On/off wall mount speaker switch?

Username: Rustyshacklefor

Post Number: 4
Is there such a thing? I have a couple of speakers out on my patio - I had wired for a volume control just inside the patio door - but because I didn't put in a deep enough j-box :-( and the fact that I really don't need volume - just an on/off switch - wondered if something exists that I could use in that wall mounted j-box that would simply turn the speakers on/off?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2010
I'm not electrician and have no experience with what you're trying, but would/could a simple outdoor light switch work?

Post Number: 5
The switch is actually inside the house - no weather worries - and I thought the same thing at first - just use a regular light switch - but there are 4 wires in and 4 wires out (2 for each speaker) and a standard light switch just has one pole - don't think I should mix all the wires together - so I didn't know if anyone knew of a different type of switch that might work better.

Sorry for my extra dashes...didn't feel like a period...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10974

RS - Have you gone to an audio shop to ask what they have available? There are several options depending on how much you wish to spend.

Post Number: 6
Not yet - hoping for some knowledge first before I go in and talk to anyone on what type of thing(s) are available (and to see if online is better shopping...)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10975

"hoping for some knowledge first before I go in and talk to anyone on what type of thing(s) are available"

Why? There are items available. If we tell you to buy "X" and your dealer doesn't carry "X" but carries "Y" and they both do the job properly, what are you going to do; walk out? What if you change your mind about how you want to do this install after we suggest something? A dealer can show you the options.

Pick up a phone and call a dealer.

"(and to see if online is better shopping...)"

If you don't want to go to a dealer and spend a few dollars to solve your problem, buy on line. But who will you hold accountable if what you buy doesn't work? Us? Good luck getting a refund from one of us.

What problem am I not seeing here, RS? Call a dealer. You can always screw them over by buying what they suggest on line to save a few bucks and then wait a few days for delivery instead of having the product in your hand and being able to ask what wires go where.

Call a dealer.

Post Number: 7
Okay...just looking for a little info...sorry...not looking to screw anyone over...just asking what type of wall-mounted switch might be available...maybe a link or picture...didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't have a trusted "dealer" that I go to - just looking for some background info before. Wow...thought the point of a forum was to ask questions - guess I'll ask elsewhere.

Sorry for post...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10977

The forum is for asking questions. But there are limits to what we can answer. A dealer can discuss with you the various options available and in stock. There are multiple ways to solve your problem and discussing it with a dealer who has these options is the best way to find your answer. You are making this way harder than it needs to be.

If you just want to use a light switch, use two. One for each channel.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1216
Now we're getting somewhere. There are switches that have two switches on the one plate, also ones that will turn off multiple circuits at the same time with a single switch.

But there's probably a better way to do it. I'm sure Vigne knows of one, but he'd prefer you give your local dealer your business.

Report back to see if there are better options that what your dealer suggests.

Post Number: 8
I promise to go into a dealer :-)
Do you guys mean a dedicated home audio type store? I just wasn't sure if this would be the place or whether a Radio Shack-ish type of place would be where I would go to look for such a thing. (I would assume most stereo places would have volume controls - I didn't think many people would want such a simple on/off switch mounted on their walls - that is why I was wondering if there was a non-audio type of application I could use.)
I will stop by my local stereo-type dealer and see what they suggest.

Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10982

RS has nothing of consequence for your needs. Go to an audio shop that does home automation. Most home theater oriented stores have supplies in stock for your situation.

Username: Dl_spry

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 6
Why not just use a blank switch plate with two holes drilled for two toggle switches? You only need to interrupt the positive or negitive.

Post Number: 9
Okay...I'm not quite sure what you mean (sorry - can't get the picture in my head...).
I know what you mean about just having to interupt the + or - but I'm not sure what you mean about a switch plate with drilled holes (standard light-type switch?)

Sorry to make you paint me a picture - just trying to see your vision :-)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10998

Dave, you having visions again?

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 14
Dave?? Daves not here!!!
If it is a standard 4"X4" junction box with a face plate I was thinking you could get 2 toggle switches from the hardware and drill 2 holes in the face plate and mount them. I think they also make plastic faceplates that would be easier to drill than a metal one. Am I misunderstanding the application?

Post Number: 10
The j-box I've got is just for a single switch...thus causing more difficulty...I need to either cram in to switches in one or somehow combo the two sets of speaker wire (4 in + 4 out) into one switch - which is maybe why there might be something specific at an audio store that I don't know about - but I appreciate the creative ideas.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 17
There is a toggle switch that has 2 in and 2 out and a pair of those would work. Drilling two holes would be all you would have to do. I'll see what I can find that would be easy for you to get and let you know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11004

OK, RS, go to the hifi shop tomorrow but here's a trick you can use. All you have to do to cut the signal to the outdoor speakers is break the ground connection. Most amplifiers have common grounds. Make sure your amplifier has common grounds before you do this. Take both ground legs of your speaker cables and tie them to the "in" side of a light switch. Tie both grounds to the "out" of the light switch. As long as your amplifier has common grounds, you have successfully turned your speakers on and off. Make sure the light switch is weather proof or you will blow up your amplifier.

Now go to the hifi shop and ask whether they have something more elegant that this $1.50 switch.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8178
err, a double pole single throw will jes about cover it, no?
DPST

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11017

That would work also.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11018

But whatever switch is used, it has to be waterproof or placed in a waterproof enclosure. Things designed for outdoor installation are simple to find an audio shop and there are more options available that might intrigue RS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us