Amp choice

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 66
I am looking at the Rotel RMB1080 or a PS Audio Trio A100. I can get both of them used locally for around the same price. They will be driving Era D5's. I have not auditioned them yet, but kind of like the idea of the cool running class D amp. The Rotel has more power 200w v 150w. Any thoughts would be appreciated guys. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7894
Patrick, you must have read this, then.

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/608/

Most of the class D reviews, go along the lines of 'sounds like' or 'could sound like'.

What pre amp will you use, and the source?

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 67
A Marantz receiver and a NAD 542 CD player

Gold Member

Post Number: 7898
Which receiver and how is the 542 plugged into it right now?

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 68
Older Sr5500 and I am using the analog connections. I will be upgrading them as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7900
I am not finding links to tech specs on the era D5's, either. Y'all got one?
Are they bi-wire?
Sensitivity?

5" driver and 1" high is all I find

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 69
This may help Nuck

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=45

Gold Member

Post Number: 7901
Here's this on the D5's.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_2/era-d5-speakers-6-2007.html

85db, 8 ohm.

Note the sub!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7902
I think we be crossing posts, PB!
funny

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 70
haha
The bass from the D5's is really amazing, highly enjoyable even with a receivers amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7903
OK, well I am a bit partial to the performance of the Rotel power amps(I still have a couple).
The PS Audio, I am not familiar with. How are the specs on the PS as far as difficult speakers(yours are not), and low impedence?
The Rotel can drive low impedence/difficult speakers, but this may not be an issue for you.
At least not at the moment.
I have found most digital switching amps to be dry and unemotive. Again, I have not heard the PS Audio unit.

Is anybody else listening?!?
Wanna help PB?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7904
BTW, none of my Rotel amps have ever run hot, even under, uhh, duress!

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 71
Well thats good to know that the Rotel amp doesnt run hot, that is a concern of mine.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 44
Never heard the PS Audio before, but your can't go wrong with Rotel. It will sound great.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1958
I haven't heard PS Audio before either, but from what I know of the company overall, they make rock solid, no frills products. Sound quality and charecteristics aside, PS Audio amps should be very well built, if that helps.

Rotel are also very well built, if I implied they weren't. But from reputations alone, again having not heard PS Audio amplification before, PS Audio should be a level up from the likes of Rotel, NAD, Marantz, etc.

You have to keep system synergy in mind here. I don't know how well a Marantz receiver used as a pre-amp, a Rotel or PS Audio power amp, and an NAD CD player will mesh together. It wouldn't be my pairing, but thats just me. Are you looking to slowly reveamp the entire system, or just looking to add power?

If you're building a new system and are building around your next purchase, then that really makes a huge difference. Good thing about used products is that if they don't work out, you can usually get rid of them for little if any loss so long as you bought at the appropriate price.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 72
I am looking for more power first, and then looking to build the system up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7934
PB, if you are deciding on the future, you would be well advised to look into the other componants now, before moving on the amp.
Check into preamps and cdplayers from each brand.

Find out prices on each line, new and used and look into reliability and so on.
Which systems offer balanced connections? Are the units serviced somewhere near you?
What does your dealer say?
You are working with a reputable dealer, aren't you?

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 73
I will be using the 2 channel amp as part of a home theater, letting the receiver power the center & surrounds. I wanted better quality for the mains instead of getting a multi channel amp

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 74
well actually 60% 2 channel music, 40% movies

Gold Member

Post Number: 7940
A lot of us have done the same thing, PB, and that is the best way to go for you, from my seat.

But do investigate the rest of the line from the man's, the lists of old gear might be interesting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us