakers for a sitting room/office that's about 20 x 12 feet. I'm looking to spend not more than $400 or so. I have a Pioneer VSX-D603S A/V Receiver, a Sony CDP-C545 CD Player, a Sony TC-K615S Cassette Deck, and a really old Technics SL-J3 Direct Drive Turntable. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lisa

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1227
Consider these:

AV123 X-LS
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1
Monitor Audio Silver S1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D320144851945
Infinity Beta 20
http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-BETA-20-CHERRY-NEW-PAIR-199-AUTHORIZED-SELLER_W0QQi temZ130142445980QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14991QQcmdZViewItem
Whafedale Diamond 9.2
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.storefront/EN/product/2615

There are many others, but these would be on my short list.

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 21
Boston Acoustics also have a number of bookshelf speakers that are within your price range and are sold just about everywhere.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_product.aspx?collection_id=1&category_id=4

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11073

These will do everything you need in that situation;

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Bookshelf-Speakers-SS-B1000/sem/rpsm/context /99000229/oid/179949/catOid/-16882/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5197
http://www.goodsound.com/features/2007_03_01.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1228
Jan, have you been drinking?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11076

No. Is that an offer?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8274
I have, Here have one.

Lisa, is this enough to get you started?
I might suggest you look for Usher speakers as well.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 191
Mysuggestions are as follows;

1. Get your turntable cleaned and possibly a new stylus and cartridge if needed. This can be done for about 45 dollars or less depending on where you take it.

2. Lots of bookshelf options. I truely like the Ascend CBM 170s. Another good choice are PSB Alphas. I have both of these. I'd try and get the older Ascends used if I could. But thats an opinion. AS opposed to the newer SEs , which are already being swapped out ( I am not sure the new tweeter thing worked out so well)

3. I don't like the sound of av123.com bookshelfs at all. Their strength is in subwoofers really.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5209
The little Ushers are very good indeed!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8277
That's from your tip a while back, Art.

That was a very happy customer indeed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8278
Marc, I still have Alpha's in the family. Are yours the first series run, Like labelled as just 'the amazing Alpha'?

Very capable, if dated a bit.

I built a pair of light 2x4 stands for them, and they were very lively.
Very good speakers, for cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1229
Anytime your in NYC Jan, I'm buying.

At $399, those Monitor Audio Silver S1's are an exceptional value, however, for $250 (delivered) these Infinity Beta 20 are the best bargain going, IMHO.

Yes, I know I own a pair, and we all want to like what we own, but consider that I absolutely LOVED my Mission M32i, and the Beta 20, by a slight margin, bested them.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11080

" ... I absolutely LOVED my Mission M32i, and the Beta 20, by a slight margin, bested them."

In what way?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1230
The Beta 20 & M32i have very similar spacial qualities, but the Beta 20 have noticeably better low-end. Bass was more enveloping, deeper, and just seemed more effortless. I had previously considered the M32i's low-end to be one of it's strong points.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11081

Do you think that's a desirable quality in an office/sitting room system? Driven by a Pioneer receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1231
Point taken.

I lost track of the original post, focusing instead on the $400 budget, my bad.

With that in mind, I will however offer-up these suggestions to keep in mind, in addition to Jan's suggestion, when shopping around:

Insignia NS-B2111 @ $72
Mission M70 @ $69
Pioneer S-HF21-LR @ $49
Polk Audio R150 @ $49

Username: Silvannone

Houston, TX

Post Number: 2
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the information. I think I'm going to go with the Ascend CBM 170 as a first choice and the Infinity Beta 20 as a second choice. I was using $400 as a ball park figure for my lowly and antiquated Pioneer receiver. I'm using Athena speakers with a Harman Kardon Receiver in the A/V room.

Thanks,
Lisa

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5227
Enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 148
I notice PSB alpha on Arts' link there. I came very close to buying these: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/580/
but went bigger.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 192
Nuck- I bought the PSB Alphas in 1995 or 1996. They really didn't get a lot of use back then, and I wasn't as tuned into higher end audio quality as I am now. But I really enjoy listening to them these days, and do so almost everyday.

AS far as Usher monitors, I have heard good things about the Usher s-520 bookshelfs ( i think those were the ones). Despite visiting the Usher rooms for the past three years at CES, I dont ever recall auditioning them. I'll be on the lookout in 2008 for them to be sure.

Ascend came out with a new bookshelf just recently that is apparently causing quite the sell off. I have never understood pre-buying a speaker that hasnt been released and that you can't audition, and I never will. Anyway, there should be a heck of a lot of Ascend CBM170s for cheap now, creating quite the value.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8297
Marc, good to see you again.
My story is the same with the Alphas.
Used a receiver, then a better receiver, then amp the all new stereo. The little Alphas have played well. Our son uses them now.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2306
Not exactly sure about pricing, although I know they're int he ballpark. You could go for B&W's new DM686. Very good speaker indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Eduardox

Post Number: 7
Frank. What was improved in the 686 vs the 601? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 185
I am glad you asked because I was unaware of the new line in spite of having just auditioned B&W locally. I listened to the 601 and 602 and could live with either one. They had not received the new line. I better go down and see if they have a sale!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 816
The speaker that Ascend came out with is called the Sierra. It is supposedly far and away better than anything else they have ever released.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 196
Hey Gavin--ya I know that. But have you listened to it? Thats my point...

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 827
No I haven't... but I did not care for the CBM 170. IMHO, it sounded boxy.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2312
Eduardo,

The 686 replaces the DM600, not the 601. the new 68x range is quite different to the old 600 series. However, as in the 600 series, the entry level 686 is a very enjoyable performer indeed. It's quite a different design to the 600, being deeper and narrower with new drive units and crossover.

I haven't got my head around the whole range yet so I can't offer much more than that.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 197
It certainly looks boxy...mine are on right now -- cant even localize the sound actually...

Blindfolds anyone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us