"B" wiring to 4 terminal speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 62
Would you want to use both speaker 'a' and 'b' from the int-amp to the speakers if running 4 pair of wires to 2 speakers? Or would you prefer to bundle them to speaker a 'A' at the amp?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10863

Why are you running four pairs of cables to your speakers? How many terminals you got back there?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 63
The Quad11L have 4 wire posts which are jumped with brass straps. The manual suggests option B, to remove the pins and run 4 wires to each speaker. "To quote: Using seperate cables for treble and bass units reduces intermodulation effects and improves headroom and clarity. Where feasable, we strongly advocate bi-wiring."
The illustration shows 4 posts on the reciever with 2 wires to each post.
I just wonder if it would be a good idea instead, to seperate the wires at the amp to all 8 posts of both speaker set 1 and set 2 ?

My Castle Severn small floor standing speakers also have 4 posts which are strapped together. No manual but I assume the same applies.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10868

If you are bi-wiring your speakers, you can make either a connection to one speaker output - "A" - or to both outputs - "A&B".

Place "bi-wire" in a search engine.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 64
I like the idea of both because it is easier than trying to cram 2 wires on 1 post. Thanks, kc

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8012
Kevin, there is a bi-wire and a bi-amp arrangement.
If you pull two pais of speaker runs from a common output from the amp, and feed matching pirs to the speakers(with the bridges removed) then you hava a bi-wire.
If you run pairs from the A+B outlets, using pairs for the lows and highs, you have a bi-amp.

Kind of.
See the amp splits the outputs for A and B, but the outputs themselves are under another protection circuit(I am guessing here, since the amp in question is not named).
This is a common arrangement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8013
And often creates a hum.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10871

"If you run pairs from the A+B outlets, using pairs for the lows and highs, you have a bi-amp.

Kind of.
See the amp splits the outputs for A and B, but the outputs themselves are under another protection circuit."

Nuck, how much have you been drinking?

That's not a bi-amp set up, KC. You cannot bi-amp with only one amplifier.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 65
For the Quad spkrs, it is a little old Onix integrated amp.
Not that it matters, but it has holes for jacks/plugs so you cannot connect bare wire. I could put the wires together on the same jack.

For the Castle speakers it is a Harmon Kardon. That is a giant amp with a million connections on the back. I listed those in my profile.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8014
Kind of, I said kind of.
Vigne, if we keep scaring everybody away, we won't have anybody to answer anymore. In a kind of work our way into the heart of the issue kind of way.
Ya know?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10874

KC - I don't know what you're saying now. You don't know where to connect the speakers? Or how? What's the question?

Nuck - It's scary to tell him he can't bi-amp with one amp?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 66
I will experiment today. 8 wires to 2 speakers. 2 pairs to each speaker.
At the amp end of the wire I will try both options:
1- 8 ends on 4 posts of speaker A, as shown in the Quad manual, and
2- use all 8 posts, 4 from speakers A and 4 from speaker B.
I assume this was actually designed to hook 2 seperate sets of spkrs to the amp. I get that you say that is ok too.
Funny, when I got my Castles I did not realize there were no straps and for a couple hours I thought the speakers were terrible, no bass at all :-), Doh!
Now we see if I can hear anything.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1430
Kevin, some amps with A+B outlets are two circuits and the sound can be sourced from A or B or simultaneaously with a switch (usually signified A B or A+B). Other amps (like my C272 power amp) have 2 sets of speaker outlets A and B and are not switchable, these are designed for bi-wiring. If you have the former, I suggest you bi-wire the Quads by using just the two speaker (say A) left and right outlets 2 x( + and -) on the amp end and 4 cables into each speaker. Be sure to remove the joining straps (rods) on the speakers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10880

I've never come across an amplifier with A+B switching that wasn't simply two speaker connections wired either in parallel or series from one set of output devices. To my knowledge, all modern amplifiers are wired in parallel. The switch is merely a convenience function and in no way does it "separate" the amplifier into two sections.

If anyone actually knows of a specific amplifier with A+B switching that is not wired in parallel from single outputs, please let me know. Zone 2 operation doesn't count here. (The original Sony receivers brought into the US are the only amplifiers I know of that were wired in series. But, they had the volume control knob on the wrong side also.)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1433
Yes, I was wrong about it being 2 circuits and like the NAD a second set of speakers can be hooked to the B speaker connections, only with my C272 there is no switching. which has nothing to do with the post.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1434
I'll be damned if I know what I was thinking at the time! Either a lack of sleep or early dementia. Apologies Kevin

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 67
Thanks to all. I couldn't get out to buy wire today but will try out the "b" wire tomorrow on both the Quads and Castle.
Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8031
Where I was heading, before beer, is that some amps will offer seperate output protection on B channels, and not just a handy parallel connection alone. But a shared power supply, yes of course.
Unless we consider a 5 channel power amp, but this is stereo only, so never mind.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10882

"Where I was heading, before beer, is that some amps will offer seperate output protection on B channels, and not just a handy parallel connection alone."

Never seen this, Nuck. It would seem to leave one pair of speakers open to catastrophic failure of the outputs. Or, at the least, add to the complexity of the amplifier for no good reason I can think of. Any particular models you can name?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8035
http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/detail-cap-2100.htm

This Classe is like that. No, Dammit, wrong link.

Have a look anyhow, I look again.

Complicated outputs?
Definately.
Effective?
Yes, same as my amp.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10885

Nuck - I read the linked blurb twice but didn't find anything that referred to separate A/B speaker protection. Can you lead me to a more specific site so I don't have to wade through pages and pages of information?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 68
Well I could not swear in court that the Quad11L sound better fed with 4 wires each but I think so.
Problem is, I am still infatuated with the new speakers that I cannot be sure. Sound great anyway!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us