Yamaha HTR-5990 connections

Username: Rsorensen

Post Number: 1
My problem started when I got a new DVD player (Toshiba HD-A2) and receiver (Yamaha HTR-5990). Why do new toys always cause problems? :-) I have an LG plasma HDTV and an older VCR and CD player also hooked to the system. I have Charter cable with an HD cable box that has no HDMI output. I use a Logitech 550 remote. So far I'm set up OK for the DVD player and CD player. I have the TV set up to play with the cable box and VCR alone for my no frills family members, but I would like to have the option to have the sound coming through my speakers. When I hook the cable box component output to the receiver and HDMI to the TV, most channels aren't processing the signal correctly - the notorious line in the middle with the lower half shaking phenomenon. Is there a way that I can get this done - perhaps have the video going directly to the TV from the cable box but have the audio coming through my receiver so regular TV (and my VCR) can have better sound. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 114
HD DVD-HDMI Video cable to the tv. Digital Audio cable to the Yamaha receiver for sound.

Cable Box-Component Video cable to the TV. Digital Audio cable to the Yamaha receiver for sound.

CD Player-RCA cable to RCA CD player input on the back of the receiver.

VCR- S-Video cable(Or composite) to the TV for video, RCA's to the Yamaha receiver for sound.

Shut off the speakers on the your tv in the properties of the tv. Use the Yamaha receiver for audio in all cases, it is much better that way.Keep your video and audio seperate if possible. Sounds like it should be. If your getting the line and video shaking happening on your tv while trying to watch a HD DVD it is probably because your Toshiba is set to 1080p and perhaps your tv can only handle up to 1080i. Try changing the Toshiba to do 1080i. This may not be the case for you though. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 115
Disregard the HD DVD and video problem. As I read your post a bit closer I see that you already have that working.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us