CD player problem

Username: Kerouacknew

Trout creek, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
My son turned off my cd player while it was playing.
Now it will not play later tracks on any cds.
It will play the first 8 or 9 songs but will not read any tracks past that. I am assuming the laser is somehow out of alignment. is there anyway to fix this myself?
thanks
Shawn

My cd player is an older sony cd carosel.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2297
Your son's action should not have caused such a dramatic effect. When powering the unit back on, it should have just reset itself. Alignment of the laser is very rigidly controlled. The chances are either that this was an unlucky coincidence (but blame him anyway - it's good for the soul :-) ). There are no user serviceable parts in machines like this. Sony may try to fix it for you (good luck - they, along with many majors, are not renowned for fixing their older units). Either that or find a qualified engineer to do the job.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11030

Do you have any idea whether there might be a disc stuck in the machine?

Post Number: 2
I do not believe that there is a disc stuck inside but i would have to check to be sure.
It appears that this is only affecting my burned Cds as i tried a couple purchased ones and they play fine. It was working fine with burned ones just last week. Maybe the laser has gotten dirty perhaps?

Post Number: 3
i am very confused by this.
I have been burning a lot of cds lately and now most of them will not play past track 8. They work fine in my computer so have been burned correctly. Have tried them in two different players now with the same results. They play fine until near the end and then appear to not be able to read the disc and reset themselves.
Would appreciate any suggestions as i am stumped by it. I believe they were working fine( i think) as i have played them before.
Shawn

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8216
Shawn, please clarify.
Purchased cd's will play OK.
Some cdr's will play OK? And the same cdr's will play OK in the car?
The cdr's crapout halfway through on the Sony, but the same one will play through in the car?

Burners have a finite lifespan, and fail at the end of the disc first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8217
But I like Frank's answer, too

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11035

I think you're just discovering one of the epiphanous mysteries of CD-R's. I have plenty that play fine in one player and not another or play fine through the first tracks only to skip and distort at the end. It's God's way of telling you, "Thou shalt not rip off music." Sony is God, you know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8220
Clapton'll have 'em in court!

Shawn, new cdp's are cheap.And way better.

Look up Oppo players.

Post Number: 4
Through trial and error i have discovered that the burner in my emac appears to be producing this problem. I tried burning at a slower speed 2X with the same problem. I hooked up my old ezquest burner and it burned fine. Wish i would have caught this sooner as i now have around 10 cds which only work past 9 in my computer.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2303
Good catch Shawn. I'd have actually pointed the finger at the discs. So many are now being manufactured which are almost not to standard (did I say almost? My mistake). We get customers having bought serious kit (you know - £1800 DVD players) which can't play their copies of discs and generally it turns out to be the discs themselves which are just out of spec.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11051

How do you determine the discs are out of spec?

Username: 94_eclipse

Circleville, Ohio America

Post Number: 1
i got a 95 eclipse and i took the batt. out of it and now i need the code the numbers on the radio are......MR158590
serial#49199130
im not sure what one is the vin number so here are the numbers i got 3430026 and c24657cwyd..and if u could also tell me how 2 put the code in.....i drive 30 min 2 work every day and i have no radio and it is drivin me crazy thanks it would help ALOT!!

Username: 94_eclipse

Circleville, Ohio America

Post Number: 2
i have a 94 eclipse and i need the radio code MR158590 SERAIL#49199130 IM NOT SUR WHAT ONE IS THE VIN NUMBER SO HERE R THE NUMBER I GOT 3430026 AND C24657CWYD}

Gold Member

Post Number: 8360
go to cars, cody
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us