Please recommend a receiver for my setup .... Polk Audio RM10...Yahama Flat Subwoofer

Username: Hanif

Post Number: 1
This is for my bedroom. Currently I have:
* Polk Audio Home Theatre Speaker System RM10
* Yamaha Flat Subwoofer (YSTFSW100B)

Please recommend one.

I live in Brampton, local stores would be better for me. http://www.2001audiovideo.com/catego...y_id=47&clr=&2
bestbuy.ca

Post Number: 2
YAMAHA RXV659B

Is this ^ worth getting? Can I get anything cheaper than this $500-600+ receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 172
Look at Some Entry Level Harman Kardon Receivers, they blend well with Polk speakers, and will be a better product then an entry level Yamaha.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the fast response, Nick.

So a Harman Kardon 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver With HDMI Switching (AVR 146)would be better suited than a YAMAHA RXV659B?

Heres a link to the receiver I may consider based on your response:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000F S10086964&catid=

I was told this by a friend:

"Forget Denon and Harmon Kardon at less than 400 bucks unless you want their bottom end stuff at a clearance sale. You're probably better off with the el cheapo Sony DG line stuff at that price or entry level Yamaha, Pioneer"

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
That is a perfect choice Hanif.

Your friend is an idiot. No offence. What your friend does not understand is that H/K and Denon are both a much higher class than Sony, and in a slightly better class than Yamaha. To match a entry level Pioneer with an Entry level H/K you would have to buy a entry level Pioneer Elite. I would buy a entry level H/K ANY DAY strictly for pure power ratings and a nice sound over a crap High End Sony any day of the week. Im sure a lot of other people on this site would agree bud. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
H/K is actually the only thing I would even consider buying from a box store. Although they have a nice selection of Blu-Ray.lol cheers.

Post Number: 4
Thats our local store here in Ontario. It's pretty popular but nonetheless I will follow your suggestion. Nick, is there anything remotely better for the price that you can find here? What about the Onkyos?
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/category.php?category_id=47&clr=&2

If I do go with the H/K Receiver, I also hope it works well with my subwoofer. Also, does the AVR 146 have auto calibration features for my Polk speakers?
You've been much more helpful than other forums, by the way and I appreciate your help and time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Im in Ontario as well, and there are tones of full fledge audio shops around. Problem is your going to run up to a minimum value of around 800 dollars for a receiver. IMO I still think the H/K is a better sound than Onkyo. As far as a entry level receiver with what you want, plus a decent sound quality, your not going to beat the H/K your looking at. You can up to a entry level NAD strickly for better sound quality but its going to run you 850 dollars and you wont get HDMI. Plus the biggest thing is, is that H/K really matches well with Polk speakers. Matching up the speaker type with the right receiver is key to a nice sounding system. Cheers.

Post Number: 5
My friend replied:

"------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

I'll chime in. The H/Ks are as much as 3 times the price in Canada then in the USA, for the same model. In the past H/K were reliable and were one of the few companies that stated true watts per channel. This is no longer the case. The H/K line are behind the times when they come to options/$. Their reliability has dropped substantially. Don't take my word on it. Just check up on the many AV forums.

As for the watts per channel issue. Yamaha has been showing everyone what their power supplies can do. They have been very close or exceeding their rated numbers. Even on their lower end receivers.

Denon's are good but are also expensive in Canada. Their receivers really start to shine up at the 1900 series receivers.

IMO ... HKs are a waste of money. Sony has continuous problems and drastically overstate their working watts (with the exception of the ES series),. Yamaha is hitting its stride and is pushing the industry. The new series of Onkyo have good reviews and are making a lot of customers happy. Pioneer does a really good job on their 1016 and Elite line.

For $400 HT receiver I would look at Yamaha and Pioneer. The Onkyo 304 maybe but 505 looks good but is higher priced."

Anyhow, adminst the mixed opinions I got the HARMON KARDON AVR146. It's DSP modes, Dolby PLII Music, Movie and Game are all I need and this is possibly a match made in heaven. The subwoofer sounds powerful with distortation (as it did with my previous Yamaha entry-level receiver) and so far its surpasses the Pioneer receiver by miles. Thanks alot nick!! By the way, I got it for only $412CAD (open box).

Post Number: 6
I mean the subwoofer sounds powerful without distortion

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Right on Hanif. If the guys I talk to on this forum heard what your friend said about Yamaha hitting its stride and that H/K is a waste of money I think most of them would have a heart attack.lol. There is always the higher end stuff. NAD,Rotel,Arcam,Rega,Anthem. But H/K remains somewhat close to these in sound quality. Can't say the same for Yamaha and Onkyo. Plus the most important thing of all, H/K matches very well with Polk's. lol Cheers bud and enjoy your listening experience.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8203
Nice purchase, Hanif.

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 380
I think the Doobie Brothers said it best....

Wo, ooh, oh, listen to the music

er somethin like that

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5176
You made a good purchase the HK's have a nice sound.

The info you quoted from your friend in your last post was right on. There has been a shift and Yamaha has been pushing the industry and improving their power supplies. Marantz makes a very good sounding AVR but again like with HK their reliability has tanked. Their saving grace is a 3 year warranty. Even with lower reliability than previous the HK's still have a signature sound that like Marantz is going to emphasize midrange more than Yamaha and Onkyo...in that price range that ain't a bad thing! Congrats.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
LOL I think that is it. Stryvn, obviously you have a sweat set-up. Let me ask you this, do you feel like Hanif's friend was saying, that Yamaha blows away H/K??LOL. If you walked into a Best Buy and had to pick one audio piece you had to buy, would it not be a H/K receiver. I know my pick would be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8206
My pick would be the refrigerator with a 16" display, net and a stereo, in stainless for 5000$ from LG.
Just stereo, mind you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
Art- When did H/K's reliability tank? Just curious. I didn't think their units have changed that much in the last 5 years.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
You and Ganesh's wife.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
LOL!!

Post Number: 7
u guys know ur sh*t glad I found this forum randomly while researching on what receiver to buy...much appreciated

peace

Post Number: 8
the sound is superb!! Wow! even with music...what a difference!!!

What do you think of my Polk RM10 5.1 and Yamaha Flat Subwoofer (YSTFSW100B)? I think the speakers are fine but could I get a better subwoofer? They were both on sale also at Futureshop and I picked them up before. I think this setup is fine but I just wanna confirm with you guys I am so thankful

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5178
In conversations with Marantz dealers of which I know the owners of 3 retail stores that sell Marantz and HK dealers of which I know several folks who sell them (don't know the owners of any HK retailers) they say pretty unabashedly that both have frequent QC issues. Only one of those Marantz dealers makes it their first recemmendation and that's because he is also an authorized repair outlet. The other 2 recommend Integra and Denon over Marantz. The HK retailers have told me that they take back more HK's than any receiver they sell...by far. this is a trend that I've seen developing with Marantz for the last year and a half or so and with HK over the last year. Meanwhile the Yamaha dealers I know are quite happy to carry them and have very few troubles...Onkyo is yet another story. Their QC history is so bad with AVR's that any improvement seems like a miracle and they have indeed improved...both with their power supplies and reliability. AVR's in general have very low reliablility and it really comes down to what you want to hear and how well your dealer handles repair issues when the need arises. When it comes to AVR's I would chose a dealer over a product, then chose what of their products you like best...sounds silly but.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Art-Thanks for the info.

Hanif- What is your budget if you were to get a better sub. In the world of audio, there is always something better. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
Hanif,

Put your credit cards in a ziplock bag and fill it with water. Close the zipper. Put the bag in the freezer.

You're all done, man.

Post Number: 9
Nick less than $300

Check this list plz, right now I got the Yamaha Flat Subwoofer listed here:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=10554

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
hmmm if your budget is 300 dollars at the moment. Keep the Yamaha. Save your coin, and when your ready for a step forward, JUMP!! lol. If you like what your getting with the yammy right now listen away.Save your coin.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Nick. I feel that the subwoofer could be more powerful but it looks good for my setup.

"Just reviewing your setup again, I'm really surprised you're happy with your sub. You're probably the first person I've heard who likes the Yamaha flat sub. As well, every review I've read on it has been abysmal and I've never seen it anywhere as a recommended purchase. Even on FS, 66 ratings with a score of only 1.68/5 ...but again, it's all in the listener's ears."

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
That sub is very very entry level Hanif. But for 300 dollars there isn't much out there for sub's. Thats why I recommend you save the cash. Then when your ready to upgrade, your ready.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Which is better? Polk Audio PSW111 Compact Powered Subwoofer or Yamaha Flat Subwoofer (YSTFSW100B) or Klipsch Synergy Powered Subwoofer (KSW10)? for my setup
Please advise

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5179
Hsu makes a sub for not much more than $300 which is very good.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I was gonna get this Art but its sold out :-(

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=96

Gold Member

Post Number: 8212
Hanif, the step up to the STF2 is a worthy one.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5182
Sorry Hanif I forgot that you are in Canada...however as Nuck pointed out the step up to the STF2 is worthwhile.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
the STF2 is no where to be found either..sold out :-(

I'll return my crappy yamaha subwoofer and wait to get these

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ah finally found it at a local store in Toronto. They said they only have a demo version but its in perfect condition and has hardly been demoed...for $300 CAD

Gold Member

Post Number: 8218
That's the one, Hanif.
Which store? Couldn't be BayBloor for a decent price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
No some electronics store in Toronto, something Electronics I forget the name. I actually getting them for $250 from someone off ebay. I expect it tomorrow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us