Paradigm Signature V2's have finally arrived

Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 2
S2's and C3 finally came in. I will provide a review as soon as they are broken in.

Immediate audible difference is the V2's are not as efficient as the V1's so at the same volume level, the V2's do not play as loud. Appearance wise, like the V1's, they are a beautiful/classy looking speaker, although I almost prefer the look of the exposed tweeters on the V1's better, but like the fact that the V2's tweeter are covered making them less vulnerable. I prefer the look of the aluminum midrange/bass driver over the previous version, however, at a distance they look very similar.

Like I say, I will update you on the sound when I feel they are properly broken in. (I'm not sure how long this will take)

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 82
Are they broke in yet? How are they sounding?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8040
Yeah, Blue, huh? huh?

NB Canada

Post Number: 3
Here was my review from another forum in response to a question asking if I had a chance to compare them to other speakers. It also provides a bit of history leading up to me getting the S2's. Here it goes:

"Unfortunately, we are not in a city that gives us much of an opportunity to demo many hi-end speakers. We can get them, but usually have to order them in because the stores will not carry them as regular stock. The store did have a pair of S2 V1's, Monitor Audio RS6, Paradigm Studio 40 V4 and Studio 60 V3 (which is what I was looking to replace)

The RS6 and new Studio 40's were very impressive. I could have lived with either of these. The new Studio 40's sound so much better than the V3 60's. The 60's were not in the same league as any of them, which convinced me more that I should replace mine. (This is not to say the 60's were bad, but in comparison, they have a much darker, laid back sound) Overall, the S2 V1's provided more detail and the soundstaging appeared much better and more realistic. Imaging is phenomenal, which is to be expected from a small cabinet. However, they also provided a very full sound from such a small cabinet. Quite impressive.

I was able to bring the S2 V1's home do demo in my own environment, so once again, I tried them compared to the 60's. No question, the S2's are much better all round with the exception of a bit more bass from the 60's, but surprisingly, it didn't seem like that much more.

Now, I also own a pair of B&W 804's which are set up in a different system. In comparing the S2's to the 804's, the S2's are the first speaker that I've heard that I think I prefer to the 804's. (I think) Both are phenomenal sounding, but each have their own characteristic sound. It's hard to determine. That being said, you have to consider the size difference and cost difference, and the fact that I would have a hard time picking one over the other says something for the S2's. I then hooked the S2's up with my sub, which is how I will be using them anyway since they are part of a HT system. WOW, this just added the little bit of fullness in the bottom end that they needed.

So, I then pondered whether I should keep the V1's or order the new V2's which have the beryllium tweeters. I figured if I didn't get the new ones, I would probably regret it, so the order was placed for a pair of S2's and a C3 in piano black. I was a bit worried not having heard the V2's, but Paradigm is known for continually improving their lineup, so I wasn't overly concerned.

I hung onto the V1's until the V2's came in which gave me a chance to compare these two. Keep in mind that the V2's were not broken in at the time of the comparison where the V1's were. The first noticeable difference was that the V1's played louder because they are slightly more efficient, which immediately gave me the notion of sounding better, until I started doing some critical listening. The sound is very similar, however, the V2's are a bit smoother. They also seem to provide a bit wider soundstage, probably due partly to the new aluminum mid/bass. They also seem to be quicker. Some details within the music popped out more while listening. These were things that I didn't remember hearing previously, so going back to the V1's, these same sounds were there, but definitely not as prominent. This is probably due to the extremely high frequency response capable from the beryllium, although I'm sure I probably don't hear anything much above 16,000 Hz, if that. However, I think even within my hearing range, the beryllium tweeters possess the ability to let more of the recording through. One thing I have noticed is that our cat's ears perk up a whole lot more with the V2's. That does tell me that the beryllium is producing some higher frequencies than what was possible with the V1's.

So, in summary, the S2 V2's appear smoother, quicker with a wider soundstage and a bit more detailed. All in all, a phenomenal speaker. I didn't even get into the sound of the C3 and the system for movies, but I can tell you, so far, I am very, very impressed. Paradigm has once again improved a speaker that was already phenomenal."

Following up on that, I now have roughly 70 hrs on them and the soundstage has seemed to open up a bit more. All other characteristics are the same as described above. Still very very impressed.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 154
So one quick question blue. How much do those babies cost??? what is your rig like????

NB Canada

Post Number: 4
You can check the pricing directly from Paradigm's website. Because differnt finishes cost more, you have to click on the finish first and it will give you the corresponding cost.

When you ask what my rig is like, I assume you are asking what my other equipment consists of?

Pre/Pro = Anthem AM50;
Power = Anthem PVA7;
CD = Sony RCD-W1;
DVD = Oppo 970HD;
Satellite = Bell HD;
Power Conditioner = MC HTS3600MKII;
Sub = Paradigm Seismic 10;
Surrounds and Rears = Paradigm Studio 20's;
Speaker Cables = AQ CV-8 with 36V DBS;
Interconnects = AQ Corals;
Power Cables = mixture of PS Audio and Virtual Dynamics.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 89
B O I N G. I like it. *Drooolll*

NB Canada

Post Number: 5
Thanks.....I like it too.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 92
Kinda reminds me of my set up except I like your speakers and amps better.lol. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread. The pics are a few weeks old and where the candle is on the top of the right stand is now my blu-ray player. Cheers.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/367614.html

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 93
Let me ask you a question. Which do u like better? The Anthem stuff of the Rotel stuff??

NB Canada

Post Number: 6
It's tough to say which I prefer. The Anthem stuff has a warmer (tube-like) sound. The Rotel is brighter, but to me not overly bright. I have tried my 804's on my Anthem gear and liked it very much, but have not tried my Sigs on the Rotel stuff. I will say, for the price, Rotel offer some fabulous return on your investment in terms of sound and build quality. If I was only using the Anthem for CD playback, then, for the price difference, I would have to lean towards the Rotel, however, if you've ever had a chance to audition the AVM50 for home theater, it is an incredible piece of gear.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 95
Yeah I have actually auditioned the AVM50 and thought it was a great piece. I really like the warm sound compared to a brighter sound. When I purchased my NAD equipment I listened to both NAD and Rotel and, in my opinion I prefered the NAD sound on the paradigm speakers. But from what I hear the Rotel kicks butt on the B&W side. My friend has Rotel and he prefers it over NAD. Matter of opinion.The Rotel has the build quality over NAD but thankfully I have had no problems with any of my equipment. When I heard the Anthem stuff I really really enjoyed it. I didn't have a side by side comparison like I did before but I was sure I liked it the best. For now I will stick with what I have until the full Upgrade bug hits me again.lol. I think I may look at some Anthem or Arcam in the future.

NB Canada

Post Number: 7
Before getting the Rotel, I had a couple of different NAD pre/power combinations home and the sound just didn't appeal to me. The look also is a bit bland, but that is a personal opinion. To each his own. As long as you are happy with your gear, it is all that counts. I would have liked to try their Master series, but they wouldn't bring it in unless I purchased it first, so I ended up with the Rotel, with no regrets.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1987
bluemark -

You have an excellent system.

Two questions/suggestions -

Do you plug your amp into the power conditioner or directly into the wall? This isn't a knock on Monster, but most power conditioners restrict dynamics. A multichannel high current amp like yours may demand more instantaneous power than the Monster will allow. If you haven't tried it, you should try plugging the amp (not everything else) into the wall.

Is your priority movies or music? I ask because if you highly value music (which I believe you do), you may want to look into upgrading your CD player. I admit I haven't heard that specific one, but judging by Sony's tract record in CD players, you should get a huge gain in music performance. You may want to borrow a Rotel CD player or even a Rega Apollo from a dealer for a demo at home. Those should help your system reach its potential.

NB Canada

Post Number: 8
Stu:

Thanks for you compliment/comments. Regarding the Monster Cable. Yes, my amp is currently plugged into it and I do agree with you, but it supposedly does offer protection, so I would rather sacrifice a bit of sound than lose all my gear due to a power spike. However, that being said, I am awaiting a PS Audio Quintet to arrive to replace the MC. It should be in next week and power restrictions should not be an issue with it.

With regards to the CD player, you will see that I do have a Rotel RCD 1072 cd player in my second system, if you click on my profile. I do love the Rotel and probably will replace the Sony at some point with one. I also owned an Arcam 7se before it, and tried both the Arcam and Rotel in comparison to the Sony. Sonically, I could hear absolutely no difference between the 3. A colleague of mine has an Arcam CD92 (I think....anyway, top of line in the Diva series) and again, no difference.

In each case, I used the optical or digital out into my Anthem thereby using the D/A converter within the Anthem. I suspect if there is a sound difference between CD players or other optical pick-up devices, it is due, primarily to the D/A converters, so where I was using the same converter each time, no difference in sound was noticed.

That all being said, I still plan on getting a Rotel RCD-1072 to replace the Sony, for build quality and appearance anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8067
Did you wait for the Baconator on the TV? LOL.

Blue, if you run a couple of cdp's through the setup again, you might try the full Monte from both the 1072 and an Apollo.
Each is distinct(I have both+) and each has its charms. The Anthem may be better than both, but testing transport alone isn't likely to reveal much, unless the trans is a very special$$ one.
Or an underground secret.

NB Canada

Post Number: 9
Nuck:

Are you suggesting I use the analogue outputs from the cdp's into the Anthem, thereby using the D/A converters of the cdp's?

I have been meaning to try it, but it sounds so great the way it is, I just simply say "why bother?" Perhaps I will sometime I feel ambitious.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1992
bluemark,

I didn't check your profile, my bad. I suspect you didn't hear a difference because of what Nuck is saying.

I don't know how good the DACs are in your pre-amp, let alone if they'll be better than the CD players' DACs or not. If you have a quality spare interconnect laying around, you really should try the CD players using the analog outs. With gear as revealing as yours, you shouldn't have any problems hearing differences.

And, please let me know how the PS Audio Quintet works out. Being in the Northeast where I literally have a 5 day forcast consisting of nothing but thunderstorms (its been that way since last month), I'd like to hear how it works out.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 576
Whoa.

Back to the power considerations.

How about finding a blistering sunny day without a cloud in the sky then sneak your amp plug into the wall outlet, say a prayer or two and see what it sounds like.

If you are that careful it is unlikely you will be running anything during a thunderstorm and you can always unplug the amp(s) when you are not using them if you appreciate the difference the wall outlet makes compared as through the Monster or PS Audio Quintet.

Hey, if it works its a free upgrade. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8071
Yes to both, Blue.
My amps are straight into the wall, and that really opens up the headroom, particularly at, ahem, enthusiastic listening levels.

The last couple of years have really brought about some great cdp's, the Apollo being one of them, a great extension of the Planet.
Similarly, the 1072 benefits from the investment made to play HDCD(I don't own any), that Rotel is ruthlessly accurate.
A lot of fun, in fact.

NB Canada

Post Number: 10
Nuck:

I do have a few HDCD's and they do sound fantastic on the 1072. In fact, they even sound better than stadard disks on a non-HDCD player.

Nuck/Michael:

You say to plug my amp directly into the wall. Have you had personal experience running through a power center such as a MC or PS Audio? I will certainly try your suggestion to see if I notice any difference, but I'm skeptacle.

Stu:

The D/A converter in the Anthem is an AKM AK4382 up to 24-bit/192 kHz. The A/D converter is a AKM AK5383 up to 24-bit/96 kHz. The digital processor is a FreeScale DSP 56367 150 MHz.

I'm not familiar with AKM, but by all reports, this is a high quality converter. However, I will try what you say and try using the Burr-Brown D/A converter of the Rotel.

I will let you know about the PS audio, but based on what other's are saying, it sounds like I'm wasting a whole lot of money, first with the MC and now with the Quintet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8078
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6143

Other opinions on this topic

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 11
Nuck:

Thanks. I've read that previously and I too had a cheaper style power bar melt down on me. This was the reason I purchased the MC. The reason I'm changing to the Quintet is due to reviews as well as the ability to upgrade the power cord where the MC has a non-detachable power cord.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 583
My amps are in the wall plug. Used to be in the Monster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us