B&O Beovox + Marantz - a match made in heaven?

Username: Ru55el

Post Number: 1
Hello

I am considering buying a Marantz CR 401 to replace the clunky Pioneer someone gave me a couple of years ago. The Marantz has a power rating of 2 x 30w at 6 Ohm.

I would connect it to my ageing B&O Beovox 3702 speakers. The B&O's each have a rating of 40(75)W at 4 Ohm.

The sound I tend to prefer is one that is warm and clear, with defined, sexy, but not rude, bass.

Playlist includes Kruder & Dorfmeister (K&D Mix); Louis Armstrong (Satch plays Fats); and North African rai.

Is this a good match. Anyone know? http://www.saleshop.co.il/Product.asp?Pid=CR401&Cat2Cat1ID=1323&Cat2ID=0&aff=Zap &lang=he

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10936

If you still like the B&O speakers, the amp will play with them without problem.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan

So the 4 vs 6 Ohm ratings don't matter at this level?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10939

The Beovox are a "safe" four Ohm load. Unless you intend to blast the music, in which case, why would you own the B&O's?, the amp should be OK. If you have any concerns which the shop cannot soothe, I would ask the shop for an audition period during which you can return the amp for an exchange should you have problems within the first 48 hours. The Beovox do not suck current like many low impedance load speakers do and should present no real problems to a well designed amplifier. If you are very concerned about the load, make certain the amplifier you purchase states its R.M.S. output power into a four Ohm load. It should produce approximately 50-75% higher R.M.S. wattage into four Ohms over the eight Ohm rating.

Post Number: 3
Great, thanks. Can't blast, paper-thin walls, small flat.

Now where did I put my credit card...?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8116
On the coffee table.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us