Best Amp for ProAc Studio 140's

Username: Satuser

Post Number: 3
I have a pair of ProAc Studio 140's that I am using with a Denon AVR-887 HT receiver. The Denon is ok for the home theatre sound, but the quality of music is pretty bad. I love listening to New Flamenco, Jazz, Indian Classical, Piano and other types of instrumental music but nothing really sounds good on my current setup.

Can someone please suggest a good integrated amp / tube amp / separates that can really drive my ProAc's well? My max budget is around USD 2000 - 2500.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5107
They are voiced on Audio Research, my guess is that a good used AR would do the trick. Actually having heard the combo I know it would.

Username: Arien

Post Number: 8
In one of the shops here, it was usually paired with Primare separates...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8043
Arien, did you talk to the dealer?
Is this his/her best choice of the products they carry, or their best overall in a price range?
What other lines do they carry?

Art, you had these, what kind of power do they require, and are they a very difficult load? I think you said they are quite a handful.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5112
I've given my 2 cents. They are not difficult. Primare is fine gear but if I were to own ProAc again I would pair it with AR....period.

Post Number: 4
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what CD player to use with the ProAc - AR setup. Something not more than a 1000 USD if possible.

I was suggested by local dealer to get an entry level CD player from Cambridge Audio if my budget was tight, but i wanted to get some more ideas on other brands to consider as well.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1984
No idea on how it'll synergize with the rest of your proposed system, but at $1000 US, the Rega Apollo is pretty much impossible to beat. The Naim CD5i is better but at $1700, not that much better.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5116
Stu hit it right on, Rega Apollo is IMO the best at that price.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8045
Agreed on the Apollo.

Username: Rifnaz

Post Number: 1
Try using the Cyrus 8VS amp with the Proac Studio 140 it will start to sing! Im using it and very good sound stage, open sound, very tight base mids are incredible and natural top end. Ofcourse im using is it with Nordost red dawn speaker wires with red dawn interconnects and my valve conrad johnson cd player its sounds very nice. I almost feel the speakers go invisible as the sound is magical. I would definitely recommend the Proacs to anyone who is serious about sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Markdavid

Post Number: 21
How is Proac Studio 140 when compared to Quad 22L and Focal JM Labs speakers , which speaker seems to be better when partnered with Rotel or Nad M series?
mark

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5121
Depends on your preferences. ProAc is the most revealing of associated gear of the 3, and the least forgiving. I wouldn't use them with Rotel and would have to try the Masters Series with them to know. When used with the right gear I like them better than the other 2 speakers (depends on which Focals, but I'm assuming you mean comparably priced ones). When using the ProAc's with less than ideal associated gear they will likely sound the worst.

Post Number: 5
Any comments on the Primaluna tube amps especially the Dialogue 2 versus the Audio Research VSi55? Does it stand up in quality of construction, reliability, sound quality etc against the AR model? I managed to audition the Dialogue 2 with ProAc Studio 130's, and the setup sounded quite good. Not sure if I should the extra $$ (about CAD $ 800) and get the AR or take the Primaluna. Please advise.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5124
I owned the Prologue 2 with ProAc Studio 110's and grew tired of it fast. Do yourself a favor and buy the AR. If you can afford it then cutting corners is just silly.

Username: Akachuckg

Post Number: 2
I use a Butler 5250 amp to biamp my front 140's and a Primare 30.2 for my rear 140's. The Aragon Soundstage preamp allows me to switch to just the front stereo or rear stereo. I got the Primare mainly to compare to the Butler (it is a sick hobby) with the loser going to audiogon. I have not been able to pick a clear winner. The Primare (125 watts) has unbelievable bass with the 140 with a clear mid/treble range. The Butler (biamping 150 x 2 to each), while providing more juice, does not have the same bass slam but has a fuller midrange.

Art, which AR amp would have enough power for the 140's? Any experience with either amp I am using? (I also had an Aragon 8008x3 amp but the Butler sounds better to me with the 140's)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5673
I think that any AR would have enough unless you're trying to drive thrm to ear splitting levels. If you like plenty of power start with the VS110. Use the matching AR pre as well. For best results ofcourse you can go with the Reference Series.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us