Rega P3 meets expectations!

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 69
The P3 sounds great! I realize I am using it with a cheap reciever but apparently adequate. The exciting thing is suddenly uncovering a ton of music that was locked away for 16 yrs.
I don't know who at Rega came up with the colors but I think the lime green table is hideous but I am willing to accept the discount. I could have waited for the new model and paid double. Funny, the wife likes it!?
Now, to learn to copy onto cds.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5113
Awesome Kevin! Spin that vinyl...and hey that lime green aint bad...lol!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 70
It is like uncovering hidden treasures. I wonder if the quality of the cds I make would be improved with a better amp? It sounds good enough to listen to, but I will have a lot of time invested in the burned cd collection that I want it to be of good quality. I guess I could make a cd and compare it with a factory cd on a high end system.

btw I know OR well. I worked at HP near corvalis and at Siltec in Salem during the silicon boom of the mid '90s. I was in Portland and Bend/LaPine this year.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5114
Interesting, I worked at HP in Corvallis for several years. First in building 4 working on the notebooks, then in building 8 on the Monet project and lastly in building 5 in IA and later the Fab. Mid 90's is when I was there. Small world eh!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1983
"I wonder if the quality of the cds I make would be improved with a better amp?"

If you're using the tape outs, then I don't think so. A better pre-amp will improve things, as far as I know.

Also, great pick up of the P3. Its not a legendary deck for nothing. Viva la vinyl!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2283
IIRC the quality of the Onix's phono stage was pretty good. The quality of your recordings is more likely limited by the quality of your cartridge. The P3 can cope with quite capable cartridges and the differences will show readily through the Onix.

I'm not saying you have to buy a cartridge, just that it's more likely the cartridge which is the weak point in the system (without knowing which cartridge you have in there).

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10898

"'I wonder if the quality of the cds I make would be improved with a better amp?'

If you're using the tape outs, then I don't think so. A better pre-amp will improve things, as far as I know."

The cartridge's signal must still go through the pre amplifier's phono section. A better phono stage will give better results at tape out.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1986
That's what I was trying to say Jan. If using the tape outs, the signal doesn't reach the amplifier section, does it?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10903

No.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 71
I am using another kit in a back room for this project.
recording LPs: ADS-R1 Reciever, Rega P3 turntable; CDR Pionier model PDR 609; Rogers L5/35A.
Because my better set up w/Onix is all hooked up to the wifes TV in the living room and I have no room there. I had tried the ADS on the main system and didn't have enough inputs so it was no good on the TV. I picked that reciever up used in Seattle where I got the Rega. They seem to think the phono stage is good. They never push me to buy. Maybe an outboard phono stage (eg Cambridge Audio?) would be a better upgrade.
My receiver looks like this one: http://www.audioweb.com/P/PInfo.asp?pid=161302

Now Gatemouth Brown and Roy Clark are "Makin Music". That is one I never saw on CD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us