SP Distance auidio and adjust settings

Username: Edjamesx

Post Number: 3
Recently bought ONKYO a/v receiver.
I wanted to know about the SP Distance , and audio adjust setiings. I think these are the most common settings in all a/v receivers.

1.SP distance (user manual says it's distance from my listening position) But when i set more feets than my listening position it sounds good.
Is it the maximum distance the sound can travel?

2.I am not sure about the following settings , Audio adjust
Panorama ?
Dimension - i set to 4.
Center width- i set to 3.
center image: 4
SW Sense ; I set to +5B.

I would really appreciate the help.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10891

If you like it the way it is and we tell you to set it differently, will you do it or just do what you like?

Post Number: 4
Hi jan Vigne,
I don't know much about these settings ...I was just trying with different settings in my a/v receiver which works best. If you could suggest me the best way to do it..i really appreciate. But I see huge difference in sound after changing these settings..Initially i never touched these options assuming myself the default settings is OKey.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10895

If you prefer the sound with settings that do not appear to be normal, then you should make a decision. Do you want the sound you like? Or, the sound as the manufacturer and most others would suggest is correct?

To say there is no real right or wrong would miss the point. Settings for distance are real measurements. It would seem they should give the best, and most appropriately correct, sound field in your room. So, I'm not at all certain what you are hearing that would appear preferrable to the "correct" settings.

Settings for speaker level should be relatively close to the "norm" of all speakers having a balanced output, i.e. a setting that does not favor one set of speakers over another. However, a remote control that allows on-the-fly operation is meant to adjust for specific program material and you can find the "correct" setting that would seem appropriate for a particular movie or music disc. In other words, if the center speaker needs a bit more or less volume for a certain movie, make the change. But establish a base line you can return to or the settings will eventually get too far off base.

Crossover settings are what you believe sounds best, with 80Hz being a norm that works in most systems. However, this setting is somewhat flexible and people run higher or lower crossover points as their speakers require.

As a rule, you should get your settings as close to the factory specified "correct" as possible and then make small adjustments from that point. Any setting that deviates substantially from the norm should be questioned. If you have to deviate by a large margin from this norm, you should probably adjust your speaker and listening locations.

Have you done a proper set up of the speakers with a set of guidelines in mind? Or, did you just place them where they fit? If the latter, it is unlikely you have the best sound possible. Do some research on speaker and subwoofer placement and then reset your system to normal. Go from there as program material requires. Your dealer should be able to provice guidelines to start off with. There are many sites on the web that offer clear instructions for speaker set up. This should be where you begin.

Post Number: 5
Hi jan Vigne,
Thanks a lot for your information.
Will the default settings in a/v receiver works best ?. Then i have to blame my speakers. With the default settings sound from my surround speakers and Woofer was not sufficient.I hardly hear the sound from these speakers and my center speaker also sounds little poor. With these adjustments (SP-Distance and audio adjust) in settings i am able to hear the sound somewhat more clearly. I think still i need to adjust the settings to make it work better.
I have been hearing form other reviews, Using SPL meter is the essential equipment to setup the best settings ?.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1444
Of course you need to adjust the settings Edwin. Every room layout and listening position/speakers are different. Read your manual, read your manual, read your manual, and then, once you think you've got it, adjust the settings. Adjust and set the measurements from your listening position to each speaker (use a tape if necessary) on the appropriate menu on the OSD (receiver's on screen display if it has one)- then adjust the sound pressure levels (using the test tones). As I don't know this receiver. I can't give you a step by step guide so, as Jan rightly suggests, type in home theater/surround speaker configuration or set up in a search engine.

Or to make things simple for you, try this for starters: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/

Other than visiting your home and doing this for you, I can't see anyone providing anymore info for you that will help - unless they have the same receiver maybe.

BTW, it will cost you approximately $8500.00USD plus accomodation for my services. Well, air fares aren't cheap from Aus.(grin)

If all fails, consult your dealer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us