Yamaha RX-N600 Shorting Out?

Username: Lexrpcv

Michigan

Post Number: 1
Hi audio-experts out there. I just got a Yamaha RX-N600 and love it...except that it's shorting out or something. I connected it to crappy 6ohm speakers (I can only afford to replace one thing at a time) and set the Yamaha to 6ohm output mode. However, when I turn the volume above -20db (to hear it in the kitchen for instance) it just shuts off. Troubleshooting says this is caused by overheating (hmm, volume affecting internal heat? seems unlikely) or by incorrect speaker settings. So I've done what it suggested (the speakers are correctly connected and set to 6ohms, no wires are crossed, and the machine is cool). Now what?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a solution, or is it a lemon?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 93
the volume can very much affect the heat produced, cause the louder you have it, the harder you push the amp. kep it down and see if it still does it.

Michigan

Post Number: 2
I see what you're saying, over the long term...but this thing stops playing immediately when I go beyond -20db. Seems like it would take some time if it were overheating. And it plays for hours, (8 or 10 in a row) without overheating at lower db. Or am I wrong, would higher volume increase heat that much, that quickly?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8183
Maybe not heat right away, but overcurrent is a possibility. Although the speakers are rated at an acceptable load, we just never really know what they are demanding in terms of dynamics.
The power supply of the receiver could be saturated before you get the volume that you want, in which case the protection of the device could shut down at clipping to prevent damage from oscillation.
Try different speakers, ones rated 8 ohms or more.

Michigan

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your help. I decided to return the darn thing before I went past my 30days. I can't afford new speakers which is why I dind't buy a whole set to begin with.

Next time, I'm coming here BEFORE I buy new!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8261
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us