Yamaha RX-V861 Recommendation

Username: Lrey

Post Number: 1
Hello All I am new to this thread but have been reading for some time.

I am looking at purchasing the Yamaha RX-V861. I currently have an older model Yamaha. I have only owned Yamaha and am looking to find out if there is something better for the price that I will purchase this unit. I can get for about 650.

I really like this Yamaha for the HD upconversion to 1080, the IPOD connection. Does anyone have a recommendation on anything similar for this price with these features?

I am also trying to find some speakers that will match well with this unit. I currently own an old yamaha speaker set smaller then bookshelf speakers and small sub. I am looking to spend about 500 on the speakers.
I am on a budget with the speakers so I could get some now and wait until later or is there a bundle that I can get that is worth it. I am currently thinking I need floorstandings because i like to listen to cd music and do not feel i get the bass I need with the small satellite speakers from Yamaha. Any Recommendation?

Any help would be appreciated...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7888
Luis, are you intending on watching dvd, listening to the pod, both in 2 channel?
Is this your goal?

Post Number: 3
Thanks Nuck for commenting.

My intention is to do 6.1 for Movies and two channel for CD and IPOD which I think the floorstanding will work better for.

I also have a SACD player (Pioneer Elite) which I also connect to my current Yamaha to get better quality sound from my music but am limited to the lack of SACD on the market. Especially for Latin music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7896
Luis, I cannot comment on 5 speaker packages, other than you may as well keep what you have.
As for receiver features, a dvd player can opsample better than a receiver, and an ipod dock is available for dirt cheap, so no improvement there.

I bet the Yamaha sales guy hates me.

Keep your money. Do nothing. Until the music entices you enough to seek out something that will excite you for more than a month, it is money lost. Just one Nuck's opinion.

I am not trying to shoot you down, Luis, just point out that one yadda is the same as another yadda, until you find either a blockbuster deal, or set your sights a little higher.
Salsa is made to move your hips, not inexpensive gear.
No, I cannot dance.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 115
Audio Lords save us all; Nuck, I love it, you also are probably right.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the feedback so I guess we need to get into some more serious conversation.

What do you think it would cost me to get some serious speakers or at least something that will really get my hips moving.

What about axiom speakers? Do you think I should get all speakers from the same company. For example axiom floorstanding and Bose surround?

Let's up the ante and talk speakers for 6.1 surround what is the recommendation and CAN we keep it under 800 for all speakers.

Post Number: 5
Oh and one more thing... Any thoughts on the Yamaha Receiver? Do you think I can get something better for the price?

For listening purposes...

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 45
for listening purposes..yes. The NAD T743 is being sold for 600 CDN in most audio stores that are still carrying it because of the T744 that is now out which goes for 850 to 900 CDN. If you need HDMI, no such luck. Or go with a entry level Harman Kardon WITH HDMI and it too will sound better in my opinion then the yammy. Axiom speakers sound great, BOSE sound like If I were to throw a hammer into a heaping tower of stacked tin cans. I hate BOSE. So should you. lol just my opinion though. Maybe look into some entry level Paradigm surround or entry level Mission or something decent if all speakers need to be under 800 dollars. Cheers.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Nick so no Yammy I should be looking at a NAD. Or if I want HDMI go Harmon. And here I have been think Yamaha was good stuff... THX

Thanks for the info on speakers do you recommend getting all of the same brand. All Mission or OK to mix and match.
Thanks again. My budget is so that I can a few things now. And later get some others. So would you recommend getting mission fronts and paradigm rears?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 48
I would recommend all the speakers be the same brand for proper timbre matching. Yamaha is O K. But the NAD or H/K will sound better. You may be happier with the H/K, seeing that they put a lot of effort into connections and different features. The NAD's are simple, and put all their money and engineering into the sound. Oh and I would recommend the paradigm over missions. Are you located in Canada / US?

Post Number: 7
I am in US.

How much would I be able to get a set of Paradigm for?

Another question can I get the same quality pictures from Component and HDMI. Do you see component as a beter connection then HDMI.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 49
Depends if you want to fall into the marketing hype of 1080P? Is you TV more then 60 inches big and will you be sitting 5 feet away from it? If not then you wont be able to tell the difference between HDMI and Component. The 1080P tv's claim to do 1080P but just upconvert 1080i. Does your tv even do 1080P? In my opinion...1080P is one large marketing scheme at the moment. You can get yourself an entry level Paradigm Monitor Series 5.1 set up for appr. a Grand taxes in/US. If you go with the Cinema series then it gets even cheaper. Here is a link to a H/K receiver at your price range: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258921&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03031&id=1170289629684

Post Number: 8
My TV claims to do 1080p.

So Paradigm I will look into them.

Starting to feel that the HK is not the right option if I want to listen to quality sound.

Does the NAD do good video or should I go with video from TV to DVD instead of using a receiver in between. My TV has more then enough video connection in the back..

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 50
H/K still have a nice sound. But your right, NAD will sound better. NAD will do just fine for Video, but if your TV has enough inputs then go direct from the DVD to the TV. For your price range/sound quality ratio you can't beat the entry level NAD. Unless someone knows something I don't for 650 dollars.lol. Cheers.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Nick.

Anybody Else has something else other then Nad?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7912
I am backing the HK on this one.
The Nad is likely to sound warm because the highs are rolled off kind of early, thus saving the possibility of fatigue. The HK in the range are more likely to present a fuller range, inclcuding the upper registers. If your speakers or ears do not like this presentation, then I hope returns are possible.
Try to listen to each, with your cd's.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 51
Nuck makes a good point, my opinion of what sounds better could totally be a different ear to someone else. You should try to audition both. My opinion is the new H/K stuff isn't what it use to be. But a lot of people still love the sound. My friend has a H/K 645 with all Paradigm speakers and it sounds really good.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 52
I will explain why i like nad better then H/K. The friend that has the H/K 645 had me bring over my NAD 763 receiver when I first got it to compare it to his because I had bugged him to buy one and he is a die hard H/K guy. We set mine on top of his and just plugged in mainly everything quick. His receiver was around 1800 when he bought it and so was mine roughly. The nad defenetly with his set up was better than the H/K for sound quality. He now is in the market for a new receiver but is leaning towards Rotel. Either way that was what made up my mind. Could have been the speaker match up was better I am not sure. My friend though also said he liked the warmer sound better, you may not. You may like the darker sound of the H/K. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7918
The progression from HK to Rotel seems to be a regular one, reasons unknown. While the HK is accurate across the range(for me) and the power has always been plentiful(nothing new in 10 years for me), the HK receiver I had, a measly AVR55 could power difficult speakers with ease.
Very difficult speakers.
I moved on to Rotel, then on from there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So would you guys recommend getting a Home Theatre receiver just for sound and letting the TV and DVD player do the video?

Seems like it would degrade the quality of audio to also do video on the same receiver..

Thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7924
Luis, I figgured you would see where this is going.
Yes.
Keep the audio and video seperate.
The receiver or whatever is for audio, and when you view it as such, it becomes an audio componant, not the be all and end all.
Paying for audio is not like buying a car, fer instance.
I want a sports car, my SO wants a mini van.
Get both. The sports car wins, the minivan is something which serves a purpose, and is replaceable as newer, cheaper ones come along.
The sportscar, however, is revered.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Nice to be able to see the meaning of it all. Thanks it makes much more sense now. So now the queston...

Is NAD the device that will get me the sound I am
looking for at around 650 for a 6 channel audio receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7929
Very possibly, now, how about a nice integrated amp for listening to the music, instead of a room full of speakers for film?
I have a stereo, when I move the speakers within 4' of each other, the center channel appears out of nowhere for dialogue.
Most any stereo setup can do this with careful placement.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 53
Luis, you will obtain the sound you are looking for from either NAD or H/K. Both sound very good. Nuck has a good idea. If you do an integrated amp and one really good pair of speakers, you can put a bit more money into the speakers, and then down the road when your budget becomes open again for some audio you can slowly upgrade one piece at a time. Its fun.lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Nuck you now have my mind racing here.

Can someone recommend a pre-amp and a 7 channel ampliflier something entry level for the budget conscious like me?

Thanks in advance,

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 49
I think you had a good one picked out from the start. It got excellent reviews from what I read of it saying something to the effect that it had a very theater like sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
You mean the Yamaha RX-V861? I was blasted out of the water for mentioning this.
I am now looking around and need to hear the HK for comparison and maybe looking at doing a preamp amp unit.
So you like Yamaha how about low budget speakers?
Do you like the Polk Audio speakers...

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 54
I don't own a Yamaha receiver but I've read good things about them in reviews so take it with a grain of salt and listen for yourself somewhere if possible. I also have a friend that has a Yamaha sound system and loves it but like myself he probably has limited experience listening to other systems.

I love my Polk speakers (R300s and CSRblk hhgregg cheapo's really) they really have an expensive sound for what I gave for them ($30 each for the R300s and $80 for the center channel)...

I'm pretty much a newb at this so Nuck and Nick probably have more expert advice about what's best than I do.

Username: Midiyuga

Post Number: 1
Just bought a Yamaha RX-V881.
Love it, EXCEPT for the fact that it loses the video out using the HDMI output after 10 minutes or so. Does any one knows what is happening?

Eliu
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us