What's a good match for these speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 51
Polk R300 front right/left
Polk CSRblk center speaker
Polk R150s rear left/right (maybe two pair for 7.1 or I'll use my old JVC speakers for the mid rear speakers)

I've heard these speakers can be a bit bright and I've heard Onkyo receivers can play a bit bright...so are these two a bad match? If so I'm thinking maybe Pioneer may be a good match for my budget which is less than $500 and should probably be closer to $300 to play it smart.

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 37
Might consider HK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Would HK receivers bring down some of the treble in my Polk speakers? I do like the tweeters in these speakers but sometimes I feel they need some midrange brought out of them but right now I'm chalking that off to using at least a 6 year old JVC reciever.

These Polks I have tend to carry an 89db sensitivity which I find kind of low. I know power ratings are different depending upon the way they are measured but the HKs seem to be rated very low...Would the lower priced HKs be a good match to my speakers since the power ratings are so low compared to the not so great sensitivity rating of my speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 89
check this out

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538500742?v_c=Yahoo

or I would do like dennis said and check out H/K
dont let the power ratings fool you on the H/K they will do those polks some good.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 191
I have the Pioneer receiver. Not a bad piece of gear...

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 725
"I've heard these speakers can be a bit bright and I've heard Onkyo receivers can play a bit bright...so are these two a bad match?"

I think you answered your own question there buddy...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Gavin, so you are confirming that the Onkyo receivers are a bad match for my speakers? I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer my own question since I've never really tested an Onkyo receiver especially with my Polk speakers.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 735
have you even heard these speakers though? you may not feel they are bright to your ears. Brightness is in the ear of the beholder.

I myself would not use that combination, but you may find it satisfactory.

As for my personal preference, I will also give the nod to H/K and Pioneer.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 73
H/K is a classic favorite with Polk Speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Gavin, I own the two Polk R300s and one CSR center channel and love them even though they are playing through my ancient JVC receiver. I wasn't disagreeing with you just confirming what I've heard elsewhere is true on this site.

What do you guys think of the H/K avr-340-z for $348 plus around $24 shipping? Can I do better than that for sound? I don't need HDMI just two optical connections minimum.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 744
oh I know you weren't... I was just stating that it was my personal preference, and that you may find that you like a brighter sound than I do.

How old is your JVC? FWIW, an Onkyo will be a step up from a JVC, but the H/K will be in my opinion better yet, but it depends on what type of sound you are looking for.

I feel that the H/K will give you a more relaxed, easy to listen to sound that you will want to listen to, but I could be wrong. My mother loved the sound of my Onkyo paired with my Klipsch speakers, and that was fatigue city for me, but she could sit and listen for several CDs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I bought it from Sears JVC RX-6008V as an open box item about 6 years ago. I think my wife would prefer the more relaxed sound and I wouldn't mind it either if the system will crank up and put me into the movie when I want it to.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 749
The H/K will do both.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us