Brand new Technics SL-1200MK2, sound completely distorted.

Username: Jfellman5

Post Number: 1
The title explains the problem. Despite taking extreme care and time
in assembling my new turntable (I studied the manual for an hour before even touching the machine), the sound is drastically warped/distorted to the point of being
un-listenable.

I've tinkered with the balance weight of the arm, the anti-skate
control, the pitch, the tone-arm height, the stylus placement (I used
an overhang gauge) and the speed, and nothing seems to make a
difference. I also, of course, tried different records, both old and
new, all of which played successfully on my old turntable.

Did I buy a turntable with a faulty motor?

Thanks,
Julie

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11024

Why would you think it's a faulty motor? Is the speed inconsistent?

Firstly, "tinkering" is usualy not a good idea unless you either know what you're doing or have someone to guide you.

Place "turntable set up" in a search engine for some guides to getting the table up and running properly. It's possible you missed some tie down screws which would solve the problem. Look for any reference to such in your owner's manual. Otherwise, if the table is new, I would suggest you return to the shop where you made the purchase for either a new table or some assistance with this one.

Bronze Member
Username: Mekongdelta69

Grew up in Brooklyn an...

Post Number: 47
Jan,

This may be a long shot, but wth...

(This is from my SP-15 thread):

Me - Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 05:55 am
Also, as an aside question. I didn't have any SFW 010 spindle oil (my fault -- I didn't realize you needed it at the time), but my friend used a couple of drops of 3-in-1 oil instead (and said there would be no problem). The first time I tried it, it ran too slowly and with a warble (as if you were starting a car on a cold winter day). After about 2-3 mins. of running it, turning it off, then on again and trying it again, it's had no problems whatsoever. So the question is, will there be any problems (in the long run) with using 3-in-1 oil?

You - Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 01:34 pm
The bearing oil is a bit light and will do but is not what most manufacturers would recommend. The oil had to run up the bearing and eventually fill the shaft before it gave its full lubrication. I prefer a Teflon based lubricant for most turntable bearings.

Maybe they forgot to lubricate the spindle(?)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11031

It could be a problem with bearing oil. Unlikely but possible. 3 in 1 oil is a bit light for a main bearing. I would prefer a higher viscosity in this application. Many manufacturers suggest bicycle chain oil. I use Super Lube which is a synthetic lubricant infused (is that what they would do?) with Teflon. You shoud be able to find it at most decent hardware stores.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Jan,

I only copied/pasted that snippet from my SP-15 thread as a reference. I didn't mean to suggest that the original poster had used 3-in-1 oil (I have no idea what he used, (if anything)).

I was just putting it out there as a long-shot (possible) idea that maybe they didn't use any lubrication at all.

Mike____
P.S. That t.a. hum on my SP-15 never came back, which (obviously) means that I fixed it permanently (with your help)...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11040

We're a team, MB, no two ways around it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
"We're a team, MB, no two ways around it."

>> I think you'd be considered the 'senior partner' in this deal!

What I don't get on this board (or on any board where I'm on) is the lack of response. When I help people out with their tech. problems, very rarely does somebody reply with a "Thank you" or a "No thank you" or "I agree" or "I disagree" or [some kind of followup with what they did/didn't do and why it did/didn't work.] Only on political/cultural boards will people respond/debate (usually).

Good example as any, being my SP-15 thread. I didn't know if anybody would respond and if so, who it would be (and how much they did/didn't know). But once you (in this case), responded, it would have just seemed rude/thoughtless/oblivious if I hadn't replied and said something. (I could give a billion examples, but I'm on 'here' right now, so this one fits as good as any.)

Maybe I expect too much from people -- like common courtesy...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11071

I used to think this forum was different than others. Then I looked at others. Forums are like families. You don't get to decide who will sit next to you at dinner and you don't always know what to expect. Usually here, if you are convivial and respectful of others, you'll get along fine and those of us who bring no bad will to the table learn to get along with one another.

I don't understand some threads either. I think people get lost and sometimes can't find their way back to the thread they started to acknowledge help or say thanks. Other times people ask for help and when it's offered they basically tell you to "F" off. My patience gets short at times. There's a level of stupidity I don't remember going through and a degree of ignorance people are willing to accept as OK. Some threads I just don't want to get involved with because I can tell how they'll turn out. Other threads surprise me.

Stick around, MB. When it works it's worth the effort.

Username: Jfellman5

Post Number: 2
Wierd... I acutally posted a "thank you so much!!, I'm off to buy some sort of lubrication, blah blah" response and it never posted, I swear. Sorry guys.

Also mentioned that since I've determined that the motor wasn't faulty (consistent speed) and the turntable was properly set up, the problem may have to do with the needle (purchased separately). Perhaps they gave me the wrong type of cartridge or it was simply a damaged stylus?

I'll keep you posted... if this posts.
Typing stuff twice is fun.

Bronze Member
Username: Thereverend

Davis, CA United States

Post Number: 34
Are you sure it is plugged into the phono section of your amplifier? If not and your amp doesn't have a phono preamp you will have this problem when you crank your amp up really high. Also, make sure that if your amp has a moving coil or moving magnet switch that you set it properly based on the cartridge you are using.

Best,
Colin

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 169
You may find this of interest: http://www.sensiblesound.com/backissues.htm
re: issue #112, June 2007.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help